Complaints against Sky - anyone actually get anywhere with them?!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    john1002 wrote: »
    I was stating but they didn't honour the deal, I was adamant on that last call I was cancelling but she persuaded me to tell the whole story again and cane up with deal, if she had not then my 31 days would have started.
    This may have persuaded you not to cancel at that time, but your complaint is really about Sky not honouring the deal, so it does not follow that they should allow you to cancel without now giving notice.
    As already pointed out by macman at post #2, you could either take issue with Sky for apparently not giving you the alleged deal (which you did) or you could have given your month-long notice and shook Sky off your shoes for good.
    It does seem like you really had little intention of cancelling in the first place...
  • powelly666
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am currently with Virgin for my Tv, Phone and Broadband and have the essential package for £57 pound a month where I have recently come out of the 12 month contract but still receiving the services.
    I would be really grateful if anyone could provide assistance In what best deals are out there at present.
    As a family we use the Tv package and broadband regularly but do not use the landlines as much due to us having mobile contracts.
    If anyone could assist in what the best deals are I'd be really grateful.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    powelly666 wrote: »
    I would be really grateful if anyone could provide assistance In what best deals are out there at present.
    Best to start your own thread rather than hijack someone else's, but you'll find all the information you want here;
    http://my.virginmedia.com/home/index?buspart=email_ebill_my_virgin_media__link

Also better not to spam the forum with duplicate posts asking the same question.
  • pgq1
    pgq1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I signed up to the full TV, Phone (talk service) and broadband package way back in August 2013. After initial installation we found the phone and broadband didn't work and we were only able to make 1 phone call after which the line went dead. The broadband worked periodically but we had no service in general. I called SKY in September 2013 and was sent a new phone/broadband splitter which when installed made no difference. I called again a number of times but got really p*ssed off with their average waiting times of 20 minutes. The lack of phone and broadband became a big issue for me and in October I called to cancel as the phone and broadband were still unavailable. The thing that riled me most was that each time I called I asked for and was promised a call back to complete the cancellation process and on each occasion the call back never came. I was since advised that the response was sent to my sky tv interactive messaging service but because I don't have broadband I never saw the messages and even if my broadband had worked there was no alerts to direct me to the sky tv message facility I.e useless, pointless and crap. When I finally called the SKY team in March 2014 to finally cancel the full package I was at the end of my tether and just wanted to end the horrible experience as I have had an appalling service from their customer service and technical teams from beginning to end. On this final call their retention agent spent 28 minutes trying to retain me and I finally managed to get them to cancel my account. If that wasn't bad enough, their social media team (sky community' contacted me (this is April 2014) and I spent a further week with them and eventually got exactly the same defensive lines that I got from their phone agents and a derisory offer of £8 credit. Sky most definitely only care about new business and their existing customers are secondary. Their customer and technical service is annoying, exasperating, arrogant, slap dash, inept and rubbish and I ask everyone to give them a really wide birth. Now suing them out of pure principal:mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pgq1 wrote: »
    Now suing them out of pure principal:mad:
    Good luck with that one:eek:
  • A formerly happy O2 broadband customer of 4 years (actually started out with BE). Had super reliable, super quick ADSL2 broadband clocking in at 14mbps.

Then I got sold to Sky. Since then, my internet's been up and down, it's about 60% the speed it used to be. Sky sent me my first bill the other day...joy of joys, £31.54 for 1 month, up from £18...£5 surcharge for not having Sky TV, £2.50 surcharge for not having SkyTalk, etc. etc. Are you f**king kidding me!?

Right, we'll stop that right away. Fired off an email requesting cancellation and a MAC code in the vain hope of avoiding the call centre...no such luck.

Just spent half an hour trying to get a MAC code out of the vilest call centre monkey I've ever encountered in my life.

The guy stopped just short of calling me an idiot, tried to tell me my broadband couldn't be as slow as I claimed since I'd downloaded this many GB this month etc...unfortunately I'm a software engineer, so I started doing the maths for him...bad luck.

I then mentioned I was moving to another provider, cue the completely inaccurate spiel about traffic shaping and fair usage policies (which aren't in-force in my new package). When I pointed out that Sky's broadband as delivered to me wasn't quick enough to stream Sky Go without buffering every 5sec, talk of bandwidth throttling suddenly stopped.

I then repeatedly started asking for a MAC code over and over, to which the response was "you're not going anywhere yet, I'm not giving you the code"...I'm sorry, Sky doesn't have a god given right to my money!!! Give me the f**king MAC code!!!

Half an hour later (and what I'm sure will cost a fortune ringing an 033 number, free on Sky lines, probably premium rate on BT), I finally got what was after.

Goodbye forever Sky, good riddance!

I'll now pursue any opportunity to actively dissuade people from signing up to anything Sky by telling them it's virtually impossible to cancel an account.
  • catnamedog
    catnamedog Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all
    I've now ended my contract with Sky. I have never encountered such a concerted effort to conceal, mislead and lie by a business which is supposedly a "world leader".
    At first, when I tried to cancel the contract following the end of my years contract, I was told everything would be fine. Then, when I checked with the Sky call centre that all was going ahead, the agent told me they had no records of the cancellation.
    It went further down the nick from that point.
    It ended with my having to pay a full months rental - even though I had paid a month in advance when I joined up. We all pay a month in advance, by the way. Has anyone received a refund? I certainly haven't. I have had various snotty agents "explaining" why my month-in-advance now no longer exists. So, I will never EVER have anything to do with Sky. I don't recommend them, or their customer service to anyone. They are expensive too. They allow themselves all sorts of freedoms in the contract, while tying you in to a watertight contract which you will struggle to get out of without paying through the nose. Lies and theft. Not a huge recommendation for Sky!!:mad::mad::mad:
  • newbe123
    newbe123 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to cancel sky in early June, I am moving and wanted to cancel and then start up one I had moved in and settled, as I live with family they wanted to take over the sky TV Phone Bband…..
    They would not transfer the name of the account
    they spoke to a my relative and agreed to set up a new account with them and transfer the phone etc across, the next day they called me and confirmed everything was cancelled.
    I then get a bill mid June to say that at the beginning of July they are collecting for everything up to and including 1st Aug.
    I called to query only to be told that I hadn't cancelled my TV, and if the called needed listening into I had to email the request, whichi I did.
    They rung me back without reading my email and asked if I would like to run through what I was and was not happy with with my package. We eventually got to but we have no note of that call. At which point I am asking why I have letters and talk and broadband only to be told there is no log of the call cancelling…. this went round and round and round between departments and eventually involved me speaking to someone very polite and helpful (who's name I thankfully wrote down). She apologised for all the inconvenience and agreed I only had call charges to pay by DD in July…but I must not cancel the DD.
    I check my online bill the following day and hey presto she has cancelled it all but a month from that day, so back to complaint we go, I email them, and get a reply basically saying we will do what we like. I respond saying it unacceptable, the reply and tell me my complaint was dealt with.
    I then call again go through the whole sorry story with yet another sky team member…. I found myself saying repeatedly in all of this… I am not paying you in advance for a period of service that we both know will not happen because I have cancelled it and NO giving me a refund a month later is not good enough. I once again went through who I had spoken to and what they had said. This gentleman took all the details but needed a week to look into it and come back to me… but tells me to cancel my DD.
    Following day another missed call from sky… phone back go through everything again listing dates names etc. Get put on hold for ageeees, the nice lady then suggest setting up my DD again … I made it very clear that was not happening, she went off for a bit longer then came back saying all that was left to pay were call charges and would I like to pay by card. & you'll never guess what … she only did what she said.

A friend who heard my end of the final call said I think after the number of her collegues and calls you had listed she got that it just needed sorting… so advice to anyone take the
    name of everyone you speak to,
    ask 'is this call being recorded',
    Note time and dates of call
    and keep checking you online account

Good luck to anyone trying to cancel
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Everyone makes the same mistake: they rely on word of mouth and they don't record their calls.

The simple answer is to deal with companies ONLY in writing and to keep copies and proof of posting.
  • scorpian99
    scorpian99 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SKY PUTTING YOU IN CONTROL.

The is the world best joke.

Due to low income i had to make the decision to cancel my package so saving over 37 pound a mth.
    I sent email 25 may and paid june payment so doing the 31 days notice.
    i have sent them 8 mails via the sky contact us page all confirmed recieved
    each one saying we will contact you soon BUT nothing happens
    then a few days later get email saying we tried to contact you but could not. so all they do is just continue service but they are not even phoning.
    i provided best time to phone a pure con by sky.
    we want to talk to you phone there 15p connect and 9 p minute 2nd con.
    keep you waiting ages to get through then talk to keep you online so can earn money.

there contacts via online chat are limited and have next to no ability to help
    things that should not take more than a minute take over 40 to do.

I am now just going to take no notice of them. i have clearly told them and cancelled my direct debit.
    there is no customer in control here the service is so poor it cant be rated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure