🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

toys r us customer services stinks

Options

Comments

• JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not shopped in TRU for over 6 years now following an incident with a trumped up Manager over some poor service I'd received. I don't shop at Tesco's as there blatant mis-prices is just criminal and haven't shopped at B&Q for over a year now since a previous MSE posting over a reduced garden playcentre.

It's a small protest I know, but if we all stopped giving money to these people, they'd get the message.

However, I'm prompted to now go and visit TRU with a big bag. I'll hand it over and then on getting it back will protest that my IPOD Nano had gone missing and demand an immiediate search of staff. At best I'll get a free Ipod, at worse, I can claim to be forgetful and say "oh thats right, I left it at home today - sorry about that".

The earlier poster is right that we have to abide by shop rules, but I argue that some rules are stupid and need challenging. TRU does seem to have a an obvious discriminatory approach to it's customers. I'd expect every customer to hand over ALL their bags (purses, etc as they are all means to steal items and on this subject, stitch up customers pockets to stop them slipping in stuff in their too). Or do they just select ethnics, people with shaved heads and students?. if so, it's illeagal.

My uncle is black so I'll send him in with the empty bag and missing Ipod perhaps. Or is that just asking for trouble.!
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By tru criteria,if asked to leave your bag,i would say "i am sorry,no, you might steal something from it"-see how they like it.
  • pdoff
    pdoff Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Options
    at the trade warehouse where i work bags are not allowed in. there are huge signs up & it applies to everyone. they can be left at reception (security guards, cctv etc.) or left in the car. or you can not shop. no-one minds as it applies to everyone & it is company policy - you are not told you must leave your bag cos we think you're gonna steal something. if freebie had been approached in a nice way & advised that they had a new policy of not allowing bags in at all & told she could leave them at reception I'm sure she would have just said ok & left the shop without a fuss. it was the way she was treated that is appalling, not the policy.
    good luck with getting an apology freebie.
    Cleaning the house while children are growing is like shovelling snow when it's still snowing!
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I went to this toys r us yeasterday morning with bags and never got asked to leave them :confused:
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    That shows their policy isnt that secure or enforced if they dont apply it to all customers! I think these members of staff that the OP saw and dealt with had it in for her the moment she was seen!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • minx_01
    minx_01 Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    I am a Customer Service Supervisor for a high-street retail store. If I had received a complaint of this nature I would be furious :mad: with my staff, and would investigate this complaint fully. Being rude to customers is classed as serious misconduct and appropriate disciplinary steps would be taken. It would be easy to identify the culprits with all the information that is available.

Good luck with this Freebie! :T
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    Options
    Darksun wrote:
    I have never, ever been in a shop where I have seen it policy to leave bags at customer services. I don't usually carry a bag, being that manbags still haven't come into fashion, but there's no way I would leave valuable possetions with customer service staff I don't know or trust.

i wouldnt leave my bag with any shop assistant full stop. where altarf gets his/her ideas/information from is what id like to know.

cobblers.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anthillmob wrote:
    i wouldnt leave my bag with any shop assistant full stop. where altarf gets his/her ideas/information from is what id like to know.

Your choice of course. As is the shop's choice to refuse you entry.
    Anthillmob wrote:
    cobblers.

Nothing like reasoned argument.
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    Options
    sorry apologies for the cobblers, it was uncalled for. however i believe leaving goods at a front desk is an invasion of your human rights.

im inclined to go to TRU with the buggy and see if theyll ask me to leave baby at the front desk incase i hide anything in the hood or the basket underneath.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry freebie but i went into tru last night as my daughter is expecting a baby in 3 weeks.I entered 3 mins before closing time.The front desk was unmanned.I was in a hurry and looked for the signs re bags,but couldnt see them.I i did notice a sign on the side wall saying something like-we reserve the right to search the bags of all customers leaving the premesis.However i seriously question the legality of this,it is only Police Officers who can search,and even a shoplifter who has been arrested can not be searched by a civilian without that persons permission. If i was asked to empty my bags I would refuse and say they will have to call the Police if they want to do this,and proceed to leave the store.Any attempt to stop me exiting would be a very serious matter.I daresay the store has the right to display whatever signs it wants,but that doesnt mean to say I have to surrender my legal rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport