PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pudding and dessert recipes

Options
Here is a quick 'n' easy dessert for when guests arrive unexpected or to serve if guests don't like Christmas Pudding. It really looks as if you have spent a long time making it but it is sooo quick. I've also made it with home-made merringues and home-made lemon curd but to be honest it's not worth the trouble, shop-bought works just as well.

You will need:

1 Box of Merringue Nests
1 Jar of Lemmon Curd
1 Large Tub of Double Cream
Bits 'n' Bobs to decorate the top

Whip the cream until stiff. Smash Merringue nests into chunks and stir into cream.

In a nice glass dish throw in a good sized spoon of lemon curd followed by a spoonful of the cream mixture.

When you've used all the mixture up, swirl a skewer through the mix to marble the two together.

Decorate the top with angelica and citrus decorations.

If you have more time you could put a crackable caramel top on like when you make creme caramel and add sponge to the bottom of the dish soaked in you fave tipple.

Stick it in the freezer and take out 1/2 hr before serving
Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    is there a non dairy version, cos apart from the cream it sounds yum.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never met anyone who doesn't like whipped cream before :o I don't know what else to suggest - maybe sweetened yogurt or crem fraiche nut they are both dairy too :-/
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    160. there is a vegan (soya based) cream that you can usually buy in supermarkets.

But if it is a dairy problem you have, the lemon curd would be a prob. too as it is made with butter and eggs usually.

If it is only the cream you object to, I suppose you could either use the vegan one or also there is a vanilla custard, also soya based, that you could use.

I do a similar pudding to this, with meringue, can of cherry filling and greek style yoghurt... only I am nothing as refined as MATH and I just chuck the whole lot together, rather than STIRRING and MARBLING ;)

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • MATH
    Options
    OOOOOH - No-ones called me refined before :o Can we be friends? ;)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A bit, well ok quite a lot, posher than one of my kids' 'treats' which was also a childhood fave...

one digestive biscuit each
    one tin of peaches tesco value for both
    put a biscuit in each bowl then divide the peaches AND the syrup between the bowls Do this BEFORE your main course so the biscuit is, as my youngest puts it 'all smudgy and budgy'

eat
    it is yummy
    If we have been good then a squirt of the condensed milk from the mega condensed milk squeezy tube from the pound shop goes on top of this yummy confection which has no name ;D

modified it for spelling - oops!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ssaver, that sounds nice! I used to be a great fan of tinned peaches when the kids were younger - only way of getting some fruit into them!

MATH, you already are my friend! :)

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for the alternate ideas. i am allergic to fresh cream of any sort and any milk thats not fully skimmed.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Ohh just discovered this post, thanks i'm going to try this and see my b/f's face when he thinks i've been all posh and slaving away in the kitchen ! ;D
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Talking about being "posh" try slipping into the conversation that it is a variation of "Eton Mess".

I read about this ages ago and just remembered the name - I think it is smashed up mereingue cream and strawberries.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MATH
    Options
    I can almost hear yself saying "and tonight dear, we have a Eton Mess inspired Merringue et Citron." Quite deserving of my Royal Doulton and much better sounding than Lemon Smash-up which is what we ususally call it.

A name makes all the difference. Some of my carefully created dishes have been coined "Sick in a bowl", "Road Kill in Gravy", "Cat Food Hash" and "Filth of the Veg Rack" my family just don't appreciate me :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure