Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Aug 08, 12:37 PM
    • 1,235Posts
    • 3,567Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt?
    • 5th Aug 08, 12:37 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt? 5th Aug 08 at 12:37 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt?

Kate buys a new £50 party dress for a party at her boyfriend Will’s country house. She wears it, has a good time and spills some champagne down it. A week later, she’s back in the shop and (quelle horreur!) the same frock’s on the sale rail, reduced to just £25. Then it strikes her the receipt’s still in her handbag. Should Kate buy the dress again in the sale and return the new (unworn) one with the full-price receipt, to sneakily get £25 back? (It’s within the store’s 14 day return period).

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you keep a winning lottery ticket?
    Would you pick herbs from a strangers's hedge?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 06-08-2008 at 2:34 PM.
Page 1
    • narabanekeater
    • By narabanekeater 5th Aug 08, 9:16 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    narabanekeater
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:16 PM
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:16 PM
    Id take it back as long as I hadnt worn it
  • heatherbelle
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:34 PM
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:34 PM
    I'd never thought to do it but I'd consider it now!

I usually see the item in the sale and I'm gutted it is cheaper as I love a bargin but tbh I'll have got it ages before the sale anyway so it would be outwith the 14 days and by that time I will have got enough wear out of the item to warrant the higher price
    I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
    2010 was the worst year ever
    But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun!

• barnaby-bear
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:52 PM
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:52 PM
    I'd never thought to do it but I'd consider it now!

I usually see the item in the sale and I'm gutted it is cheaper as I love a bargin but tbh I'll have got it ages before the sale anyway so it would be outwith the 14 days and by that time I will have got enough wear out of the item to warrant the higher price
    Originally posted by heatherbelle
    A lot of stores put a permanent marker dot (red for next) or snip in the neck label / washing instruction label to indicate sale stock - a lot of shops have thought of this... not enough of the forum staff have had cr&p retail jobs...
  • littlemissmoney
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:59 PM
    • 5th Aug 08, 9:59 PM
    I do this all the time

barnaby-bear: Next online sale items don't have red dots
    Proud to be a MoneySaver!
  • Dylstardelux
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:20 PM
    Dress in Sale
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:20 PM
    Absolutely she should return the full-price dress after having bought it in the sale!!

The store would have already earmarked this stock item as a sale item some time before she purchased the dress at full price - stores need to get rid of 'old' stock so they have display space for 'new' stock - it's the name of the 'fashion' game!

Even at sale price the retailer will still be making a margin, however small.

I wouldn't hesitate!
  • ade 4a bargin
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:32 PM
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:32 PM
    Too Right. Last Christmas I was given a suit and the receipt... just in case it was not right. In the sale after the same suit was 1/2 price, yes I rushed in and purchased the new one. Then a few days later returned the present and took the 'Gift Card' with thanks! If I remember rightly I used it for some trousers and couple of shirts and ties.
    Happy Days.
  • jilldes
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:37 PM
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:37 PM
    Definitely!!

I did this with a leather suite from Argos and saved over 200. This was about 3 years ago.
    • beverley1296
    • By beverley1296 5th Aug 08, 10:45 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    beverley1296
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:45 PM
    • 5th Aug 08, 10:45 PM
    defo, i like a bargain....
  • catandlitlturtle83
    Absolutely!!
    Of course! I've done it many times...but all all clothes returned have been unworn... I see doing this as being more savvy than sneaky!
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 5th Aug 08, 10:54 PM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Have to say, I'm a little surprised I'm the only one who wouldn't do it...These things happen, that's life...sometimes you lose on these things, sometimes you gain...I don't think it's as straightforward "stealing" as a lot of these things are branded, especially if the dress hasn't been worn (that's not really clear in the OP) - but still don't think it sits well with me...
  • sassy5515
    Yes, I would return the one bought for 25 back, along with receipt for the one she paid 50 for! If they can afford to reduce it by half, then it just goes to show what the original mark up was! go for it!
  • Sharp_Eyes
    It hadn't even occured to me to do this but I'll really think about it now though!
    Last edited by Sharp_Eyes; 08-08-2008 at 5:31 AM.
    *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)"
  • jinty47
    I have a policy with debenhams which avoids this happening for 19.99 a year I can claim back any money I have overpaid on sale goods and I have 100 days to claim
  • stogiebear
    Of course she should, but as a shop owner I would offer her a 25 pound gift certificate on the spot rather than a cash rebate which I would make sure took several weeks to come through... manager on holiday... accountant up the duff back in Novemeber!
    • IanWorthington
    • By IanWorthington 6th Aug 08, 12:31 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    IanWorthington
    This is standard business practice in many US stores. Some friends of mine even returned to repurchase their wedding ring when it went on sale shortly after they'd bought it.

i
    • deard69
    • By deard69 6th Aug 08, 1:38 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    deard69
    Of Course, I do this all the time, Matalan sales, Boots Toys at Christmas, Tesco Direct stuff, Amazon refund you the difference if prices have been reduced within 30 days (As long as you ask for it) so why should other stores that make millions of pounds profit get away with it! I got my childs Christmas prezzies from Boots last year & before Christmas day had even arrived, they had a 50% sale on the same items, I purchased them again and got refunds on the full price & then 2 weeks later a 75% sale which I did the same thing again & got refunds on the 50% stuff, now that is money saving! I need to look after the pennys, I am unemployed.
  • zena2105
    Definitely!

I could make batter use of that £25 quid than they could
    Reclaimed thanks to this site: 2596.71
    • erik99
    • By erik99 6th Aug 08, 5:29 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    erik99
    If the item in question is a gift you have received but don't want, and you don't like to ask the giver for the receipt, you can often change it or get a credit note by returning it. The trouble here is that if the item has gone into the sale by the time you return it, you will only get the sale price back.:confused:
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 6th Aug 08, 6:15 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Dress Refund
    She should return the first dress she bought with its own receipt and see what the shop is prepared to offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin