:mad: so heres what happened, in letters: my first letter to them: :mad:

Complaints Manager
Toys ‘R’ Us
FREEPOST NAT 3362
Gateshead
England
NE10 8BR

To Whom It May Concern:

On Monday 13th March, at approximately 6:00pm, I visited your store in Bolton, on the Trinity Retail park. I was carrying some shopping, and as it was raining, I had the hood of my outdoor coat up. As I approached your store, three women sales assistants, all stood behind the Customer Services counter began to look, point at and talk about me amongst themselves. I could see that they were doing this from some way away, as your Bolton store has a glass front. I entered your store with the intention of purchasing a birthday present, as I know that your selection of toys is the largest in Bolton and your pricing is very reasonable.

The sales assistants continued to point at me, and I assumed that it must be to do with my hood, so I lowered it as soon as I was inside the store. I must stress that I was wearing an outdoors coat, not a ‘hoodie’ and only had a hood up because it was raining. I am also 22 years old, and a little old to be a ‘hoodie’, or under groundless suspicion for shoplifting one would think. I was talking on my mobile telephone, but one of your sales assistant thought it reasonable to interrupt me, telling me to place my shopping bag behind the Customer Services desk. I replied that I had never been asked to do this before and as I didn’t know her and wouldn’t have any protection for my purchases, I would prefer not to. She became rather nasty, and the other two sales assistants joined in, insisting that if I did not leave my shopping in their possession, I would not be permitted to enter the store. It was suggested that I may place items in my shopping bag and steal them.

I decided that I would rather not shop anywhere that I was under groundless suspicion, and that I would leave immediately. I asked the way out, and was shown a narrow walk-way besides the Customer Services counter. It was blocked with trolleys and a Sales Assistant made a real show of moving them out of the way for me. By this point I felt very hot and embarrassed and my face must have been bright red, other shoppers were around, in the entrance way and the tills behind where the had to walk to exit and I felt just awful, especially as I had done nothing except want to shop at your store, which I assume you want people to do, do you not?

After I had left, I had to visit Staples across the retail park, and when walking back over the car park, I happened to catch up with the initial sales assistant who had obviously just finished work and was walking home. I had to walk quickly, as I needed to go to University, (Bolton University’s Chadwick campus is just down the road); and I ended up over-taking her. It is necessary at two points along the road exiting the retail park to stop and look to cross two roads, one is a supply road to your store which people use to turn around in and one is the road into the Burger King drive-thru. At the first road, your supply road, I stopped and looked, and your sales assistant walked right into me. She wasn’t talking on a mobile phone, or looking down at the ground, so I couldn’t imagine how she hadn’t seen me stop, but I assumed that it must have just been a mistake. She said nothing, not even apologising. I then stopped to cross the Burger King drive thru road and again she walked right into me. Again she didn’t apologise and she gave me an awfully dirty look. I cant imagine someone being so clumsy as to walk into someone twice, so I can only assume that your employee who had treated me so badly previously, then went on to walk into me twice on purpose, both because I had a shopping bag and I wanted to shop in your store. I sped up, so she couldn’t walk into me as I crossed the road to the main road, and eventually we parted, as I wanted one side of the main road, and her, the other, yet she kept giving me dirty looks, until she had to turn off the main road and she could no longer see me.

I shop in your store regularly, and I have never had any such trouble before. I can only imagine that these three women, (particularly the one who kept walking into me); were having a bad bay and decided to take it out on me. I felt so embarrassed to be accused to being a thief when I have never stole anything in my life and would not dream of doing so, ever. I am deeply hurt by your staffs’ actions and still feel very upset every time I think about it. I don’t think I should ever want to return to a store that treats customers so poorly the second they walk through your doors. I do, however, want yourselves to do something about this. I feel that this situation will not be resolved until I receive an apology and some compensation for making me feel so awful for no reason.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and to respond to it.

after waiting a month, i emailed then telephoned, today i got thsi response:

thank you for your letter of advising me of your comments following your recent visit to our bolton store. Firstly i would like to apologise for teh delay in responding. You letter was not recieved to this office until 18th april.

I have had teh opportunity to discuss your concerns with teh store manager of our bolton store who has undertaken to ensure taht we do apply our approach on bag deposits in a consistent manner.

our approach to bag deposits has been developed for teh safety and security of our customers and products and is a procedure we have operated in all of our stores since we began trading. many of our customers prefer to leave their bags with us while they are shopping rather than rick leaving them in their cars or have the distraction of looking after them while shopping.

i am sorry that you have been upset by our team's approach to you. our store manager has interviewed his customer service staff and has been unable to identify the members of his team that you refer to. he would very much like to takle the appropriate action in regards to your compliant and has asked that during your next visit to teh store you identify teh staff members to him.

clearly we are sorry to learn of your unfortunate experiences, however, until we have fully investigated teh matter, your invitation for toys r us to compesate you is respectfully declined.

we look forward to hearing from you.

so ive just written this reply and we'll see what happens [COLOR]

Jacqui Ingram
Customer Service Manager
Toys ‘R’ Us Limited
Geoffrey House
Vanwall business Park
Vanwall Road
Maidenhead
SL6 4UB

Dear Jacqui Ingram,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your eventual reply. I suggest that the contact information on your website be updated with the correct contact information for customer services, as in the future people may not want to send a letter, send an email, make a telephone call and eventually wait a month for a reply to a complaint that has already had them in tears.

I accept your apology but would like an apology from the staff members concerned, in particular the girl who kept walking into me. You suggest that ‘during your next visit to the store you identify the staff members’; you were assign that I wanted to ever step foot into that store ever again, prior to having this issue fully resolved.

Does the store not have CCTV? I have provided you with a date and time, 6:00pm on Monday 13th March. Perhaps the manager could check the tape that records the Customer Services desk for this date and time and that would help him to identify the three girls who were standing there, and who treated me so appallingly. Also, another clue is the fact that the girl who walked into me finished work not long after the initial incident, I couldn’t have been more than half an hour in ‘Staples’, so the manger could check the schedule or clocking-in machine for the staff member who finished around 6:30pm, couldn’t he?

I am partially satisfied with your response, at least I eventually got one; yet as you say so yourself, you have not yet ‘fully investigated the matter’. Please write to me again when you have done so, letting me know of the outcome as far as the staff members are concerned and what your company is going to do to prevent a loyal customer being lost forever.

am i being daft? i was just so upset and i dont want them to get away with treating peopel like that!
:T The best things in life are FREE! :T

Comments

• freebie_junkie
    freebie_junkie Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    Options
    btw, ive just coreected all teh spelling and grammar!
  • WestieFan
    WestieFan Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    That's a shocking way to behave. Apart from the way you were treated in the store, which is really up to the management to sort out, a member of staff intimidating you outside the store is unacceptable.

I think I would have made a complaint at my local police office, and even asked one of them (maybe the community policeman for that area) to come to the store with me to identify her. I would have treated it as assault. Can you imagine if it had been a late night shopping night and it was dark? Very scary!
  • freebie_junkie
    freebie_junkie Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    Options
    so you dont think teh second letter from me is too coky or angry? i really toned it down from teh origional!
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I think that the second letter is very good - it isnt too cocky as it does 'partially' accept the apology and isnt still all guns blazing!

Hope you get it sorted out - its sounds like it was an awful experience for you
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter works in retail and the whereabouts of every member of staff is logged every day. Those on customers services between x time and x time will be on the rota as being on that desk, likewise with the shop floor and tills. Any changes that need to be made are noted alongside so I find it incomprehensible that the store manager does not know which staff were involved.

I agree with hollydays, that despite your feelings, you should go to the store with a friend and seek out the manager and the staff in question. Otherwise, they will simply close your complaint and put it down to you not wanting to help them take it further.
  • hjb123
    Options
    Another thing you could always check the area where the member of staff kept bumping into you - there may be CCTV from another shop or if a retail park it should have cameras over the whole retail park and the incident may have been caught on these.

I agree with the previous poster, take someone in with you and find the manager, I would go in on a Monday at about 6pm as that is the sort of day/time you went in originally and the staff members that were involved are most likely to work then!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you go into Toys R Us, they ask you to take your hood down and leave your bag with customer service, which they are entitled to do and is common at many stores. You argue with them, then decide that you don't want to shop there and leave. And your issue is?

As for your claim of the assistant bumping into you twice and the suggestions of common assault and reporting it to the police. Words fail me. Apart from being laughed at by the police, the scene could turn into hoodie individual who had an argument with a female shop assistant and left the store in a huff continuing the argument with her outside and her being assaulted. I would want to have several reliable independent witnesses to the 'bumping' before embarking on that path.
  • hjb123
    Options
    Altarf wrote:
    So you go into Toys R Us, they ask you to take your hood down and leave your bag with customer service, which they are entitled to do and is common at many stores. You argue with them, then decide that you don't want to shop there and leave. And your issue is?

As for your claim of the assistant bumping into you twice and the suggestions of common assault and reporting it to the police. Words fail me. Apart from being laughed at by the police, the scene could turn into hoodie individual who had an argument with a female shop assistant and left the store in a huff continuing the argument with her outside and her being assaulted. I would want to have several reliable independent witnesses to the 'bumping' before embarking on that path.

If you read the OPs post they put the hood down as soon as they were in the store - they had it up outside as it was raining like any sensible person would.

The OP was told to leave her shopping already bought behind customer services and she questioned the safety and protection of this.

Independent witnesses is what they are trying to get by trying to access CCTV coverage of that day.
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • mikemoate
    mikemoate Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Do go back to the store. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with that type of behaviour. If it was me I think I would be inclined to take a friend with me for support.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • roversbabe
    roversbabe Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Freebie Junkie - your reply is fine and far from cocky/

FWIW, the Bolton toys r us store is dreadful, the staff and a supervisor were extremely rude to my sister about her son's xmas pressie (something to do with an offer that was on the Xbox but they wouldn't honour it). I was browsing the babies r us section and found the staff utterly useless there too.

Hope you get somewhere with your complaint.

rb x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 027

Debt free: 6th April 06 :T Proud to have dealt with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills