PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cook Something Different Challenge

Options
Nelski
Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
edited 5 September 2023 at 3:33PM in Old style MoneySaving
Heres something I have wanted to do for a while so I thought I would get some inspiration from the lovely OSers again:D

I have a slight addiction to cookery books (particularly the gorgeous chef ones think James and Jamie :)) which i adoring peruse then put back on the shelf and head for my usual meal of chilli :rolleyes: I also have 2 lever arch files of recipes carefully clipped from magazines.

Not very money saving really - all that wasted paper and wasted efforts by those cute chefs. So............heres my challenge for 2010

Each week I am going to cook at least one thing I have never cooked before and challenge my skills as a cook (from a fairly low base i have to say) and also to challenge my tastebuds to try some different things.

So today I am starting as i mean to go on by cooking Jamies Roast Pork with balsamic baked roast potatoes and red onions. Not a massive stretch really but its a start for me:D

Anyone wanna join in and we can share our experiences?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 January 2010 at 4:22PM
    Options
    Well I don't have the patience to follow recipes :o but today I decided to use up the half packets of odds and sods that had been languishing at the back of my cupboard. I didn't even bother with dosages and measures but just shoved in a pan the following:

Red lentils, split peas (which I had soaked), wholegrain rice, wholemeal pasta, celery, carrots, potatoes, parsley, onion, a garlic clove, xtra virgin olive oil, half a chicken stock cube, and a dash of parmesan, a bit of lo-salt. It came up a real treat! :drool:

Sorry Nelski for dumbing down your thread with the first reply. Your chef recipes sound quite posh in comparison... :o:o

Happy New Year all :beer:
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Souk08
    Souk08 Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    Options
    I'll join you! I usually just do one new recipe a month and I've got most of my food in for now so might be a wee while before I get to do anything but deffo go for it from Feb. I went to my lovley friends for dinner the other night and she had cooked an amazing meal from scratch with pud and I'm just not at that level but I want to be! I also have a cookery book or 3 on the go!!! Let's do it.
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2010 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Hi Nelski,

Aha! At last a challenge I might actually be able to do!

This month, we are for the first time trying to do a storecupboard challenge so we will be having to be more imaginative than normal to use what is here rather than just buying 'extras' to finish off a specific recipe. I anticipate that we will be eating a lot of meals that we just haven't bothered to try before. I too have saved recipes from here and online and own more cook books than I care to count, so I think I really should give it a go.:rotfl:

I will be a little restricted as we have a very small weekly budget for staples and extras we might need but I think that will just mean my experiments may be rather basic, but if that still counts then I would love to try and follow your challenge hon. It might help to focus me with meal planning etc. too.

I have a very finickity OH which doesn't help of course!

I think I will find a recipe I like and then post when I know we are cooking it each week.

Let us know how those odd roast potatoes of Jamies go!

Diva.x

Quasar - your 'recipe' sounds so healthy and nourishing! I think my OH would leave me if I served that up.. he is a fussy thing! :rotfl:
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I will join this one too, we are always saying we eat the same dishes week in week out, if it's Monday it must be steak in our house LOL.. can I count my Jamie Oliver Turkey and Leek Pie that I made yesterday for this week? I am not cooking today as we are going out soon....happy New Year everyone.:beer:

I have a couple of recipe books that I just look at too...:o
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Quasar
    Options
    Well, you lot are putting me to shame. I have some obscure recipe books from Italy and the old classic "The Constance Spry Cookery Book", so I might start the new year with the resolution to USE THEM and not just let them adorn a shelf.

I'm on it. Will try one this week. :A
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 January 2010 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Goodness I really must try and use my collection more :D An idea I had was to cook from one book a week at a time (or longer). Thing is, I'm like Quasar, I don't follow the recipes and I don't want to be buying food especially for a recipe, I like cooking with what I have too, I think it is more economical. I do love reading recipes though. I think all the reading has helped me be better cook, the more recipes you read the more you realise that really they are all the same.

A great idea for a challenge though Nelski, and I've been loving the Baileys btw ;):beer:
  • Nelski
    Options
    Hey Quasar (Happy New Year to you too :beer:) thats great Id love to hear your obsure recipes they sound like fun:D
    Souk08 3 would be good I have about 33 so this challenge will last me a while i think
    MSD course it counts hun:j not all of my books are posh ones I also have a range of Delia, Mrs Beeton and various budget recipes I have saved and never used
    nearlyrich :wave: hiya :) I have never been into meal planning i must say i tend to default to chilli cos im hungry and need it NOW :D I doubt thats ever gonna really change for me but I am really keen to try some new ingredients maybe on a weekend. Chicken and leek pie sounds delish:T

Hey glad im not alone in my desire to add some new spice to my diet:D The jamie pork and balsamic potatoes and red onion were gorgeous and I can highly recommend. Next one for me has to have some stuff in I have never used before or didnt think i liked........runs off to grab a book.

Edited to say.....thriftlady cant wait to see the ones you are trying.....your everyday menu is more creative than my dinner party ones :)
  • Quasar
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Goodness I really must try and use my collection more :D An idea I had was to cook from one book a week at a time (or longer). Thing is, I'm like Quasar, I don't follow the recipes and I don't want to be buying food especially for a recipe, I like cooking with what I have too, I think it is more economical. I do love reading recipes though. I think all the reading has helped me be better cook, the more recipes you read the more you realise that really they are all the same.

A great idea for a challenge though Nelsk,i and I've been loving the Baileys btw ;):beer:

Ah but there's no law to say that we can't use a recipe as a basis and work around it according to our taste and means... Call it cheating maybe, but this is how fantastic new recipes are born. Here's hoping, anyway. :p
  • Nelski
    Options
    Quasar wrote: »
    Ah but there's no law to say that we can't use a recipe as a basis and work around it according to our taste and means... Call it cheating maybe, but this is how fantastic new recipes are born. Here's hoping, anyway. :p

I feel a new cookbook on the shelves soon.......The Sexy Italian Ladys Kitchen maybe........can i be your agent!!

Thriftlady - Respect for that collection - I thought I was bad :)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Quasar wrote: »
    Absolutely:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure