Pet Insurance E&L

Options
Hi all

I'm really hoping that someone can help....

I insured my cat for years with E & L insurance, however i had her put to sleep on 27/07/09 on the advice of my vet as she was suffering with liver failure.

I submitted a claim to E & L and they still have not paid out. The total care cost was in excess of £1000 which I had to put on my credit card. I have submitted all the information that E & L have asked for, my regular vet has called them, however they are refusing to continue with the claim as I can't prove where she had her routine vaccinations over the years....

Can anyone give me any advise to moving this along, i'm not in a position to be able to 'write off' that kind of money.

Thanks
Challenges - repay all credit cards by end of 2015
Starting the savings for retirement :rotfl:

DS aged 14, DD aged 3 :j

Comments

• wrangler5
    wrangler5 Posts: 100 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2009 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Unfortunately you might not have much choice. Please tell me you have seen at least some of the atrocious reviews E&L have earned for using any possible excuse to wriggle out of paying out?

They are known in the Industry as 'Excuses & Lies' for a very good reason. You may need to find out if there are any legal loopholes that you can use against them because they will use the small print in your policy against you at the first opportunity.

I still do not understand why this vile company has not been shut down. You don't need to dig very deep on Google to get an idea of what evil people they really are. I honestly do feel for you.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    Unless her death was due to not being vaccinated, it is irrelevant whether or where she was vaccinated. I had one of my cats PTS earlier and I worried about this, as the claim form asked the question and I had to say that she was not up to date with her vaccinations. They still paid out though (Direct Line).

I would put in a formal complaint, and take it to the Ombudsman if necessary.
  • thesim
    thesim Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    E & L Are well known for this. I'm so sorry, I cant offer any advice, but as another person said, unless the vaccinations were linked to liver failure it has nothing to do with it.
  • Morganarla
    Options
    They may be wanting to find out if at any point during the years, the problem that you are claiming for now started before her cover with them did.. If there is not a full history available with the claim (is it the first claim you've made for her?) then this could be the case, but it doesn seem like a classic E&L wriggle out..

OP I would start the internal complaints procedure. Any of their call centre agents is obliged to inform you of what this is and how to follow it.

Best of luck, can't be a nice thing having to try and deal with this months after kitty was PTS x
  • CLAIMSMANAGER
    Options
    Dear SJP

I am the Claims Manager at E&L insurance and I have noted your comments with interest. If you could please contact me I will personally take a look at your case and be happy to fully explain the status of your claim and any action we are taking.

I have noted some of the other postings in reply to your question and I would like to address some of the points raised. As an insurance company in the UK we are regulated by the Financial Services Authority and as such we have to comply with a strict code of guidelines to operate. We issue all our policyholders with policy documents providing full details of the cover on the policy, and we also have a quotes team that are available to answer any questions as policyholder may have with regards to the cover we offer. We make every effort to inform policyholders (either potential or existing) of the options available to them and the cover they have so if they need to claim they are fully aware of what they are covered for.

When processing a claim we always ensure we process the claim in line with our policy wording and we never attempt to avoid paying any claim that meets these criteria. Unfortunately as with all insurance our cover can not cover every eventuality and there are circumstances where we can not pay a claim, but I must stress this is always in line with our policy wording. I am happy to advise that E&L actually have a low rejection rate contrary to what may believed and we pay the vast majority of claim we receive.

I am always willing to listen to any comments in regards to E&L and I welcome anybody who has any questions to contact me at [EMAIL="Claims@eandl.co.uk"]Claims@eandl.co.uk[/EMAIL].

Yours Sincerely

Philip Bove
    Claims Manager
    E&L Insurance
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    I am always willing to listen to any comments in regards to E&L .....

Some more unbiased reviews here:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews57547.html

Recent words used include: unhelpful, steer clear, took 6 months to pay, never ever use, rude, worst, obnoxious
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    Dear SJP

I am the Claims Manager at E&L insurance and I have noted your comments with interest. If you could please contact me I will personally take a look at your case and be happy to fully explain the status of your claim and any action we are taking.

I have noted some of the other postings in reply to your question and I would like to address some of the points raised. As an insurance company in the UK we are regulated by the Financial Services Authority and as such we have to comply with a strict code of guidelines to operate. We issue all our policyholders with policy documents providing full details of the cover on the policy, and we also have a quotes team that are available to answer any questions as policyholder may have with regards to the cover we offer. We make every effort to inform policyholders (either potential or existing) of the options available to them and the cover they have so if they need to claim they are fully aware of what they are covered for.

When processing a claim we always ensure we process the claim in line with our policy wording and we never attempt to avoid paying any claim that meets these criteria. Unfortunately as with all insurance our cover can not cover every eventuality and there are circumstances where we can not pay a claim, but I must stress this is always in line with our policy wording. I am happy to advise that E&L actually have a low rejection rate contrary to what may believed and we pay the vast majority of claim we receive.

I am always willing to listen to any comments in regards to E&L and I welcome anybody who has any questions to contact me at [EMAIL="Claims@eandl.co.uk"]Claims@eandl.co.uk[/EMAIL].

Yours Sincerely

Philip Bove
    Claims Manager
    E&L Insurance

If your company is as good at dealing with claims as you would like us to believe, perhaps you would like to tell us why it has such an appalling public image?

• Fat_Boy
    Fat_Boy Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    Options
    I worked as a temp for E&L years ago (well about 15 maybe). It was almost Dickensian, it truly reminded me of a scene from Scrooge.

The 'supervisor' sat at the front of a dark miserable office overlooking rows of us temps sat at dark wooden desks with computers from the dark ages - they had green screens!! (am I conveying how depressing this place was?). Needless to say we had no training before we were put out live onto the phones and left to advise customers as best we could.....

The managers, such as your man in the post above, lived behind a plush looking double door at the back of our office that led to a brightly lit and plushly carpeted set of offices. We didn't see much of them....

Still makes me shudder when I think about how bad that place was compared to alost everywhere else I have ever worked. I lasted a week or so before not bothering to turn up anymore, I seem to remember I ditched them for a job flipping burgers at Lightwater Valley which was a whole lot better!!
    FB :heartpuls Wiggly

:j Last Cigarette 24/11/06 :j
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the E & L Claims manager is going to start answering posts on the internet complaing about their claims "service" they are in for a lot of overtime. Check how many returns this google search gives...

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=e+%26+L+insurance+complaint&meta=&aq=f&oq=&fp=4de6aef1efa46664
  • mrfrostie
    Options
    :mad:
    Our 18 month old Spaniel-MrPudge had an ear infection caused by a grass seed stuck in his ear-He needed a small operation and lots of antibiotics costing in excess of £500. Put in the claim on September 20th and they sent a letter on 30th October requesting a full history of the dog.
    He was treated for an unrelated ear infection last December however I'm guessing the any excuse not to pay out might kick in there.
    Phoned them today about the length of time it has taken to settle and was told that we had been put to the back of the pile as new information was received on the 31st October asked how long she replied they were working on the 8th of October today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure