Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 16th Feb 10, 3:01 PM
    • 682Posts
    • 4,308Thanks
    budgeteer
    What frugal find came your way today?
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:01 PM
    What frugal find came your way today? 16th Feb 10 at 3:01 PM
    I'm not talking groceries here, (although they are wonderful too)

I mean items that you had decided not to purchase but came your way in frugal fashion - asked around for and were gifted, freecycled, found in a skip or on the street, charity shop, or home-made by someone for you.

A couple of weeks ago I was admiring a 'bunny in a box' Easter egg. I really liked this bunny and kept thinking how nice he'd look sitting on our bed The price was an extortionate 6.99! so I didn't feel it was a good buy. I promise you that I only pointed it out to someone I work with and she said 'Oh, I got that last year and its been in the back of the wardrobe ever since. You can have it if you like. I was going to chuck it away to make more room.

I'm so glad I resisted the urge to buy it. Now I have a lovely brown rabbit and saved him from the land-fill

My colleague didn't want anything for him, but I will take her in a couple of home-made muffins next time I bake

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 23-02-2010 at 7:45 PM.
Page 1
  • zarazara
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:15 PM
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:15 PM
    I found a hazel stick in the hedge, I aim to make it into a walking stick.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
  • zarazara
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:18 PM
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:18 PM
    I found some silk flowers in a bin the other week. they look nice in my kitchen kitchen window after a wash and tidy up.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
  • Norman Bean
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:20 PM
    I inhierited (sp?) a set of three Mason and Cash pudding basins from my nan.
    I LOVE them but the second largest of the set was missing .... found new ones on bay of e for about 25 I was umming and ahhing for ages (even before I was MSE!) and finally decided it was too much money.

Whilst visting my parents at xmas I saw a pudding basin in CS for 50p - bought it and lo and behold it's the missing basin!!! Couldn't believe my luck! Now everytime I see the 4 basins nestled together it makes me feel all warm and fluffy

But of course now I want ALL of the 'missing' the pudding basins

Well done on your rabbit !
    Bon App's Scraps!
    MFb40 # 13
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 16th Feb 10, 3:20 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    I found a hazel stick in the hedge, I aim to make it into a walking stick.
    Originally posted by zarazara
    Oh what a nice, creative idea
  • Reverbe
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:22 PM
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:22 PM
    A free dvd from a token in my flatmates paper, the Sainsburys magazine and a brand new book in the charity shop that I had been looking at at full price - for only 1.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 16th Feb 10, 3:23 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:23 PM
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:23 PM
    I found some silk flowers in a bin the other week. they look nice in my kitchen kitchen window after a wash and tidy up.
    Originally posted by zarazara
    Nice good find
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 16th Feb 10, 3:27 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:27 PM
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:27 PM
    I inhierited (sp?) a set of three Mason and Cash pudding basins from my nan.
    I LOVE them but the second largest of the set was missing .... found new ones on bay of e for about 25 I was umming and ahhing for ages (even before I was MSE!) and finally decided it was too much money.

Whilst visting my parents at xmas I saw a pudding basin in CS for 50p - bought it and lo and behold it's the missing basin!!! Couldn't believe my luck! Now everytime I see the 4 basins nestled together it makes me feel all warm and fluffy

But of course now I want ALL of the 'missing' the pudding basins

Well done on your rabbit !
    Originally posted by Norman Bean
    Thanks

That was lucky
    It's uncanny how often these things turn up when you just have a little patience isn't it?
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 16th Feb 10, 3:30 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:30 PM
    • 16th Feb 10, 3:30 PM
    A free dvd from a token in my flatmates paper, the Sainsburys magazine and a brand new book in the charity shop that I had been looking at at full price - for only 1.
    Originally posted by Reverbe
    Yay That reminds me that I had been looking at a knitting book on Amazon - and found it for 1 in a charity shop too!
  • Norman Bean
    Thanks

That was lucky
    It's uncanny how often these things turn up when you just have a little patience isn't it?
    Originally posted by budgeteer

Thinking about it the same thing happened with two enamal pie dishes - I had two (no. 2 and 4) and found no. 1 and 3 in a CS ... perfect fit - I must have a good eye
    Bon App's Scraps!
    MFb40 # 13
    • Icey77
    • By Icey77 16th Feb 10, 3:57 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    Icey77
    I've been keeping an eye on eBay for an Ikea Leksvik side table. Finally one came up and I can nip over to collect it this week and it was less than half the price of a new one
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 16th Feb 10, 4:00 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    I tend to get quite a few things of freecyle, hunt round charity shops and car boot sales. Most if the time my OH thinks i've gone mad.

So far some of the things i've found/received/made.
    Turned DS1's old bed into a bench (now in front room) and shelves(in his room)
    Old bedding and duvets into cushions for above bench.
    A broken chair - i'm planning on turning this into a stool. just need to saw the top bit off. (found it dumped by the bin)
    A computer chair - again found it by our bin, its a bit dodgy but it works all right.
    A sewing machine (freecycle)
    Brand new unopened kitchen cupboards, worktop and tiles - freegle (my landlady took one look at it fully built and was so impressed she said right i'll pay for a new kitchen).
    Three hand made rugs (freegle)
    2 violins + music books (freegle)
    All of the Harry Potter / Narnia books in the charity shop (my son loved me for this, made his christmas)
    Countless tools of car boot sale
    Acoustic guitar, book + case for 15 off a carboot sale, brand new it would have been about 150.
    A oldish tv off freegle.

My boys (aged 9 and 5 yrs old) love me for my bargain hunting and think i'm brilliant.
    Now my eldest has a list of things for me to make/ find, not so good .

Wow a hazel stick fantastic!
  • Hardup Hester
    I've just helped a friend start clearing her Mum's flat, she died just before Christmas. I came home with a jacket, a cardigan, 6 books, 2 jars of Marmite, 6 part balls of wool, a packet of macaroni & a small holdall. My friend also bought me a sandwich for lunch as a thank you.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Winged one
    I brought a wedge of Victoria sponge over to neighbours the other night (I had baked for a visitor, who had also brought cake herself and both were fresh cream) - just to share not for anything. But they also had a load of curry sauces in the fridge (from her job, for testing) and I ended up with 3 of those in return! Yum - cos we ADORE those sauces anyway!!
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 16th Feb 10, 4:07 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    Kezlou, that's an impressive list
    My hubby is similar too

He has made a bed base and single head-board from mostly recycled wood - and a welsh dresser which has a lot of wood picked up from the beach. A table using skip off-cuts of oak! (This won him runner-up woodworker of the year award one year) and a bench using a plank of hardwood that was lying in a stream
    Our old sofa, is now bench seating for the other side of the table. I could go on

It is so beautiful so see these items around the home and garden. They all have a history and memories to treasure don't they?
  • rachbc
    a gorgeous monsoon dress for a friends wedding for 4.99 in Age Concern, 2 tops for my little one for 1 each and 2p on the street lol
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 16th Feb 10, 4:44 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    I think they great excellent memories especially the bench in our house, it was one of the first things we made as a family, from the frame to the cushions. My boys keep showing it and proudy say thats my old bed its brilliant isn't it.

Wow well done on your husband with with runner up contest, that's amazing .

Today me and the boys just finished making the raised beds in the yard from a neighbours old wardrobe, looking forward to seeing the birds and bee's back again. It was wonderful last year.

Well i best get back to making the curtains for the kitchen door.
  • Trinny
    Hi There

Most of our furnityre was left behind on purpose by the previous owner of our house, we were given quite a bit of furnature and got a bookcase from freecycle.

The best in OH point of view is all the demi Johns and brewing buckets he has got from charity shops, freecycle etc.

I would always rather reuse than get new - our house is a little shabby but really comfy and we are happy as we are

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May 39.47/55. June 47.20/50. July 38.44/50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
  • knithryn
    Best CS find recently was a off-white/cream silk& linen suit - trousers, jacket and top, ideal for wearing with a black shirt and black shoes (think Chanel).
    And a pair of unworn trousers for work...(chino style, ideal for spring into summer)
    Oh yes and a top...
    Yeah, serious retail therapy for 6 total.
    Other Half laughs at my rather paltry efforts to 'spend money on buying something I like'.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 16th Feb 10, 5:54 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    I picked up a lovely oak standard lamp from someone on freecycle the other day. I've been wanting one for the dining room for a couple of years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,990Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin