Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 1st May 09, 5:25 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you write a bad review about a friendly B&B?
    • 1st May 09, 5:25 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you write a bad review about a friendly B&B? 1st May 09 at 5:25 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you write a bad review about a friendly B&B?

You’re a keen hotel review website contributor, often using them to plan holidays (see the Cheap Hotels guide). You stay at a lovely B&B, run by a sweet, friendly couple. They mention the recession has hit business, and how grateful they are for the custom from review sites. All’s going well, until you spot three cockroaches in your room, and are so grossed out you leave the next day. You’d normally write a stingingly negative review straightaway, but feel a bit cruel, knowing it might affect the nice owners’ business.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-05-2009 at 5:26 PM.
Page 1
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 2nd May 09, 12:17 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 48,354 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 2nd May 09, 12:17 PM
    • 2nd May 09, 12:17 PM
    and so it should be bad-

recession or not, hygeine must have been very poor.

they have a duty to keep the pace clean, tidy and SAFE. goven the choice, which hotel would you go to? a clean one, or dirty one?
    Long time away in real life, no web..
    Sometimes seen lurking on competitions forum :-)
    • mrscb
    • By mrscb 2nd May 09, 1:11 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    mrscb
    • 2nd May 09, 1:11 PM
    • 2nd May 09, 1:11 PM
    I would leave an honest review.The whole point of these sites is to help people come to decisions about where to stay.You could also tell the owners what you found so they can do someting about it.
    Am thinking of a new one
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 2nd May 09, 11:50 PM
    • 5,448 Posts
    • 9,024 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 2nd May 09, 11:50 PM
    • 2nd May 09, 11:50 PM
    You can get cockroaches anywhere though, I've had them in really clean hotel rooms before. Never left a negative review for it though.

In fact I had a cockroach in my room at a hotel that was the #1 hotel in that particular city on tripadvisor, and it was a large popular city too. They were particularly nice about it but I didn't really see it as a problem and I'd stay there again given the chance.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 4th May 09, 5:18 PM
    • 10,779 Posts
    • 23,909 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 4th May 09, 5:18 PM
    • 4th May 09, 5:18 PM
    I would review the positive factors about the B&B, ie, the friendliness of the hosts, etc, but I think I would comment to the owners personally (ie, not on a review) about finding cockroaches in my room so they can contact pestcontrol and whatnot.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 5th May 09, 10:40 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 5th May 09, 10:40 PM
    • 5th May 09, 10:40 PM
    Depends how much of a discount they are going to give me to keep quiet about it.

Last edited by scotsbob; 05-05-2009 at 10:51 PM.
  • iank
    • 6th May 09, 12:12 AM
    Hotel Review
    • 6th May 09, 12:12 AM
    Bad reviews can be very harmful for a Hotel or B&B , once the review is posted , it is there forever. Sometimes reviews are written without much thought of the impact that they may cause, sometimes they are just malicious.
    I think it is fairer to bring complaints to the owners so that the problem can be sorted out then and there.
    The internet can be a very powerful weapon if someone choses to use it as such.
    • pennypinchUK
    • By pennypinchUK 6th May 09, 3:16 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    pennypinchUK
    • 6th May 09, 3:16 AM
    • 6th May 09, 3:16 AM
    Cockroaches look for warm, damp conditions. While most people immediately think they only live in squalid conditions it's very possible for them to live in the cleanest of homes. If the B&B appeared clean it's probably as clean as your own home, and no more or no less likely to harbour cockroaches than your own house. So the best thing to do is to have a quiet word with the owners. If they immediately take action to resolve the problem then good on them - and that's something positive you can write up.

Writing a stinging review after the event, with the cover of anonymity, and without having given the owners a chance to correct the problem is churlish and somewhat cowardly.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 6th May 09, 4:09 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 6th May 09, 4:09 AM
    • 6th May 09, 4:09 AM
    Personally? bugs make me scream, I would have screamed when I saw one. Promting any service with good friendly customer service, to come to my rescue. I would expect to be offered a room at a later date, when the roachs had gone.

It would be on the second visit I would report on them to the website- and I would be honest the second time around- fully mentioning any cockroaches and if they had been cleaned and how quickly.
  • RolyRoly
    I would have mentioned the cockroaches to the owners and discussed the situation with them. I would still have left and expect a full refund of the time stayed there. Then I would have wrtitten a balanced account of my stay as a review.

Other people can judge for themselves, I would simply report my experience. That's the whole point of review sites! If they're to be of any value, they need people to write accurate accounts of their customer experiences.
    • penarthian
    • By penarthian 6th May 09, 7:45 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    penarthian
    Give them a chance
    When ever you recieve poor service you should give them the opportunity to put it right. If the food is cold in a resturant you would complain so how is this situation any different? Tell the owners what you have found. If they are as lovely as you think they are they will be very upset and take immediate steps to put it right. Once the problem has been solved the poor review would be unfair.
  • newlifenewsong
    I think leaving the next day with no explanation (if the trip was supposed to be longer) is just odd. I would have gone immediately to the owners to complain about the cockroaches and asked to be moved to a different room. If I'm that keen a contributor that people would read what I write with interest, I may well mention it to them and offer to come back in a few weeks - at that stage, if everything is clear, a review praising them for their customer service and mentioning a 'small problem which was resolved straightaway' would be truthful AND positive.
    I Procrastination.
  • purplegaily
    I don't like cockroaches - never actually seen one up close and personal, but that's beside the point. But, I'd let the owner know that I'd found them - how can they recitify the problem if they don't know about it. If the people are are friendly as are made out, they'd probably be mortified!

I'd then let the B&B know that I am a keen blogger/reviewer, and that I would normally be writing something scathing, but would like to give them the opportunity to recitfy the problem, and could I either have another room, or come back at some time in the near future to be able to present a better review at a slightly later date.

(just off to disinfect myself, the thought of those little things makes my skin crawl)
    Always on the look out for a bargain. Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
    • wimbledonian
    • By wimbledonian 6th May 09, 8:39 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    wimbledonian
    Depends on how they handle the problem
    If they handled the problem well I would mention that, but without mentioning the cockroach. If they appeared not to care, I would mention it - some people might like the company these little pets would give.
    • Katie-Kat-Kins
    • By Katie-Kat-Kins 6th May 09, 9:25 AM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    Katie-Kat-Kins
    I think that leaving without complaining is awful. You should mention it to the owner ASAP and give them a chance to put things right.

I would then write an honest review, not scathing just truthful. If everything else was excellent and they handled your complaint well then say so!
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 6th May 09, 9:27 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    ERGGHH!! I wouldn't leave the next day I would leave the SAME day!!!

If they offered me some sort of compensation then I wouldn't mention them. If not then I would tell all.
    • IanO
    • By IanO 6th May 09, 9:39 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    IanO
    What's the big deal? Who amongst us lives in a house that is insect free?

We found a couple of cockroaches in our bathroom in a hotel in Madeira. We were happy with the room so we didn't mention it immediately as we didn't want to end up in an inferior room. At the end of our stay we mentioned it to the owners saying that it hadn't been a problem for us but they might like to do something about it before future customers arrived as some people are a bit freaky about anything with more legs than they have.

They're really quite beautiful as well once you get to know them. Cool antennae.

So to answer the question, no, I wouldn't mention it.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 6th May 09, 9:45 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Corona
    I would give them the benefit of the doubt - BUT I would not write a review up at all (because I'd want to give them a chance to rectify the problem so it couldn't be an entirely honest one).

Then I would write to them explaining the problem, and that I am a regular contributor to an online review website - as many people are these days - and say that, although I didn't post a review mentioning the cockroaches, if they don't tackle the problem immediately SOMEONE will, and that will be the end of their business. It needs to be done urgently before someone-else stays there who isn't as kind as I am.

(And after all, it may not be just the recession that's hitting their business. It may be that word has already got out about their uninvited house guests ... ?? Yuck.)
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 6th May 09, 9:46 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    Give the owners advance notice of your concerns and time to put it right, then do an honest review indicating they have taken remedial action (assuming they have!).
    • harz99
    • By harz99 6th May 09, 9:54 AM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    harz99
    Everyone so far seems to have missed what I think is a seriously material matter - the second "B" in "B&B" stands for breakfast; if your room had cockroaches imagine the possibilities for the kitchen and the food you and any one else will be eating; ughh!

You have no way of knowing whether or not the "friendly" owners will actually do anything about the pest problem, nor will you be aware of how long the owners may already have known they had a problem. Maybe that is why trade is slow?

For me the only answer would be an honest, factually correct review giving the pros and cons as I see them. It maybe true that a bad review follows the business for ever; however most people make a judgement on a broad spectrum of reviews, so one blip is not neccessarily a problem - the owners can join the review site and post their own comments after all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

10,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin