PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• babyhead
    babyhead Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: Can i join please? A newbie to the challenge! :D

My new month starts today with a budget of 200. First shop today and I have spent 77.07 which leaves 122.93 :eek: until 29/8. I did get lots of store cupboardy type things today so hopefully that will last longer than a week.

Sig updated...lets see how it goes then! Hopefully I will be able to reduce the budget next month but we'll see. Oh there is me, DS and DH.

Wish me luck plz xx
    DFW Nerd #1152
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 1 August 2009 at 4:42PM
    Options
    My month doesn't start until Monday, but I've started some shopping so that I could use up the last of my Tesco vouchers from last weekend's papers. Spent £38.63, but saved a further £18.67 in vouchers and offers.

Will do a stock-take over the weekend to see what else I need to get this week - have a feeling it's only Tomato Sauce, as I forgot it this morning (for the second time in two days :rolleyes:).
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • kirstenc
    kirstenc Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    WOW people, I have just had a look through a bunch of the recipes (and stolen about 80% of them lol) and I have realised that I can convert alot of them to free from for DS...his birthday in in august and I might be able to make him a cake for the first time ever!!

I am so excited, and thanks people for all of the input that has clearly been put in over the months/years. I look forward to contributing!
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Blast :angry: So much for getting off to a good start :cool: Serves me right for trying to cheat by doing the shopping yesterday :whistle: Needless to say I didn't get there so I've already got through £28:65 & whatever the value of coupons came to.
    I have stocked up on the offers that end in the next couple of days, including some nibblies in readiness for 'you-know-when' so I'm not too concerned just yet
    :o
    Also got some of that One Milk in MrT at £1 for 2 litres. We normally have the ordinary semi-skimmed but this one apparently has less fat--another reason to give it a whirl--I'll report back once we've opened it.
    Anyone else tried it?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2009 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Lollyfin - Did you manage to make the mince stretch that far and did it taste nice - really interested in your answer as we tried to do the same on a smaller scale and it felt like we had no meat at all!!

Have spent £91 at MrA but that will last for quite a while and the freezers and cupboards are looking very full so hopefully we will stick to the budget this month

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2009 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Mrs M - Please put TheBees down for £360 this month.

Not spent a lot so far - lots of stuff still in the freezer and cupboards that should last until mid week.

Good luck all.

Just whizzed through the last few pages. I think Flat Eric was asking about whether or not to buy a slow cooker. I use mine about twice a week and it's brilliant if you know youre going to be late home and won't be in the mood for cooking. Just throw the ingredients in first thing in the morning and hey presto a meal awaits you when you get home! Just buy the largest one you can afford so you can make large batches and freeze spare meals. Basically, anything you cook by simmering in a pan, you can cook for several hours in the SC. - Spag bol, savoury mince, chilli, curry, soup, whole chicken(meat falls off bones)...etc...
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, I havent joined in with the grocery challenge for about 18 months but would love to join back in please as we have so much stuff in our cupboards/freezer and I just keep buying more - I have got tins on the worktop at the min as I cant fit it in the cupboard!

We are a family of 4 and I will guess at 450.00 for this month please hoping that I have wildly overestimated! That is for all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff etc and nappies for my son. I am currently at Slimming World as well so have to adapt meals to make them SW friendly! x x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, had a mammoth baking session yesterday making twinkies (very moreish), chocolate concrete, lemon cakes and fruit flapjacks. so that's us sorted for a few days at least for snacks. Today made chicken and leek pie and made some cheese pasties with leftover pastry so there's tea sorted.

Been cleaning and decluttering all day so i'm sick of seeing the kitchen now, still have to finish it off though :mad:.
    Anyway had the first grocery spend today, spent a whopping £15.63 on milk,veg, fruit, jam, washing up liquid, hot chocolate and salami. Just di all my shopping at aldis got the 2 lots of bananas, nectarines, games tomatoes, lettuce and some potatoes, So should last us till the end of next week.
    Fingers crossed this will last us for a couple of picnics and lunches but i'm not holding my breath. spent more than i wanted but at least it was all healthy apart from the jam :rolleyes:.
    Right going to make tea and coffee and start on making some more cushions out of the old duvet covers.
  • lambanana
    lambanana Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Went to the shops for some bits today, didn't need much as cupboards are pretty full but picked up bread, milk, cheese and other little bits and spent £10 which was £7.91 in tesco, £1.09 in the butchers and £1 in Jack Fultons. Was pleased to get a £3 off when spending £20 voucher on my tesco receipt! It has to be spent this week but I'll go get some stockcupboard type tins and dried value range stuff with it, I was very pleased as I didn't know they were doing voucers :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Oh dear - just fell off the budget wagon by buying 2 crates of strongbow :o well it was £6 for 15 cans - how cheap! and with footie season almost upon us think of all the money I'll save not going to the pub :rotfl:

Also got my dairy stuff in a Mr T's - so another £3 on but saved £6 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport