Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 23rd May 09, 4:01 PM
    • 3,800Posts
    • 5,372Thanks
    pawpurrs
    To those selling in these difficult times Part Deux. AKA sellers support network!
    • 23rd May 09, 4:01 PM
    To those selling in these difficult times Part Deux. AKA sellers support network! 23rd May 09 at 4:01 PM
    Here you go folks this is continuing on from where we left off.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1140155

The purpose of the thread, is to let us all let of steam, give one another support, and help us through the stress of trying to sell, in these difficlt times. All welcome. Share the highs and lows and damm right infurating!
    Last edited by misskool; 23-05-2009 at 9:06 PM.
    Pawpurrs x
Page 296
    • evoke
    • By evoke 12th Jan 11, 3:10 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    evoke
    ^ EAs aren't amongst the most hated professions for no reason.

They are scum but scum we have to live with, unfortunately. Check the wording of the contract to see if it mentions the 250 termination fee. If it does then i'd withdraw 250 from my local bank in 1p coins and dump them in a carrier bag at the new EAs office and tell them where to stick the coins.
  • azkaban420
    Well, interesting weekend for me. I had a final viewing with the previous EA Sunday afternoon and the new EA came around in the morning to take pictures and get the contracts signed for them to start market it.

I informed the new EA that the old EA had a viewing later that day which might result in a sale as this was a 2nd viewing for the lady in question. New EA didnt say this would cause any problems. So I sign the contracts and off he goes. The old EA phones me up the next morning telling me the lady wants to buy and has made an offer.

I speak to new EA to confirm this wont cause any problems with the contract ive just signed, he says no problems as theres a cooling off period. I accept the ladys offer.

Now new EA is demanding a "termination fee" of 250quid for terminating within the cooling off period. We are only talking 2 days into the cooling off period here and he never mentioned this previously.

Now, obviously ive signed the contract, so i`ll have to adbide by what that says, but as I pointed out to the new EA, id have never have signed had I known about this hidden fee. Id have just waited until after id got the viewers feedback and if they werent interested then finalised the process with the new EA.

As anyone else had experience of this sort of thing? I know EA`s are despeate for money these days, but it seems very underhanded to me.

Had I not made the new EA fully aware of the cirumstances, id possibly understand it.
    Originally posted by Jackinbox99
    Check the small print - if you have a cooling off period allowed in there without any penalty then they can go stick their termination fee. That's just bang out of order especially if they verbally confirmed it wouldn't be a problem. Speak to the Manager of the branch and give them a piece of your mind, and threaten to go to the local papers for their despicable behaviour.

Feeling grrr for you

Az

P.S. Apart from the grr, congrats on the offer
  • Jackinbox99
    I`ll be checking the contract later, but im pretty sure it will confirm what their manager has said. Im just so anoyed that they didnt mention this to me and verbally confirmed there would be no problems. Granted I should have double checked the small print on the contract, but foolishly assumed the EA wouldnt be so underhanded.

At least ive an offer on the house now, so this will be the 2nd offer ive accepted. Lets hope this one goes through this time!
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 13th Jan 11, 9:28 AM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    ...At least ive an offer on the house now, so this will be the 2nd offer ive accepted. Lets hope this one goes through this time!
    Congrats on the new offer (and two fingers up at the guy who tried to mess you around). Just being nosey, is the new offer better or worse than the original one you accepted?

Our EA was on the phone yesterday. We've not had any viewings on the house since the end of October, so not exactly a hive of activity!

He said a couple of interesting things - one was that there are offers coming in on properties that they are selling, but the difficult bit is getting both parties to agree on a price, which probably fits with what people are saying on the buyers thread, that buyers want bigger discounts than sellers are happy to agree to. The other is that our house (which is not a first time buyer's house, more a second or third time buyer) is much more likely to sell to someone relocating to the area, because there are very few people upsizing to bigger houses within the local area - again, which fits with the (very few) viewers we've had.

He's recommending we drop the price to below 300K to get viewers through the door. It's not so much that we are at the wrong price for the type & size of house, more that there simply aren't so many people looking in this price bracket. I can see his logic, but we are looking to downsize, and if we end up selling a 4 bed house for the price of a 3 bed, then for us as a family, where's the logic in that? We'd need to buy another 3 bed house, then factor in the costs in buying & moving - we haven't made a final decision yet, but the scales are tipping towards staying where we are and taking the house off the market.
  • Mazzawa
    We need viewers! AAAHHHH!!!

Driving us a little mad. Property has been on market since mid november. We had one viewing as soon as the property went on the market - total time wasters who were just being nosey we think! Since then we've had no viewings although apparently good viewing numbers on the various property websites. We had that terrible snow that put people off for a good fortnight/3 weeks and then christmas and new year after that. Any advice on how to get people through the door?

Flat is a 1 bedroom/ open plan living/kitch in a old mill conversion so very attractive but is clearly an investment property/first time buy.

Help!
    • evoke
    • By evoke 13th Jan 11, 9:37 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    evoke
    Our EA was on the phone yesterday. We've not had any viewings on the house since the end of October, so not exactly a hive of activity!
    Originally posted by tyllwyd
    I've gone with two EAs now and am onto them every other day, stating that the other is more active! It has spurred them into action and I had a viewing through one EA last weekend and have two viewings through the second EA next Saturday.
    • Jackie47
    • By Jackie47 13th Jan 11, 10:25 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Jackie47
    Hi, I've been reading these posts for the last week and thought I'd add my story and see if I can't get any good advice...

(Condensed)...I bought my ex-Council 3 bedroomed semi nearly 17 years ago (small village in the midlands) which was all we could afford at the time. Since buying, the council have extended it adding a bedroom and wet room as my daughter had an RTA 13 years ago and is now in a wheelchair. So now fully accessible downstairs for a wheelchair user. Earlier this year we decided we wanted to move onto a bungalow with more space which we had the funds for. I put my property on the market in early June with a national EA who valued at 125,000 but put on market for 129,950. We soon realised that the valuation was too high..so dropped it by 10,000 (since which a property across the road from us which is also ex-LA has gone on the market at 10,000 under ours but non-extended). We've only had 3 viewers in that time and 1 was discounted as soon as viewing was over, in and out in about 3 minutes flat. The other 2 viewings have been really impressed with space and decoration etc. We were both really sure that our last viewer would offer. They even stopped for a cup of tea! No feedback yet from EA and that was 2 weeks ago. We're pretty sure that it's the area rather than the house that is the reason for no viewings. The EA is not being very proactive, not had any stats from rightmove, and just noticed they have nothing about accessibility on write up etc etc

Any ideas from anyone as to what to do..we have a provisional move date of 19th November to new place and really don't want to either rent out or leave it empty (especially in view of another cold cold winter). We have about 3 or 4 weeks left with present EA.

Thanks in advance

Jackie
    Originally posted by Jackie47

Just an update, we complete today

The buyers were the ones that I felt weren't interested back in July! In the end, it went for 15% less then the original asking price.

Good luck everyone

Jackie
    • brit1234
    • By brit1234 13th Jan 11, 11:33 AM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 11,968 Thanks
    brit1234
    Altogether we have dropped 30% from the original asking price but bear in mind it was a good 10 - 15% overvalued IMO priced high for the original purchasers benefit I think.
    Originally posted by rosered100
    In the end, it went for 15% less then the original asking price.
    Originally posted by Jackie47
    As a first time buyer looking after Easter is it right then to haggle about 15% off the asking price for both buyer and seller to be happy at the moment?

From above quotes it seems the middle ground.
    Scams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 17th Jan 11, 8:29 AM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    Well, we've made the decision to reduce the asking price by 10K. It leaves us just above the 300K mark so we'll have to see if it makes any difference.
    • tawse57
    • By tawse57 17th Jan 11, 12:01 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    tawse57
    As a first time buyer looking after Easter is it right then to haggle about 15% off the asking price for both buyer and seller to be happy at the moment?

From above quotes it seems the middle ground.
    Originally posted by brit1234

According to the land registry sellers were getting about 90 to 91% of asking price last Oct.

As most economists expect house prices to fall by up to 10% this year you could see a situation by the end of the year where house prices have dropped 10% from today. The 90% 'rule' will still hold true so in theory a house on ther market today could be lucky to get 80% of today's asking price in 12 months time.

If your first offer does not embarass you then it is too high. If I was offering now my first offer would be a good 20% below asking price and I certainly would not pay more than 85% of asking price - but that's just me.
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • Boringjoke
    Now new EA is demanding a "termination fee" of 250quid for terminating within the cooling off period. We are only talking 2 days into the cooling off period here and he never mentioned this previously.

Now, obviously ive signed the contract, so i`ll have to adbide by what that says, but as I pointed out to the new EA, id have never have signed had I known about this hidden fee. Id have just waited until after id got the viewers feedback and if they werent interested then finalised the process with the new EA.

Estate Agents and the like seem to be increasingly trying this on to scr3w people out of their hard earned. Please don't fall for it. Whether the contract states there's a termination fee or not, this is in all likelihood unenforcable as the OFT would probably class this as an 'unfair clause'

Disclaimer: I'm not qualified in any way to give legal advice on this matter.

Check out the office of fair trading's unfair contract terms, found here: (sorry, new user can't post links... google "oft unfair clause" It's the first link - a pdf - that comes up)

Particular interest to you might be section 5.1

"It is unfair to impose disproportionate sanctions for breach of contract. A
    requirement to pay more in compensation for a breach than a reasonable
    pre-estimate of the loss caused to the supplier is one kind of excessive
    penalty. Such a requirement will, in any case, normally be void to the
    extent that it amounts to a penalty under English common law. Other types
    of disproportionate sanction are considered below – Part III, Group 18(c)."

Personally I'd ensure that I had proof that I'd terminated the contract with them during the cooling off period and tell them to go stick their penalty...
    Last edited by Boringjoke; 17-01-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
  • Jackinbox99
    Congrats on the new offer (and two fingers up at the guy who tried to mess you around). Just being nosey, is the new offer better or worse than the original one you accepted?

Its the same amount, but hopefully this one will go through okay.

Viewings in general seem to be very low in volume atm. I only had about 5 or 6 viewings in total since October, and only 1 over the last month!

According to the land registry sellers were getting about 90 to 91% of asking price last Oct.

As most economists expect house prices to fall by up to 10% this year you could see a situation by the end of the year where house prices have dropped 10% from today. The 90% 'rule' will still hold true so in theory a house on ther market today could be lucky to get 80% of today's asking price in 12 months time.

If your first offer does not embarass you then it is too high. If I was offering now my first offer would be a good 20% below asking price and I certainly would not pay more than 85% of asking price - but that's just me.
    Originally posted by tawse57
    I tried that with the offers I made and was laughed away by the sellers. I had to end up settling for about 2% less than asking price on the house I just purchased, and the other 3 houses I offered on wouldnt lower the price by even that.

The house ive just sold (or is in the process of going through) I had to accept an offer of 10% less than an identical house but with a smaller plot of land sold for a couple of months back, and about 7% less than the price I felt mine was worth based upon the current market. It really all depends upon how desperate the seller is and how many buyers are interested in that propety.
  • azkaban420
    Congrats to Jack and anyone else I've missed who's recently had good news on this thread

Az
  • the.ciscokid
    Well, we've made the decision to reduce the asking price by 10K. It leaves us just above the 300K mark so we'll have to see if it makes any difference.
    To be honest, I think if you are going to drop the price, it needs to be reduced to within a new rightmove price bracket.

What I mean is that the chances are a new group people are searching up to 300k as their maximum since it is a clear price bracket using the rightmove search. This leaves your property, at just over 300k, outside of those searches.

It depends how much you mean when you say just above. If you mean less than 3%, or around 10k, I think you might be better to just put in on for 299,950, and be done with it. Just negotiate hard on the place you are looking to buy.
  • prozac_zombie
    Hi I am now in this boat again having lost my buyer today after 4 months of " negotiating "
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 17th Jan 11, 6:35 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    To be honest, I think if you are going to drop the price, it needs to be reduced to within a new rightmove price bracket.

What I mean is that the chances are a new group people are searching up to 300k as their maximum since it is a clear price bracket using the rightmove search. This leaves your property, at just over 300k, outside of those searches.

It depends how much you mean when you say just above. If you mean less than 3%, or around 10k, I think you might be better to just put in on for 299,950, and be done with it. Just negotiate hard on the place you are looking to buy.
    Originally posted by the.ciscokid
    Yes, we spent a long time discussing whether to do that (and to be fair, it's what our EA suggested as well). What's worried us was that if we are under 300K, people will still want to bargain down, and we would be starting from a relatively low point. If people are searching with a budget of between 250 - 300K, there are a lot of other properties to choose from (although smaller and not as nice as this one, obviously!) so there would be a lot of competition anyway. My OH's logic was that if you were seriously searching with a budget of 300K, you'd have a look and see what was in the next price bracket above anyway. We'll have to see if he is right!
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 17th Jan 11, 7:02 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    Hi I am now in this boat again having lost my buyer today after 4 months of " negotiating "
    Originally posted by prozac_zombie
    Really sorry to hear that - hope it turns around for you quickly.
  • the.ciscokid
    Yes, we spent a long time discussing whether to do that (and to be fair, it's what our EA suggested as well). What's worried us was that if we are under 300K, people will still want to bargain down, and we would be starting from a relatively low point. If people are searching with a budget of between 250 - 300K, there are a lot of other properties to choose from (although smaller and not as nice as this one, obviously!) so there would be a lot of competition anyway. My OH's logic was that if you were seriously searching with a budget of 300K, you'd have a look and see what was in the next price bracket above anyway. We'll have to see if he is right!
    But you don't have to accept a lower price!

If your house outshines others in the same price bracket, you will generate demand, and thus a better price.

Personally, I think selling a house is like any other transaction, and you want to generate interest and have as many people looking at it as possible.

I also think that you can never tell what is down the road, so if you want to or have to sell, it's best to try and do so sooner rather than later in this market.

Good luck though, hope you get what you are looking for.
    • deeplyblue
    • By deeplyblue 17th Jan 11, 7:55 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    deeplyblue
    Not a seller - yet. We are one interested party in a probate sale. Legal issues partly arising from a home-made will (should have been OK, one tiny problem cascaded. Hint: don't chose witnesses who might die before you do!) mean probate only came through late November on a house that has been empty since March 2010.

Clearing etc difficult as all interested parties live at least a couple of hours drive away. We (as nearest) had to make an emergency visit in the worst of the cold to deal with frost-related issues.

Result: house not fully cleared (though that could be done fairly quickly as most contentious issues solved) and now very cold as CH off.

So, query to sellers (and perhaps potential buyers) would you put the house on the market asap, or reckon to wait until real spring (which, in this part of the world - northern England - doesn't arrive until March)? Come spring we will probably not be frightened about burst pipes and could turn the water back on. I'm reckoning that having a house which is cold and has no running water would be a turn off. OTOH prices are falling all the time, and many buyers may have done their market surveys by the beginning of March.

Of course, there's the question of price. That's still under negotiation between the heirs - nobody's being greedy, but some have amount as a priority and some speed. We'll have to see.
    • Catatonia
    • By Catatonia 18th Jan 11, 8:25 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Catatonia
    I agree that your house will get more attention at 299k. A lot of people will have a ceiling price of say 250k. 300k, 350k and won't look above that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

407Posts Today

4,919Users online

Martin's Twitter