MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt?

Comments

• andy_hunk
    andy_hunk Posts: 80 Forumite
    maria74 wrote: »
    also to ask OH opinion as he hates shopping centres:)

Tell me about it :rotfl: especially Dorothy Perkins and Next the W2b will happily spend half a day in each!
    Last Win: Tuff Mudder Tickets and 2 cases of wine :j
  • A lot of p[eople seem to have mis understood the question - people are saying "I'd only return it if I hadn't worn it" or "I'd have cut the tags off so I't would probbaly be too late" - irrelevent.

The scenario in the question is this:

Kate still has the £50 recept in her bag (the dress is at home).
    She sees the dress for £25
    She buys the dress again (for £25) and then takes the new (£25) dress back, with the old (£50) recept - to get back £25 more than she paid.

At the end of the day - you really shouldn't do this - but I would! the financiall result to the store is the same as if you had returned the £50 one, and re-purchased it in the sale.
  • I would take it back and have done before. I have often bought things in Argos only to find the following week they are reduced. If its electrical I just take it back and say its faulty and they just refund your money, anything else say it was an unwanted gift.
  • grade15
    grade15 Posts: 543 Forumite
    what would MSN JENNY do?
    smile everyday...cos its free :)
    Live everyday to the Full..cos there is no tomorrow:dance:
  • redimp98
    redimp98 Posts: 25 Forumite
    My Q is why the shop is ripping off the customer, when it still makes a profit on a £25 sale?
    Calculate on the one-third rule for purchases eg an item offered at £60 will cost the shop no more than £20. On that basis, it could sell everything at half-price.
    Compare Sainsbury prices to Home Bargains to get an idea that big S is making about £1.50 out of you on average, per item
  • Pickle_123
    Pickle_123 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Yes yes yes she should take it back, at the end of the day its exactly the same dress its just gone into the sale so it doesn't matter which dress she takes back with the recipt. When I used to work in New Look we had people bringing items in to exchange for the same item in the sale. Also loads of credit cards/store cards have some kind of "if its in the sale within 60 days we'll refund the difference" policy attached to it in some way (problem is alot of them charge you for it) they just keep quiet about it because its up to you to claim the drop.

Also a tip if your in a shop and you see numbers written in pencil on the back of a label, 9 times out of 10 it means a sale is iminent again at new look we'd go round and right the sale price backwards in pencil on the reverse of the tag so it was quicker to mark everything down at the start of the sale. so £10 becomes 0001. I know Next do this as well cos I saved a packet on a pair of jeans by spotting the pencil price and waiting a few days.

But yes she should definitely take it back!
  • I do this all the time but marks and spencers wont let you do this though
  • Zork
    Zork Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is Obtaining Property by Deception and or theft. I wonder how many people awaiting interview in their police cell would still think it was a good idea for £25.

Still, I suppose you have to get caught first and someone else can always pay for the shops loss.

If it feels dishonest then it probably is.
  • Yes Yes Yes
    In fact I've done this myself with a blouse. Exactly the same scenario, had the receipt in my bag, re-bought the same blouse reduced (had to make sure that there was no red dot on the label, some shops are sneaky), then marched back to customer services armed with never-worn-blouse and full-price-receipt. AND ..... I'd got both lots of loyalty points har har har.:T
    I was really pleased with it.:p
    Striving down south to stay northern and tight! :rotfl:
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    I have no problem with this and do it whenever I can.

The two transactions are spearate and perfectly okay, you get a refund as long as the item is unworn, you have the reciept and its within the time specified, then you purchase the item at the sale price (or the other way around) no problems.

The only problem might come if you take the sale item to the desk with the original item and the reciept and ask for the differance, you might be lucky to get a credit note, but separatly the transactions are fine, savvy not sneaky!

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport