Complaints against Sky - anyone actually get anywhere with them?!

Options
Hi,

I'm curious to know if anyone who has had a complaint (or numerous complaints!) against Sky has actually received a satisfactory response...or even an acknowledgement?!

I ordered Sky+ (2 packages), Line Rental, Talk and Broadband over 6 weeks ago and so far the only service I have actually had installed is Sky+ which I am being billed incorrectly for and which fails to record 90% of what I attempt to record!

I won't bore you with the ENTIRE 6 week history but basically I have spent and incredible amount of time (and money!) on the phone to Sky 'customer services' and have got absolutely nowhere.

Becoming fed up with talking to scripted call handlers who were not willing to look into my complaint (they just told me to write to their HQ) I emailed Sky through their website. As the 'contact us' area of their website has a limit of 1000 characters I asked them for an email address I could send my entire complaint to - I received a response a few days later saying their website limited each contact to 1000 characters as it was an 'initial contact point' but that I could now send my email to [EMAIL="help@skycustomersupport.com"]help@skycustomersupport.com[/EMAIL] in order for them to fully resolve the matter, asking me to provide them with information as necessary.

Feeling as if I was finally getting somewhere I sent them an email outlining the entire history from the date I placed my order and made it clear what I wanted them to do. 6 days later I had still not had a response so did a bit of googling and found an email address for the Chief Exec of Sky [EMAIL="jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com"]jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com[/EMAIL] I forwarded on my email to him (I appreciate it won't have actually gone to HIM but hoped it would be picked up by someone relatively senior) but it's now been 3 days since I sent my email and I've had no response, not even an acknowledgment!

As have no idea when or if I will ever get Sky Line Rental, Talk or Broadband and as Sky seem to be unwilling to acknowledge that I am being billed incorrectly for Sky+ (which isn't even working correctly) I now just want to cancel the entire lot and get back the money I've paid them so far.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Sky or have any advice on what I can do to cancel everything and get my money back? Should I just cancel the direct debits I have set up? Who regulates this sort of thing, trading standards? Should I start the ball rolling with the small claims court?!

:confused:

Comments

• itsamystery_2
    Options
    If I was you I would cancel my Direct Debit to start with. That way they have to chase you for money and it is highly likely they will get in touch quickly.

Make sure you keep a detail record of who you spoke to and when you spoke to them. That way you can use it as evidence against them.

When you do get things sorted out, tell them that you want refunding for all telephone calls made. If they are reluctant, threaten to take them to SMC and report them to Ofcom. Also explain to them that they are getting off lightly because you are not charging them for your time.

I recently had a 'do' with Virgin Media. They messed things up for me and told them I wanted a months line rental, installation costs, call cost costs and compensation.

They came back with a £50 offer (£20 of which was comp.). I refused stating that it had cose me £50 already without time. They came back with an offer of £70 which I duely banked!
  • Diamond78
    Diamond78 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made numerous complaints to Sky, dating back from June 2008. I sent emails, made phone calls and also sent 2 letters via recorded delivery. In the end I cancelled after a year. I had been with them previously on and off for years and never had any problems or issues until last year. I sent a letter in june this year and still not got a response.
    I think there customer service is shambolic. Maybe they are recieving to many comaplaints and cant deal with them. Either way, they should respond. I would not of cancelled had they dealt or even tried to acknowledge my complaint as when I signed up to Sky, my brother recommended me and it was for the offer of getting Sky plus, which I never got!!
  • erichenderson
    Options
    Wow it took a bloody long time but i have finally managed to get Sky+ for completley free of charge. i have been a cusomer of sky for the past 3 years and have always wanted to upgrade to Sky+ but i have always argued and disagreed with paying the £30 connection fee, because i am already connected and i also totally disagreed with their 'You have to take Multiroom' if you want the free box offer!! Well, now that we live in Wales and in the digital switch over area there was on an offer on the Tv about 8 weeks stating that you could get a free box, i though hhmmm thats interesting so i called sky again to discuss an upgrade (About the 50th time) and was told that all i needed to pay was the £30 connection fee, i decided that the time was right to give in and pay for the connection but i first had to check if Multi room was a part of the offer, i was told no i didnt need to take it, yipee i thought and placed my order, i was told that due to the offer being so succesful i would have to go on a waiting list for the box but i would still get the offer. 4 Weeks went by and i had heard nothing so i called up to get a progress update on the order only to be told that i was on the list but if i did not sign to multi room i would not get the box for free (it would be £150), i explained the offer that i was given and was told that there was no record of this and that if i wanted the offer i would have to pay, i was furious and asked how much this would cost me and was told £4.95 per month, i was so angry i hung up. I called back straight away and had exactly the same converstion with another agent only to be told that multi room would coct me £9.95 a month!!! What!!!! I was so angry i hung up and headed straiight for PC to write them a letter, i sent four letters on the same day, 2 by email and 2 by post all to different addressess, i waited four weeks and had no reply at all, not even to say that they had recieved my letters, i called up once again to querie this and was told that it can take anything from 6 weeks to get a reply!!! However, i recieved a phone call yesterday to tell methat because of all the issues and upset that i have been caused they will be here on Saturday morning to install me a Sky+ box completely Free of charge, no connection fee, no multi room, no additional packages!! Get in there, it does pay to complain and it certainly pays to be persistant.
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • KBK247
    Options
    Yes i.v just recieved a letter from sky informing me my tv package is going up a pound to £17.50 from £16.50. I only been with sky for less than 3 months and there changing my contract and all so i have a letter from sky stateing my phone line rental will be £10 a month but it hasnt it has been £11 a month. Plus i had trouble with the installation having to fork out an £120 extra because ''there so called speacialized flat team'' said our flat was to high ???? and that it would cost that £120 extra to put the second feed in but if we never had a dish at all then it wouldn't of cost anything extra to have a dish put up and 2 feeds put in. Now i have let the £120 install ation fiasko go but i feel there starting to take the p*ss with there pound increase i never agreed to it they'v changed without my consent. I'v sent them an e-mailed stating this and they emailed me back and they said because of sky increasing emand they need the extra money for new features extra yardy yardy yarda. I'v emailed them back again i never agreed to it and if they don't change it back or give me there managers telephone or email adreess then i will cancel. Just writting this to confirm i am right ? they carnt change me contract without my consent can they ?
  • Pokerlad
    Pokerlad Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    KBK247 wrote: »
    Yes i.v just recieved a letter from sky informing me my tv package is going up a pound to £17.50 from £16.50. I only been with sky for less than 3 months and there changing my contract and all so i have a letter from sky stateing my phone line rental will be £10 a month but it hasnt it has been £11 a month. Plus i had trouble with the installation having to fork out an £120 extra because ''there so called speacialized flat team'' said our flat was to high ???? and that it would cost that £120 extra to put the second feed in but if we never had a dish at all then it wouldn't of cost anything extra to have a dish put up and 2 feeds put in. Now i have let the £120 install ation fiasko go but i feel there starting to take the p*ss with there pound increase i never agreed to it they'v changed without my consent. I'v sent them an e-mailed stating this and they emailed me back and they said because of sky increasing emand they need the extra money for new features extra yardy yardy yarda. I'v emailed them back again i never agreed to it and if they don't change it back or give me there managers telephone or email adreess then i will cancel. Just writting this to confirm i am right ? they carnt change me contract without my consent can they ?

Why do you think they need your consent to it? Its in the contract you signed and they can do it, they do not need your agreement. Sorry to be blunt but if you were unhappy with their ability to do that you shouldnt of signed the contract.
  • Which company accepts your monthly charges for 10 years when you live in Spain and then when you cancel the service continues to charge you

BskyB

Which company apparently does not check that credit card matches the address for the customer they have set up with a telephone call from a dodgy operator using multiple versions of the same adress

BSkyB

Which company charges you for 15 months after you have cancelled their service and then refuses to refund you the overcharge on the grounds that the service is illegal

BSkyB

Which company makes it almost impossible to find a way to communicate with them since they insist that you provide your UK post code and will not even let you talk to them if you do not have one - like the tens of thousands of customers on the Spanish costas

BSkyB

Which company has a CEO - Jeremy Darroch - who seems incapable of responding to any query himself but hides behind his executive "customer support" team

BSkyB

Is there anybody else out there who is, like me, is a huge fan of the BSkyB sod the customer attitude?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    But strictly speaking you are not allowed to have a Sky paid for service in Spain.

So I would not shout too loudly.;)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 October 2010 at 3:34AM
    Options
    Never had a problem with getting resolution through sky complaints, got my first Sky+ box FOC some years ago after a complaint about service, got that upgraded to an HD box free when HD started after complaining and the following year got 12 months free HD subs after complaining.

Got the new smaller 500GB HD box earlier this year FOC After a complaint and arranged via a complaint to get a free 500Gb HD box to replace my mother's ailing Sky+ box last month, and I'll shortly be getting another free 500GB HD box to replace my Sky+ multiroom box.

Had new dishes, wiring and LNB's fitted on every service visit as well.

OP, perhaps it's the way you are voicing your complaint, but they have always been extremely cooperative in dealing with my complaints over the years. I cannot fault them.
    ====
  • samba
    samba Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Never had a problem with getting resolution through sky complaints, got my first Sky+ box FOC some years ago after a complaint about service, got that upgraded to an HD box free when HD started after complaining and the following year got 12 months free HD subs after complaining.

Got the new smaller 500GB HD box earlier this year FOC After a complaint and arranged via a complaint to get a free 500Gb HD box to replace my mother's ailing Sky+ box last month, and I'll shortly be getting another free 500GB HD box to replace my Sky+ multiroom box.

Had new dishes, wiring and LNB's fitted on every service visit as well.

OP, perhaps it's the way you are voicing your complaint, but they have always been extremely cooperative in dealing with my complaints over the years. I cannot fault them.

Now i understand why the subs keep going up every year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure