Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Jan 10, 3:05 PM
    • 12,685Posts
    • 43,658Thanks
    Nelski
    Cook Something Different Challenge
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:05 PM
    Cook Something Different Challenge 1st Jan 10 at 3:05 PM
    Heres something I have wanted to do for a while so I thought I would get some inspiration from the lovely OSers again

I have a slight addiction to cookery books (particularly the gorgeous chef ones think James and Jamie ) which i adoring peruse then put back on the shelf and head for my usual meal of chilli :rolleyes: I also have 2 lever arch files of recipes carefully clipped from magazines.

Not very money saving really - all that wasted paper and wasted efforts by those cute chefs. So............heres my challenge for 2010

Each week I am going to cook at least one thing I have never cooked before and challenge my skills as a cook (from a fairly low base i have to say) and also to challenge my tastebuds to try some different things.

So today I am starting as i mean to go on by cooking Jamies Roast Pork with balsamic baked roast potatoes and red onions. Not a massive stretch really but its a start for me

Anyone wanna join in and we can share our experiences?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 16-02-2010 at 8:05 PM.
Page 1
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 1st Jan 10, 3:20 PM
    • 114,210 Posts
    • 235,129 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:20 PM
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:20 PM
    Well I don't have the patience to follow recipes but today I decided to use up the half packets of odds and sods that had been languishing at the back of my cupboard. I didn't even bother with dosages and measures but just shoved in a pan the following:

Red lentils, split peas (which I had soaked), wholegrain rice, wholemeal pasta, celery, carrots, potatoes, parsley, onion, a garlic clove, xtra virgin olive oil, half a chicken stock cube, and a dash of parmesan, a bit of lo-salt. It came up a real treat!

Sorry Nelski for dumbing down your thread with the first reply. Your chef recipes sound quite posh in comparison...

Happy New Year all
    Last edited by Quasar; 01-01-2010 at 3:22 PM.
    Bread is like the sun: it rises in the yeast and sets in the waist.
    • Souk08
    • By Souk08 1st Jan 10, 3:25 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 18,070 Thanks
    Souk08
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:25 PM
    I'll join you! I usually just do one new recipe a month and I've got most of my food in for now so might be a wee while before I get to do anything but deffo go for it from Feb. I went to my lovley friends for dinner the other night and she had cooked an amazing meal from scratch with pud and I'm just not at that level but I want to be! I also have a cookery book or 3 on the go!!! Let's do it.
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • Money saving Diva
    Hi Nelski,

Aha! At last a challenge I might actually be able to do!

This month, we are for the first time trying to do a storecupboard challenge so we will be having to be more imaginative than normal to use what is here rather than just buying 'extras' to finish off a specific recipe. I anticipate that we will be eating a lot of meals that we just haven't bothered to try before. I too have saved recipes from here and online and own more cook books than I care to count, so I think I really should give it a go.

I will be a little restricted as we have a very small weekly budget for staples and extras we might need but I think that will just mean my experiments may be rather basic, but if that still counts then I would love to try and follow your challenge hon. It might help to focus me with meal planning etc. too.

I have a very finickity OH which doesn't help of course!

I think I will find a recipe I like and then post when I know we are cooking it each week.

Let us know how those odd roast potatoes of Jamies go!

Diva.x

Quasar - your 'recipe' sounds so healthy and nourishing! I think my OH would leave me if I served that up.. he is a fussy thing!
    Last edited by Money saving Diva; 01-01-2010 at 3:29 PM.
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 1st Jan 10, 3:29 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:29 PM
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:29 PM
    I will join this one too, we are always saying we eat the same dishes week in week out, if it's Monday it must be steak in our house LOL.. can I count my Jamie Oliver Turkey and Leek Pie that I made yesterday for this week? I am not cooking today as we are going out soon....happy New Year everyone.

I have a couple of recipe books that I just look at too...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 1st Jan 10, 3:39 PM
    • 114,210 Posts
    • 235,129 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:39 PM
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:39 PM
    Well, you lot are putting me to shame. I have some obscure recipe books from Italy and the old classic "The Constance Spry Cookery Book", so I might start the new year with the resolution to USE THEM and not just let them adorn a shelf.

I'm on it. Will try one this week.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 1st Jan 10, 3:46 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:46 PM
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:46 PM
    Goodness I really must try and use my collection more An idea I had was to cook from one book a week at a time (or longer). Thing is, I'm like Quasar, I don't follow the recipes and I don't want to be buying food especially for a recipe, I like cooking with what I have too, I think it is more economical. I do love reading recipes though. I think all the reading has helped me be better cook, the more recipes you read the more you realise that really they are all the same.

A great idea for a challenge though Nelski, and I've been loving the Baileys btw
    Last edited by thriftlady; 01-01-2010 at 4:01 PM.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Jan 10, 3:48 PM
    • 12,685 Posts
    • 43,658 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:48 PM
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:48 PM
    Hey Quasar (Happy New Year to you too ) thats great Id love to hear your obsure recipes they sound like fun
    Souk08 3 would be good I have about 33 so this challenge will last me a while i think
    MSD course it counts hun not all of my books are posh ones I also have a range of Delia, Mrs Beeton and various budget recipes I have saved and never used
    nearlyrich hiya I have never been into meal planning i must say i tend to default to chilli cos im hungry and need it NOW I doubt thats ever gonna really change for me but I am really keen to try some new ingredients maybe on a weekend. Chicken and leek pie sounds delish

Hey glad im not alone in my desire to add some new spice to my diet The jamie pork and balsamic potatoes and red onion were gorgeous and I can highly recommend. Next one for me has to have some stuff in I have never used before or didnt think i liked........runs off to grab a book.

Edited to say.....thriftlady cant wait to see the ones you are trying.....your everyday menu is more creative than my dinner party ones
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 1st Jan 10, 3:50 PM
    • 114,210 Posts
    • 235,129 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:50 PM
    • 1st Jan 10, 3:50 PM
    Goodness I really must try and use my collection more An idea I had was to cook from one book a week at a time (or longer). Thing is, I'm like Quasar, I don't follow the recipes and I don't want to be buying food especially for a recipe, I like cooking with what I have too, I think it is more economical. I do love reading recipes though. I think all the reading has helped me be better cook, the more recipes you read the more you realise that really they are all the same.

A great idea for a challenge though Nelsk,i and I've been loving the Baileys btw
    Originally posted by thriftlady

Ah but there's no law to say that we can't use a recipe as a basis and work around it according to our taste and means... Call it cheating maybe, but this is how fantastic new recipes are born. Here's hoping, anyway.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Jan 10, 3:59 PM
    • 12,685 Posts
    • 43,658 Thanks
    Nelski
    Ah but there's no law to say that we can't use a recipe as a basis and work around it according to our taste and means... Call it cheating maybe, but this is how fantastic new recipes are born. Here's hoping, anyway.
    Originally posted by Quasar
    I feel a new cookbook on the shelves soon.......The Sexy Italian Ladys Kitchen maybe........can i be your agent!!

Thriftlady - Respect for that collection - I thought I was bad
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 1st Jan 10, 4:00 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Absolutely
    • aplaceinthesun
    • By aplaceinthesun 1st Jan 10, 4:01 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    aplaceinthesun
    Ooooo I think I will join in with this challenge too if thats OK. I have quite a few recipe books but got loads of cookery magazines recently on Freecycle so should be able to get some inspiration. I probably wont do anything too unusual but it would be nice to have some meals that make a change from my usual basics! Will have a search and come back and post what I intend to have a go at, hopefully using things I have in already as both the cupboards and fridge/freezer are pretty full at the moment.
    • gizmo111
    • By gizmo111 1st Jan 10, 4:02 PM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    gizmo111
    I tend to do that - read something I like the sound of and then modify to whats in the cupboards. I also tends to do weird concotions from what I have left, which sometimes is great and other times absolute disaster!
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 1st Jan 10, 4:05 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 39,690 Thanks
    Glad
    I'm with you on this Nels (as always )

and a monthly swap of recipe books would be fun too,
    I've lots of old ones cut from mags too, mainly Family Circle which I used to get regularly,

and as we cook a meal to share every 2 weeks at least, maybe we should always make that a meal we haven't tried before then we can leave comments on how it tasted
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 1st Jan 10, 4:12 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 20,219 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    I'll definitely join in this challenge! I'm looking for ways to broaden my culinary horizons a little, so I'm definitely going to take part. Thanks for posting this. I'm up for this, oh yes

Kitchenbunny xx

• Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Jan 10, 4:13 PM
    • 12,685 Posts
    • 43,658 Thanks
    Nelski
    I'm with you on this Nels (as always )

and a monthly swap of recipe books would be fun too,
    I've lots of old ones cut from mags too, mainly Family Circle which I used to get regularly,

and as we cook a meal to share every 2 weeks at least, maybe we should always make that a meal we haven't tried before then we can leave comments on how it tasted
    Originally posted by Glad
    Fab idea course the one today was meant to be for you too but then you rudely go and get poorly:rolleyes: ............hope you are OK hun and have managed a bit more than the middle of a bit of toast

So I got 2 new cook books for christmas James Martin and Marcus Wareing My One Perfect Ingredient

So as I am off this week I am going to go for one from each .....Ill report back when I have decided what

Have posted the challengers list so you are all committed now including you Quasar xx
    Last edited by Nelski; 01-01-2010 at 4:29 PM.
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 1st Jan 10, 4:27 PM
    • 114,210 Posts
    • 235,129 Thanks
    Quasar
    Ok, my charity shop expeditions have yielded two further cookery books I had completely forgotten about and they sound interesting:

The Joy of Cooking by Irma and Marion Rombauer. American tome of over 700 pages, lots of recipes for all sorts and also lots of sandwich variations.

Radiation Cookery book (can't see the author's name). Relax, it's not THAT kind of radiation! It's a very old book with a ruined cover, printed in 1927 and was meant for the Regulo New World Cookers - the first gas cookers I guess? Inside I found also a couple of recipes cut from newspapers, and one has the date August 19, 1941. There's a recipe in the book for cooking a sheep's head, but I think I shall pass on that one . But the barley cream soup sound delish.
    Last edited by Quasar; 01-01-2010 at 4:29 PM.
    • focus888
    • By focus888 1st Jan 10, 4:47 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    focus888
    Great challenge, im not a good enough cook to create a new dish each week but im going to enjoy reading all yours posts and getting some ideas on new meals to have =D x
    Saving for Xmas 2017 - #65
    365 Penny challenge - #16
    How Much Will You Spend in 2017 - #16
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 1st Jan 10, 4:57 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I'm in The children have suggested some meals we haven't had for a while and I'm off to look in books for a brand new recipe

So today I am starting as i mean to go on by cooking Jamies Roast Pork with balsamic baked roast potatoes and red onions. Not a massive stretch really but its a start for me
    Originally posted by Nelski
    You should know the rules by now recipe and/or linkie, please and don;t let it happen again

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Jan 10, 5:10 PM
    • 12,685 Posts
    • 43,658 Thanks
    Nelski
    I'm in The children have suggested some meals we haven't had for a while and I'm off to look in books for a brand new recipe

You should know the rules by now recipe and/or linkie, please and don;t let it happen again

Penny. x
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Ill go stand in the corner miss

My dinner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,262Posts Today

7,713Users online

Martin's Twitter