Warranty Direct problems

Options
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help or advise on an issue i have with Warranty Direct.
I took out an 'Extra care' policy with them which covered most major parts of the car (see link here: http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/pdfs/6727-WD_Policy_BK_ExtraCare.pdf )
and was quite happy with the deal i got.
However, today my car is sat in a garage with a broken Gearbox, and warranty direct have refused my claim, stating that its a 'Fair Wear & Tear' Item.
However, even though i'm not a mechanic, i happen to know that a gearbox isn't replaced at a service interval, nor is it stripped down and inspected. Its expected to last the life of the car, not collapse at only 63,000 miles.
I have argued this point with Warranty direct, but they insist that all parts of the GB could fall into the FW&T bracket, but refused to name specific parts when i questioned them about it.
As a result of this, i decided to cancel my policy. I was put through to the relevant dep't and was told, "You can't cancel because you have made a claim"
I asked when, and they said "This morning". I pointed out that the claim had been refused, and they said "but you tried to claim, so the policy cannot be cancelled" :rotfl:
So, i have paid for a policy to cover parts of my car. The company won't pay for the repair because a major part of the car is now deemed a FW&T item. They won't refund the policy despite being in the 30 day cooling off period because i have made a claim that was rejected.
Does anybody know where i stand on this?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Comments

• Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    A gearbox isnt a servicable item no but I think its a bit wrong to say its meant to last the life of the car.

In essence servicing a gearbox or replacing it is of limited use as it will still go and isnt likely to cause other complications hence it is a part that is left til its dead. You still expect them to go sometime hence it is wear and tear. 63000 miles isnt great but its not terrible especially if its had a crap driver.

As for the rest yes this is correct. They will still have incurred costs in dealing with your claim whether they reject it or not and hence they are right to refuse to let you cancel. Frankly I am not surprised they are refusing to pay out on a gearbox within 30days. The cynic would suggest you knew it was dead or dying before you took the warranty.
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    What is actually broken? The gearbox is made up of a million things! You'd be surprised at how many parts fail these days.
  • daveyonthemove
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    A gearbox isnt a servicable item no but I think its a bit wrong to say its meant to last the life of the car.

In essence servicing a gearbox or replacing it is of limited use as it will still go and isnt likely to cause other complications hence it is a part that is left til its dead. You still expect them to go sometime hence it is wear and tear. 63000 miles isnt great but its not terrible especially if its had a crap driver.

As for the rest yes this is correct. They will still have incurred costs in dealing with your claim whether they reject it or not and hence they are right to refuse to let you cancel. Frankly I am not surprised they are refusing to pay out on a gearbox within 30days. The cynic would suggest you knew it was dead or dying before you took the warranty.
    I can't speak for the previous owner, but in the last 18 months/17,000 miles I've had the car, this is the only fault with the car. I've owned only 4 cars in the 10 yes I've been driving, so I have done more miles on each car, with NO accidents, so I'm not sure that my driving needs to be questioned.

I can see the point of view about the issue maybe being there from the start, I would probably think the same if the shoe was on the other foot, however the car had a major service and GB oil inspection less than 5k ago. It also had an MOT on the 31st September. No reports were made at either inspection about any faults/issues. Sadly it's just an unlucky coincidence.
    On that note, the warranty company haven't mentioned any concerns about the length of time between taking a policy, and the component faluire, they just stated that it's a FW&T issue that isn't covered. When pressed they refused to state a single item in the gearbox that is a FW&T item.
    When I took the policy I asked for an EG of a FW&T item, and they said the cambelt or water pump as both required changing at a service interval. This would exclude the gearbox on those grounds, as many mechanics have pointed out to me.
  • daveyonthemove
    Options
    What is actually broken? The gearbox is made up of a million things! You'd be surprised at how many parts fail these days.

The mechanic suggests a bearing faluire, but it hasn't been inspected yet due to the warranty company refusing to cover items they specify as being covered ( see the link for more details ).
    I'll drop into CAB tomorrow for some advice.
  • Anihilator
    Options
    I suggest you read the terms yourself.

Clearly excluded under term 2. The policy also indicates that the refund is allowed as no claim has been accepted. I am therefore inclined to believe they have incurred some costs even if they refuse to repair it.
  • daveyonthemove
    Options

Clearly excluded under term 2. The policy also indicates that the refund is allowed as no claim has been accepted. I am therefore inclined to believe they have incurred some costs even if they refuse to repair it.
    There have been no costs incurred. The warranty company have done no work (except saying no to the claim) and no work has been done to warrant the need for payment. It cost me more to ring them than it has for them to look at a computer screen.
    Clearly I'm outnumbered here by people who feel that taking money and offering no service is acceptable.
    Thanks for all the cynical comments and lack of help, I'll be sure to offer similar support should you have a problem in something I'm clued up on.
  • Anihilator
    Options
    LOL so you don't hear what you want too and its because we are unhelpful

The warranty terms clearly state wear and tear items are not covered in the first 90 days. A gearbox is a wear and tear item. Its open and shut.

You are if your telling the truth though entitled to cancel and get a pro rated refund.
  • daveyonthemove
    daveyonthemove Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2009 at 9:37PM
    Options
    It's not about not hearing what I want to hear.
    Please let everyone on the forum know which items in a gearbox are FW&T, and the intervals these items should be replaced at?
    If it was a brake disc, or a oil filter that self destructed, I wouldn't even call them as I'm fully aware that these items need replacing on a regular bassis.
    How many gearboxes have you changed?
    I honestly think that you're cynical of my situation, and have the "tough luck" attitude about it.
    At the end of the day, i'm a consumer who paid for a service and didn't receive what was promised. I bet most other users of this forum joined for the same reason, but maybe the motor trade is different to any other business and should be allowed to get away with it. Silly me for seeking advice and warning others.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Daveyonthemove, have another read of Anihilator's post...

He states (but I have not checked) that the policy indicates that a refund is allowed if no claim has been accepted.
    Have you checked the policy documentation?
    No claim has been accepted.
    Why don't you challenge them on this point?
    Discuss this point with CAB perhaps.
  • plane_boy2000
    Options
    I think the issue is that you do not know what specificaly has failed within the gearbox.

The document you linked to gives a list of gearbox components that are covered - it also states that if the item is not in the list then it is not covered. If you can prove to them that it is one of the listed components that has failed then I am sure they would reconsider your claim, but it sounds as though they are under the impresion that the failed component is a not covered item - you need to find out what exactly has failed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure