Lose weight 27

Options
Here comes the sun! It's almost bikini time!

Welcome to the place where we encourage you not to save £'s but to lose Lb's instead :D

So you wanna lose weight? You've come to the right place! :D Need a chat, a shoulder, advice perhaps or even some downright silliness??

Pull up a chair and join in the chat, whatever plan you're following to lose weight, be it SW, WW, RC, or just plain old reducing what you eat and increasing the exercise, there'll be someone here that can help and advise, or offer moral support.

There are plenty of regulars here who follow all types of plan and will be willing and able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

During the course of the week, feel free to post your weekly loss, gain or no change, and see your results in a chart that's updated every Wednesday evening. To help us older folk quickly spot the losses, please post the loss as BOLD and Colourful as possible :) (Its helps those of us with bad eyes ;) )

Also you can take part in the 5lb monthly challenge - This is a fun mini motivational monthly challenge, in which the goal of losing 2lb per week, is spread out to 5lb per month. Next one has just about started so get your name down quick and post your name and start the new list. You could be Slimmer of the Week, or Slimmer of the Month! :j:j The chart is currently maintained by one of our delightful ladies... me :D

A few abbreviations:
STS ~ Stay The Same (No change in weight)
HHA ~ Half Hour Activity, 30 minutes of whatever activity you choose, as long as it gets you moving it's good for you!
HHSS ~ Half Hour Sofa Slumping :p
SOTW ~ Slimmer Of The Week
SOTM ~ Slimmer Of The Month

We have plenty of recipes to help you in the recipes thread (link below) and there are links to useful websites below.

There are some friendly peoples 'Before and After' Pics on Lose Weight 19 and 20 :)

So come and join us, we're a friendly bunch! There are even one or two gentlemen hiding amongst us! Well one of us is gentle ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~

I noticed the other thread was way over the 1000th post, so decided to start a brand new shiny one!:A
One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home

Comments

• kennyparkroad
    Options
    hi guys n gals

posted this at the end of the last thread, thought i would post here just so people can respond.

Thanks

i dont know if any of you will remember me, from a very long time ago, i started to eat right and exercise and like every other time before, i stopped visiting and soon stopped exercising.

well im 4 months into a new house, and have decided i really need to do this because i feel so low, so out of shape about myself.

so ive joined the local gym.

been going on and off for a few weeks (while having mouth probs/dentists visits that make it too painful to go)

so tonight i start again!

i want to know if you can help me out.

Me wise, BMI 28, just over 14 stone. Apple shaped beer belly!

36 waist, although can wear some 34's

Food wise, im back to

Breakfast Shredded Wheat in morning.

3 slices of malted brown bread, usually with Tuna & pepper (nothing else) or some sort of wafter thin turkey slices and salads.

Dinners - usually some sort of quorn or lean turkey mince, with veg, or beans, or peas etc.

Gym wise.

monday/wednesday/friday - Cardio days

10 mins warmup on Cross Trainer
    Stretch
    10 mins on Cross Trainer
    Stretch
    20 mins on Bike
    Stretch
    20 mins on Treadmill, walking at 4.5 for 3 mins, running at 7.0 for 2 mins intervals.

Tuesday/Thursday wieght days
    Circuits of 3 sets of 12 reps.

Wondering if i kept this up for a few weeks solid, would i notice improvements?

my major issue is my eating, im a very emotional eater/drinker.

Thanks again and sorry for the long post.

also

first! :P
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Options
    thanks Sary - good one:T.
    Big welcome back kenny - definitely remember you. You'll find a few familiar faces still around from last year. How is life for you at the mo? I guess you been through it if your weight has crept up again? I'm sure we can help get your bmi back down to 24/25: just stick around and join in like before.
    I hope your new home feels like a good safe haven and a place to chill out in.
    I'm no use at advice on the exercise front, but wanted to welcome you back.

Just been out to meet a friend for coffee but resisted buying lunch and back home now with a salad:A
    Glad to hear you so much better granny - can well imaginge the rumour machine if you were seen swaying across the playground!

Scottish lass - I have no problem with mice - but if it was a mahoosive black spider you wouldn't see me for dust. Hope it is sorted soon for you.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • sarymclary
    sarymclary Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope no one minded me taking the responsibility for starting the new thread? I know Raph did it last time, but as she does the chart, and seems so busy, I just thought I'd help out. I must admit it took me about half an hour to figure out how to get the linky in for LW26 - I'm am simply a techno wizard now in my head! ha ha

KennyPR - I think if you regularly check in at the thread here, you will find all the support, and ideas necessary. What is your particular aim, ie. weightloss, fitness, both? I think if you're hoping to make a permanent change, then you need to fix your mind on your life ahead, not just the weeks. Can you realistically commit to continuing with a fitness regime? Have you decided to adopt a healthier lifestyle for always, or just for now? I only ask, because I've made the mistake in the past of focussing on losing 'x' amount of weight, then getting a reasonable result and stopping all the good work. Diet goes downhill, and exercise becomes non-existent. Those maintaining on this board will tell you have to be in it for the long haul for it to really work, but the results are well worth it.

Bails - I am so envious of your planned trip. Lucky you. Take lots and lots of pics. It sounds like the trip of a lifetime. How long will you be away for? My most enjoyable trip I did was to Canada/N.America. We did it as a road trip, travelled thousands of miles, and only got to see a teensy bit of both countries really, but it was amazing, and the landscape was very impressive. If I could afford to, I'd like to visit the Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone, and I could die a happy woman if I could do a boat trip to see the blue whale on it's annual migration up the N/W coast of the US. I was thinking this morning (while doing the ironing) that it's only money that stops us travelling, most of the time. I think the human instinct is to explore. My BF and I have a dream of retiring, getting a camper van and just going off to see all the lovely places you see on the TV - just the coast of the UK would do for us.

Anyway, back OT, food today is so, so. I'm a bit demotivated, but have agreed to go to a dance/exercise class tomorrow night with a friend. It's something like 'funk-a-cise', there's a bit of step, a bit of salsa, and who knows what else, but it sounds like fun. I'll report back about that on Tuesday.

• kennyparkroad
    Options
    thanks Belle, i remember you for sure!

no probs on the advice on exercise

got any food tips! im really bad for not buyin veg, unless its frozen! lol

life is good i guess

still with my partner of 6 years, although superfit has agreed to come to the gym to support me, although we fight when bad foods are near my mouth LOL

just wish i could get the healthy eating down as well as the exercise..........

kinda scared that im not eating enough calories.... when im working out like that during the week.
  • kennyparkroad
    Options
    Sary.

i want to lose wieght, get thinner, tone and keep it up, im not looking for a quick fix but rather a change in healthy eating and exercise that i can keep up with.

i am wanting 5 times a week gym just now to kickstart the process, but going down to 3 times a week 6 months down the line, dont want gym to be the focus of my life if you know what i mean?
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Options
    kenny - certainly not eating enough can stop good weight loss - the body will panic and hang on to what it can. Glad to hear your life is good though:T. As for frozen veg - that's really good: often frozen has more of the original goodness in it that 'fresh' that was picked days ago and has travelled and then sat in your fridge for a week. I buy most of my green veg frozen now and find I eat more of it that way.

I think the exercise has to be enjoyable, and a routine that is sustainable as sary said.

Sary no problem what so ever - you've been a great member of the forum since you joined and contributed loads and I appreciated the help you offer, including starting a fresh thread.

I don't think I'm a traveller really; it is certainly way down my priority list, though I do find a change of scene really refreshing, even if just for a day. My OH is definitely not a travelling man. But I like getting a bit of reflected glory when friends go on an adventure, so will make the most of bails's trip:D. And lois - the original starter I think of these threads, is currently on a fabulous post 55 'gap year' with hubby going all over europe with their carvan an it sounds great.
    Probably I'd do more is OH was keen.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • kennyparkroad
    Options
    well based on the calculations in the help section i should be eating around 2400 calories a day.

if i cut that by 500 i should be eating around 1900

but in all honesty i dont think im getting anywhere near that.

but......... i dont feel hungry, so i dont eat.

i have my breakfast, my lunch, drink water all throughout afternoon and then gym, home dinner. water, water, water, bed.

im just not hungry enough to eat at other times.
    and if i am mid afternoon or whatever, i munch on an apple.
  • grannynise
    grannynise Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Options
    OOOOOH! Shiny new thread, still in single figures. I've never been so near the start. :j:j:j
  • sarymclary
    sarymclary Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well based on the calculations in the help section i should be eating around 2400 calories a day.

if i cut that by 500 i should be eating around 1900

but in all honesty i dont think im getting anywhere near that.

but......... i dont feel hungry, so i dont eat.

i have my breakfast, my lunch, drink water all throughout afternoon and then gym, home dinner. water, water, water, bed.

im just not hungry enough to eat at other times.
    and if i am mid afternoon or whatever, i munch on an apple.

You could probably benefit from logging your food intake, versus your exercise. I can thoroughly recommend foodfocus.com to do that with, it's free, and it's a UK site, so the products are from our s/mkts.

If you're struggling to eat the amount of food needed, have you considered some high energy, healthy snacks, like nuts? They contain all the good fats your body needs, plus vitamins, and are high calorie, but low GI. Failing that, and although it's not very moneysaving, it is healthy, had you considered using a high protein supplement like a shake/bar? My BF is a regular gym user, and he takes the shakes as a way of upping his calorie intake, but in a healthy, muscle feeding way. He has one with his breakfast, one as a mid-morning snack with a piece of fruit, one mid-afternoon, one post workout, and one as a supper. He orders them off an ebay seller, and gets them at a fraction of the bigger supplier's prices.

Quorn,whilst very low fat, does have the very low calories that lots of us are looking for, but perhaps you can find an alternative that you like. Do you not eat fish or red meat? Oily fish is another healthy alternative.

If you think it will help, log your daily food intake here each day, and there will be some eagle eyed 'experts' who will be more than able to guide you appropriately, to tailor the menu plan to suit your own needs. Once you have worked out what your basal energy burn rate is, basically the cals you need to just live by, then any energy you are expending with exercise needs to be balanced with a calibrated calorie allowance. Too few calories, plus exercise can initially give you a loss, but can make it harder to lose consistently, as your body will not be properly fuelled.

Our Missy is a good one to advise on that one.

• Missy™
    Missy™ Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Sary for the new thread!

Hiya Kenny welcome back! I remember you from before! :D

My instinct is you could probably eat a fair bit more with the exercise you are doing, but I also know how hard it is to eat beyond your appetite 'just for the sake of it'. This can be tackled gradually though :)

In my experience, if the body is getting 'restricted' calories compared to what it really needs, it will go into energy efficient mode - metabolism reduces, and you start to require fewer calories just to maintain your weight. In extreme cases, there are health risks associated with this.

I've gone from maintaining on approx 1200 calories/day to maintaining the same weight on approx 1950 calories/day - I am eating on average more than 50% more every day than I was last summer... but still maintaining!!! I have no doubt that the latter is better for my all-round health.

Nobody can tell you if a certain approach will work for you, but a good balanced diet and an exercise routine that you can sustain is a great place to start :) After the first month or so, you should have a pretty good idea whether it's working or whether you would like to make some changes. GOOD LUCK!

By the way, you mention a 'beer belly' so although your calorie intake from food looks low, have you taken into account your drinks? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure