»

What frugal find came your way today?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

What frugal find came your way today?

edited 23 February 2010 at 8:45PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 163.3K views
budgeteerbudgeteer Forumite
628 posts
✭✭
edited 23 February 2010 at 8:45PM in Old Style MoneySaving
I'm not talking groceries here, (although they are wonderful too:j)

I mean items that you had decided not to purchase but came your way in frugal fashion - asked around for and were gifted, freecycled, found in a skip or on the street, charity shop, or home-made by someone for you.

A couple of weeks ago I was admiring a 'bunny in a box' Easter egg. I really liked this bunny and kept thinking how nice he'd look sitting on our bed :rotfl:The price was an extortionate £6.99! so I didn't feel it was a good buy. I promise you that I only pointed it out to someone I work with and she said 'Oh, I got that last year and its been in the back of the wardrobe ever since. You can have it if you like. I was going to chuck it away to make more room.

I'm so glad I resisted the urge to buy it. Now I have a lovely brown rabbit and saved him from the land-fill

My colleague didn't want anything for him, but I will take her in a couple of home-made muffins next time I bake:)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• zarazarazarazara Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    2.3K posts
    I found a hazel stick in the hedge, I aim to make it into a walking stick.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • zarazarazarazara Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    2.3K posts
    :)I found some silk flowers in a bin the other week. they look nice in my kitchen kitchen window after a wash and tidy up.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • I inhierited (sp?) a set of three Mason and Cash pudding basins from my nan.
    I LOVE them but the second largest of the set was missing .... found new ones on bay of e for about £25 :eek: I was umming and ahhing for ages (even before I was MSE!) and finally decided it was too much money.

Whilst visting my parents at xmas I saw a pudding basin in CS for 50p - bought it and lo and behold it's the missing basin!!! Couldn't believe my luck! Now everytime I see the 4 basins nestled together it makes me feel all warm and fluffy :)

But of course now I want ALL of the 'missing' the pudding basins

Well done on your rabbit !
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • budgeteerbudgeteer Forumite
    628 posts
    ✭✭
    zarazara wrote: »
    I found a hazel stick in the hedge, I aim to make it into a walking stick.

Oh what a nice, creative idea :T
  • ReverbeReverbe Forumite
    4.2K posts
    A free dvd from a token in my flatmates paper, the Sainsburys magazine and a brand new book in the charity shop that I had been looking at at full price - for only £1.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
    628 posts
    ✭✭
    zarazara wrote: »
    :)I found some silk flowers in a bin the other week. they look nice in my kitchen kitchen window after a wash and tidy up.

Nice :) good find
    628 posts
    ✭✭
    I inhierited (sp?) a set of three Mason and Cash pudding basins from my nan.
    I LOVE them but the second largest of the set was missing .... found new ones on bay of e for about £25 :eek: I was umming and ahhing for ages (even before I was MSE!) and finally decided it was too much money.

Whilst visting my parents at xmas I saw a pudding basin in CS for 50p - bought it and lo and behold it's the missing basin!!! Couldn't believe my luck! Now everytime I see the 4 basins nestled together it makes me feel all warm and fluffy :)

But of course now I want ALL of the 'missing' the pudding basins

Well done on your rabbit !

That was lucky:eek:
    It's uncanny how often these things turn up when you just have a little patience isn't it?
    628 posts
    ✭✭
    Reverbe wrote: »
    A free dvd from a token in my flatmates paper, the Sainsburys magazine and a brand new book in the charity shop that I had been looking at at full price - for only £1.

Yay :T That reminds me that I had been looking at a knitting book on Amazon - and found it for £1 in a charity shop too!
  • budgeteer wrote: »

That was lucky:eek:
    It's uncanny how often these things turn up when you just have a little patience isn't it?

Thinking about it the same thing happened with two enamal pie dishes - I had two (no. 2 and 4) and found no. 1 and 3 in a CS ... perfect fit - I must have a good eye :rotfl:
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • Icey77Icey77 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I've been keeping an eye on eBay for an Ikea Leksvik side table. Finally one came up and I can nip over to collect it this week and it was less than half the price of a new one :)
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford

Got Married ~ 19th March 2011 :D

DD Born 16th March 2012 :D:D:D DS Born 3rd May 2014 :D:D:D