MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Serena pay twice for Blair?

Comments

• Blair should stump up for it or try to lose the weight. She knew the wedding was coming up and Serena shouldn't have to take responsibility for her.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its the law that the bridemaid should look like a fat frump to make the bride look even better, as she has gained a stone this is a bonus, cheap frock from TK Maxx will suffice, paid for by the cake muncher.
  • The moral of this is if your bridesmaid is going on holiday two weeks before the wedding, don't have the final fitting untill she comes back. Presumably Blair must have a habit of pigging out on hol, presumably as a good friend Serena would know this and could have made contingency plans. Or perhaps the dress was so b****y awful that Blair did it deliberately. Perhaps there are unspoken resentments at work here.......... what a can of worms weddings can be.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Having a fat bird stood beside Serena in the wedding photies may help her to look slimmer....
    It's obvious, fat bird pays up and by the sounds of it should get a dress a couple of sizes too big as it's still two weeks to the wedding!! Plenty more shovelling time!!
  • Actually, traditionally, the bridesmaids should pay for their own dresses, When I got married, my cousin told me this, and insisted that I did not pay for my bridesmaid dresses, even though I was intending to, Serena should not have paid for a dress in the first place, its an honour and a privilege to be asked to be a bridesmaid, Blair acted inconsiderately and should stump up for a new dress, or not be a bridesmaid at all!
  • cozlw
    cozlw Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Having been a bridesmaid on two occasions, I wouldnt expect the bride to purchase a new dress if I put on weight! I considered it an honour to be asked on both occasions, and consciously watched my weight and did the usual beauty regime to be presentable on the day.

If she put on weight then she should either lose it, or the bride should ask somebody else to step in. Its not fair for her to have gorged on so much food knowing that the wedding day was imminent.
  • It's difficult to believe that the dress cannot be altered in some way, with some floaty drapery or other to disguise the panel inserts of lace or toning fabric or SOMETHING. I agree that Blair was chosen as a best friend, so it is pointless to pass the dress on to someone who was not originally chosen.
  • Myamoth
    Myamoth Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Scarpetta is right, it is traditional for the bridesmaid to pay for the dress herself (I paid for my daughter's dress when her godparents got married), although it's not a tradition that's often followed. Blair should either lose the weight or pay for the new dress - and count herself lucky she's only paying for one, not both!
  • OMG! I cannot begin to think of the amount of food necessary to gain a stone so quickly!!! Eeewwww. But of course Serena should not pay again, and in fact, Blair should have paid half for her dress in the first place - brides have enough to pay for, and maybe that fact might have made piggy Blair think twice about shovelling food into her greedy mouth?
    So, Serena, get yourself another bridesmaid who thinks enough about you and your big day not to ruin it with only 2 weeks to spare.
  • No she should not pay twice. Blair knew she had a dress to get into and chose to have an overactive fork. She should pay for her own dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure