Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Serena pay twice for Blair?
    • 29th Oct 09, 4:34 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Serena pay twice for Blair? 29th Oct 09 at 4:34 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Serena pay twice for Blair?

Serena's getting hitched, and asks her friend Blair to be a bridesmaid. The frocks are all picked out and paid for. Yet two weeks before the big day, Blair goes on holiday and eats so much, she puts on a stone. Blair can’t squeeze into her outfit anymore, and the dress’s structure means it can’t be taken out. They need to buy a new dress, but Serena thinks Blair should pay for it.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 03-11-2009 at 5:04 PM.
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 3rd Nov 09, 10:32 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:32 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:32 PM
    Blair is already giving her time free to be Serena's maid for a day, she shouldn't be out of pocket as well.

If Serena wants her friend to dress a particular way then she foots the bill.

• RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 3rd Nov 09, 10:38 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:38 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:38 PM
    (Having been bridesmaid before), I would say definitely, absolutely not. Serena has more than enough to pay for and to worry about at this stage of the procedings. Blair is at fault here, as she overate (quite a lot, by the sounds of it) KNOWING that she had been measured up and the dress had been purchased. Blair must therefore stump up for the extra dress.

It would be different if Serena had asked Blair to do the honours post-holiday, for example, to fill in if someone had dropped out or as a surprise. Or maybe if Blair had fallen unexpectedly pregnant, they could have split the cost of a suitable new gown. But none of these alternatives are the case here. Blair should have been more careful, knowing she had already committed her friend to the expense of a dress. (I'd have been careful anyway, bearing in mind all the lovely and fun young chaps that usually come to a wedding, hehehe...).

And, if Blair was a true friend, she would not expect her friend to shell out for a SECOND dress just because she couldn't resist saying "Yes actually I WILL have that 87th helping of paella, Miguel.".
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 3rd Nov 09, 11:36 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 3rd Nov 09, 11:36 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 11:36 PM
    She must have been shovelling it down to gain a stone!!! If I was Serena I would not buy her another dress. I would tell her to go and buy a new dress or book an appointment for liposuction. Failing that I would just choose another bridesmaid or just be one short. Greedy cow!!!
  • Rainbow_Kitty
    • 3rd Nov 09, 11:59 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 11:59 PM
    I definitely don't think Serena should have to buy another dress! She should see if she still has the receipt and take it to the shop to swap it for a bigger size. If she can't exchange it then she should either ask Blair to pay for a new one and sell the old one on ebay later (then use the money to reimburse Blair for the cost of the dress - she probably wouldn't get that much for it, but that's not Serena's fault) or find someone else to be a bridesmaid who can fit in it
  • studioeng
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:00 AM
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:00 AM
    This is an easy one to answer. Blair went on holiday and chose to eat a lot knowing full well she had a 'fitted' dress to wear in two weeks time. Serena should not have to make up for Blair's lapse of judgement. Secondly, if Blair really didn't want to attend Serena's wedding, why didn't she just decline in the first place and save Serena the, now, much needed cash.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 4th Nov 09, 12:04 AM
    • 5,454 Posts
    • 9,028 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:04 AM
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:04 AM
    If I was Serena's position, I would politely tell her that she is no longer able to be the bridesmaid due to the issue. Similarly, if I was in Blair's position and Serena asked me to buy my own dress, I'd refuse to be the bridesmaid as previously planned.

I can see both sides of the argument here, and while it's Blairs fault I don't see why the bridesmaid should have to foot the bill for the dress in any wedding.
    • juno
    • By juno 4th Nov 09, 12:09 AM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:09 AM
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:09 AM
    I put my diet on hold coz I was my sister's bridesmaid and had to fit in my dress
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt 4578.27 0.00
    100% paid off

• Brightness
    • By Brightness 4th Nov 09, 12:59 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Brightness
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:59 AM
    • 4th Nov 09, 12:59 AM
    If someone is nice enough to ask you to be bridesmaid then you should be gracious enough not to gorge yourself on holiday! Blair should offer to pay for the dress and ask Serena to sell the other one (or do it for her) and ask if she can put the money towards the replacement!

Either that or survive on nothing but soup and yogurt for two weeks then she'd lose the stone she put on LOL
    • shellsuit
    • By shellsuit 4th Nov 09, 1:09 AM
    • 23,017 Posts
    • 41,912 Thanks
    shellsuit
    No, she shouldn't pay twice.

Greedy piggy wig Blair should put her hand in her pocket and buy another dress.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • newdawn
    Get your hands in your pockets Blair and stump up your money on a new frock!
    • harttss3
    • By harttss3 4th Nov 09, 7:36 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    harttss3
    Blair either foots the bill for the new dress (or a course of lipsuction!) or Serena asks someone else who the dress will fit to wear it on her big day!
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 4th Nov 09, 7:54 AM
    • 20,375 Posts
    • 215,341 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Blair should pay (if Serena still wants someone so inconsiderate to be her bridesmaid!)- she could obviously afford all that food on holiday!

She knew the wedding was coming, and yet she carried on - you have to ask if she really wants to be bridesmaid.

If I were Serena I would ask someone else to fill the dress.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 4th Nov 09, 8:19 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I agree with RuthnJasper, RainbowKitty and Jane Blackford. Mind you, it's not hard to lose a stone in 2 weeks. I've had to do it for a photoshoot before.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • RobbieD
    3 choices for Blair:

1 - buy a new dress yourself
    2 - get on a diet and down the gym
    3 - back out graciously and admit that you're a ******* greedy *****

No way should Serena stump up for Blair's gorging - it takes some going to gain that much weight so quickly - ask any pro rugby player that needs to "bulk up"

Shocking behaviour!!

No real friend would do that and she certainly shouldn't be rewarded for it. tut tut
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 4th Nov 09, 10:01 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    Get a new bridesmaid. The fat pig will probably scoff other people's food at the wedding too.
  • anjuliwoolhouse
    I agree with RuthnJasper, RainbowKitty and Jane Blackford. Mind you, it's not hard to lose a stone in 2 weeks. I've had to do it for a photoshoot before.
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    Blair should totally buy another dress or say she won't be a bridesmaid anymore. How selfish of her.

Any tips on how you lost a stone in 2 weeks?
  • iggy398
    iggy398
    Certainly NOT. The greedy woman knew what she was doing! If she can't control her greed, she should pay for the consequences - and learn a lesson.
  • spudz
    I agree with most of the comments that Serena shouldn't have to buy a new dress. Blair knew she was going to be a bridesmaid and what size the dress was so she should have been sensible when she was away. How can anyone put on a stone in just a couple of weeks anyway.
  • timrejones
    Wedding Dilemma
    Surely this is an exceptional circumstance. If Blair is the bridesmaid then she must also be one of the best friends of Serena. Wouldn't the best solution be to share the bill. Without sounding corny, friends are supposed to be there for each other, so the fact that Blair has put on so much weight and can't fit into her dress will be a bit of an embarrassment for her.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

9,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin