Do you run Linux - if not why?

Options

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    You must either have had awful machines or awful AV.

I'm using AVG on this particular laptop and CPU usage for it is sitting at 0.1%.

Seems like another "problem" Linux users have had with Windows that doesnt affect the bulk of users.

All the antiviruses I've tried have a significant impact on performance. The free ones in Windows are incredibly bloated with unwanted features and averts for the paid-for edition. Frequent updates and scans are annoying.

Old or low-powered devices (like netbooks) can be rendered unusable once an antivirus is installed. And antivirus web-browser add-ons can actually reduce security.

Last time I used AVG, I had to uninstall it due to the incessant reporting of "false positives" in software I was developing/testing.

And then there are privacy issues:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/anti-virus-software-if-you-use-avgs-free-software-it-will-sell-your-data-10515043.html
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    All the antiviruses I've tried have a significant impact on performance. The free ones in Windows are incredibly bloated with unwanted features and averts for the paid-for edition. Frequent updates and scans are annoying.

Old or low-powered devices (like netbooks) can be rendered unusable once an antivirus is installed. And antivirus web-browser add-ons can actually reduce security.

Last time I used AVG, I had to uninstall it due to the incessant reporting of "false positives" in software I was developing/testing.

And then there are privacy issues:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/anti-virus-software-if-you-use-avgs-free-software-it-will-sell-your-data-10515043.html

The major free one in Windows is Defender and has zero impact on performance, has no bloatware added and no adverts.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Windows has come with a built in AV for many years and its impact on performace is very low and it has no adverts.

Yes there are new definition files silently installed most days, but you'd hope that would be the case.

The free versions of third party software do default into "nag" mode to remind you they are there and try to persuade you to buy the paid versions.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    that wrote: »
    As a person who works for a company who buys products from people like yourself, it causes issues.

We are a windows shop from desktop to server. So someone infrequently in the org buys a product, and if it is on a Linux platform 90% of the time the product supplier wont support the operating system, or blame the os. Would say that 9.9% do, and charge for it.... but eventually something goes wrong and they all do a runner, "we only sold you the application, which we support, not the os", "the product runs on linux, but we do not support linux, just the product" and "No, we do not have a windows version".

Another scenario is that they sell the company, the new company that takes over are very eager to collect maintenance support money, but when something goes wrong, they have no idea, the source code had vanished and they also do not support linux.

Then there is "thanks for the fish, but we can not longer support the bespoke database as we are retiring" (tough luck to the 25 years worth of collected data from our bespoke platform written from source in C).

I know linux is often free, great for developers, but for the end user side is more complex.
    Holy thread resurrection.
    I disagree with quite a lot of your points here. If a company refuses to support their product on an alternative OS because 'reasons', then they are a really !!!!!! company, in my opinion. I've been using Linux for a long time and I do have a far greater understanding of it than the average person, but that doesn't mean I have forfeited my right for software/hardware to work correctly, especially if I have paid for it. I do, however, know that when a hardware product is playing up, I can usually diagnose why and eventually come to a logical conclusion and potentially fix it. The more you use Linux, the more you grow in experience. I have no reason to use Windows and I can't be bothered with OS X/macOS.

Your thing about source code is also ridiculous. The source code has vanished where? Source code doesn't just vanish, it gets either lost or deleted, but a proper business should NEVER experience that. This is why we have offsite storage etc. If your company is losing source code than they need to look at themselves and their practices.
  • nortong
    nortong Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't stand greedy monopolistic rip off outfits peddling second rate concepts, that's why I voted for Brexit. And that's why I have been an exclusive Linux user for the past ten years. Je ne regret rien.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Holy thread resurrection.
    I disagree with quite a lot of your points here. If a company refuses to support their product on an alternative OS because 'reasons', then they are a really !!!!!! company, in my opinion. I've been using Linux for a long time and I do have a far greater understanding of it than the average person, but that doesn't mean I have forfeited my right for software/hardware to work correctly, especially if I have paid for it. I do, however, know that when a hardware product is playing up, I can usually diagnose why and eventually come to a logical conclusion and potentially fix it. The more you use Linux, the more you grow in experience. I have no reason to use Windows and I can't be bothered with OS X/macOS.

Your thing about source code is also ridiculous. The source code has vanished where? Source code doesn't just vanish, it gets either lost or deleted, but a proper business should NEVER experience that. This is why we have offsite storage etc. If your company is losing source code than they need to look at themselves and their practices.
    As someone at the end of the chain from what I am told from suppliers and owners, I'm calling it as I see it. The niche software is bought by some one in our org for their department. It is not our departments software or contract, we have no say, but often we are brought in either for racking a physical machine, or delivering a virtual one, but always when shtf we have the hot potato thrust upon us.

We have had a few companies that have been bought out, or sold, or the developer retired, or 'a new team in place and non of the members have ever worked on that project'. In many cases they can not find the source code, so I am told.

When a server runs out of space, rather than consolidate the database, it is easier for the supplier to ask for more space

A new version of linux patches comes out, they (the vast majority) are not willing to check it works with the latest patches either. In my decades there I can count on one hand the supplies that ever updated a linux box.

Yes, when a new product does come in, and we hear it is linux based, the whole team moans. We are all jaded.

Our oldest box is Solaris v2.2 and we have a good few on RH4.x. The windows boxes are in much better standing, and get regular patches.

Personally I'd love all my apps to work under linux, would move to it tomorrow.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why should I run Linux, when I am happy with Windows?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My systems come with Windows installed.

Windows works well and does most things i need it to do.

I have one specific set of needs for running a special version of Linux called Kali.
    For that I have a live USB stick that I use as and when.

Linux is never going to become mainstream unless it starts to be bundled with consumer hardware.
    Why would a 'normal' user uninstall windows to install Linux - It offers them absolutely no benefit
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Why would a 'normal' user uninstall windows to install Linux - It offers them absolutely no benefit
    Robisere wrote: »
    Why should I run Linux, when I am happy with Windows?

Thats wholly it. If you listened to one or two of the hardened Linux fanbois on here in the month or so this thread has been running, as a Win10 user i should have experienced multiple occurrences of
    • Massive windows updates being forced on me at inconvenient times
    • System crashes
    • My computer running slowly
    • Antivirus processes strangling my CPU
    • RAM usage spikes making my machine hang
    • Massive start up times

To be honest i've not experienced one occurence of any of those. Just like in the month before that and the month before that, and...
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2019 at 2:52PM
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Linux is never going to become mainstream unless it starts to be bundled with consumer hardware.
    Obviously it's important to clear up any distinctions here: Linux is a broad brush name for software that uses the Linux kernel. If you want to loosely argue the success of Linux from a mainstream perspective, you only need to look at how many Android devices exist in the world.

What you are actually talking about, is Linux Desktop Distro's and the only one that got even close to mainstream was Ubuntu, but really, it's still light years away from actual mainstream adoption. Heck, I use Linux every day without fail and don't use Ubuntu.

Years ago, various manufacturers including Dell tried to ship their laptops with Ubuntu. At the time, I thought it was really good to see, but what actually happened was most users simply paid extra for Windows and those who didn't simply knew how to install pirate versions. Not many seem to offer it now..... in fact, some manufacturers offer FreeDos or Windows..... instead of Ubuntu or Windows. Sad really.

The only exception I can think of, is something like the old Acer Aspire's that were shipped with Linpus Lite. Which was/is an absolutely horrendous distro and no doubt will have turned potential new users off Linux for good.
    motorguy wrote: »
    Thats wholly it. If you listened to one or two of the hardened Linux fanbois on here in the month or so this thread has been running, as a Win10 user i should have experienced multiple occurrences of
    • Massive windows updates being forced on me at inconvenient times
    • System crashes
    • My computer running slowly
    • Antivirus processes strangling my CPU
    • RAM usage spikes making my machine hang
    • Massive start up times

To be honest i've not experienced one occurence of any of those. Just like in the month before that and the month before that, and...
    As no doubt one of your 'Linux fanbois', I can categorically state that I have not even hinted that you experience those things.

However, of the two Windows versions, I do prefer Windows 7. It's all about opinions though and Windows 10 has been wildly more successful than Windows 8, which is fast becoming the forgotten child. Personally, I find Windows 10 too in your face. It tries to be all things to all men, without really excelling at anything in particular. In my opinion, Windows has never really excelled at anything except straight-up usability. Everything is made incredibly simple for the user (until things go wrong, then it becomes exponentially more difficult in my opinion).

I have many issues with Windows but one of the ways it achieves its usability factor is by essentially obfuscating low level configuration and customisation from the user. It's modus operandi is that "you on the left, should really be working on something near enough identical to you on the right". This is great for 95% of PC owners, hence why people go back for more. If you're using your laptop or PC for browsing, word documents, eBay, facebook etc, you'll be absolutely fine using Windows for the rest of your life. Gaming as well.....

The complications will arise when you become a non-standard user, such as owning a piece of bespoke hardware.... or owning a device that has patchy drivers. Good luck trying to get it to work consistently on Windows. That is where you'll find the reverse of the myth becomes true..... Windows is great with known hardware but can be utterly useless with unknown or unsupported hardware. A great example of this is literally any Virtual Serial Interface, whether it be cable, or whatever..... even the high quality FTDI 3v3 cables. Windows, going back years, has never had good serial support, all the way back when we actually used Serial connectors instead of USB-Serial interfaces. The original serial implementation was absolutely garbage on Windows. Even with good drivers and a decent brand USB cable, it becomes a bit of a lottery when you plug the cable in, as to whether it'll enumerate as expected or even correctly. I was doing some work recently and it required the use of TTY, so in Windows, there's no native support for this, so you download a tool called PuTTY. The whole experience was just garbage and very flakey. You might as well flip a coin to guess whether it'll work as expected or not.

I'm not trying to sound like a Linux fanboi here, but there are legitimate reasons why Linux is preferred by some to Windows and it's not because we hate Bill Gates or Capitalism or Microsoft or any of that crap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure