PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MumOf2Beasties
    Options
    hi everyone,

am feeling quite excited about april's gc, just feeling really positive that i'm being better with the money i spend:j
    did a weekly shop in m'sons yesterday and spent £54.98, added £9.98 to this which is for the half price nappies i got in march that will be used this month!!and £4.99 on a box of 6x johns*ns babywipes in savers.

i don't claim to be a great cook but try to make sure we get enough veg and that it's meals the kids will enjoy, should get 9 days of meals out of this spend:

*beef and veg lasagne (with grated carrot to hide it from kids and brocoli)
    *chips and fish fingers
    *boiled bacon,veg(brocoli,cauli,cabbage,carrot,swede,peas,roasties)and onion sauce,
    *leftover bacon with veg(new pots,brocoli,carrot)and cheese sauce,
    *hotdog pasta,
    *tuna and new potato layer bake served with brocoli(might add sweetcorn)
    *pizza and chips,
    *homemade veg soup (carrots,cabbage,cauli,sweetcorn,will add brocoli and pots if there are any left) blended untill fairly smooth served with brown bread,
    *leftover veg soup used as a sauce with pasta and topped with cheese.

we all eat fruit every day and obv eat a few naughties lol

after i made the lasagne i had a few sheets of whoopsied fresh pasta to use up so my dd who's two tore it all up into little squares and i boiled it with some peas, let it cool then added sweetcorn and mayo for a quick 'pasta salad', not your regular pasta shapes but was yummy and meant i used up pasta that before joining the gc i would have binned:o

also bought the 3 for £10 meat so have 2 portions of beef mince and 2 portions of diced chicken in the freezer:Dand before the gc i would just have bought smaller packs of mince as i needed them, costing me more over a month!!

anyway sorry for the long post:oand good luck to everyone in reducing your spends:D
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of £250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent €8.96 yesterday, bringing my total spend to €36.71, hadn't got a list with me though so only got 4 things I knew I needed, am out of salami and other things, will go either to-morrow or Tuesday.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Candy_Belle
    Candy_Belle Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! Just had to catch up on thread not been on since last night and am 4 pages behind!!

Popped into sainsbugs lastnight and managed to spend £32.78!!!
    Not liking how my budget is looking or bank balance so early in the month!!!:eek:

Have a good weekend everyone!
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • farmers-marketeer
    Options
    Hi first time for me so £160 for April please done well so far checked my food shop from company shop £27 worth for 10.95 will get 3 meals from the half price belly of pork Wait**** 500 grammes for £1.30 so figured could afford the Best Morris*** apple sauce anyone noticed the store second veggies there I got broccoli and red potatoes for 14 p each 750g and 250g so apart from milk and fresh veg I am sorted for week time to bake a loaf.

me 2 cats and a need to cut back on booze no pub this week end thats everything
    It's only rock and roll but I like it.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    I spent £3.50 on sweets and fizzy drink. Must do better. Total spend this month £29.55. I've spent £4.55 on junk. I could get the ingredients for a meal out of that.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yippee! OH paid for the bulk of the food shopping yesterday as he would have taken me out for a takeaway but I said let me cook instead, so I have fruit, veg, icecream etc for the grand sum of £3.50 :) That, added to the cheapie spends on my wild night out on Friday of £11.20 which I'm taking out of the grocery challenge, as it was drink and under my austerity measures this month, it has to count!!) means I've spent £14.70 out of my £100 already, and it's only 3rd April.....
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi first time for me so £160 for April please done well so far checked my food shop from company shop £27 worth for 10.95 will get 3 meals from the half price belly of pork Wait**** 500 grammes for £1.30 so figured could afford the Best Morris*** apple sauce anyone noticed the store second veggies there I got broccoli and red potatoes for 14 p each 750g and 250g so apart from milk and fresh veg I am sorted for week time to bake a loaf.

me 2 cats and a need to cut back on booze no pub this week end thats everything

we have a company shop near us, its fab i go about once every couple of months and stock up on meat , toiletries,yoghurts, sweets :o and any other offers they have :D

NSD today , we are going out for a meal but that is from another budget
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PennyGrabber, have added your Chocolate Pots to the recipe index :T

sorry I've not been around much but my dgs was born on Friday 1st :happyhear so not been able to concentrate on much else :D

hope you're all having a lie-in and having some nice Mother's Day treats ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a couple of hours to kill last night in town, so did my meagre shop first in Ald*, then Morris*ns, A*da and finally T**co. They are all quite close together so I didn't have to use any petrol to speak of. It was very very quiet at 7pm but few whoopsies, other than half price smoked salmon which I bought and then split into portions and froze. Spent the grand sum of £11 (plus wine, but that comes out separate budget at present). So £11/50 for April, but I won't be going shopping again until at least 10th.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    £50.36 in aldi - inc a few junky bits for dh as I am taking the kids away for a few days for the school hols and stocking up on dishwasher tabs, foil etc.

Then £8 on looroll in asda!

When I got home I had a 15% off code for ocado - I had a trolley full in mysupermarket ready to go but actually decided I didn't need most of it enough to justify the £60 min spend so left it!!! Super proud as not being able to resist a 'bargain' is my weakness - but its not a bargain if I don't need it right??

Found an in date chorizo in the cupboard that had gone mouldy so emailed waitrose and fingers crossed I'll get some vouchers for that too!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport