BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month - MSE News

Options
124»

Comments

• gwydion_ap_don
    Options
    Received letter from BT today re price increase, telephoned them and was told I would have to pay till Mar 2020, £120+; cancelled call and after reading Martin's advice, phoned again, again told not possible till I mentioned Martin Lewis. The operator then proceeded to cancel the outstanding months of contract on the TV. Later received emails to confirm cancellation. Do not like this attitude and will definitely consider switching in March.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Confused did you phone to cancel the contract or just the TV Sport part .
    Cancel TV Sport penalty free YES.
    Cancel whole contract penalty free NO/

ML
    If you're affected by the price hikes, you have the right to remove the BT TV and Sport part of your BT package penalty-free within 30 days of receiving the notice of the price change, but you can't cancel the phone and broadband part of your package if you're still within the minimum term of your contract.
  • Edithgrand
    Edithgrand Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Are people this this part,if you renew your BT Sport at the the same price, you are also signing up for a new 18 months contract on you phone and Broadband ,that will mean no way out until the 18 months are up!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Yes of course new contract .
    But also be aware that new BT Contracts now include an agreed yearly price rise in March . This has no Ofcom get out as you are agreeing to it .
    In many cases it could be worth paying the extra until current contract is due for renewal .
  • xman
    xman Posts: 95 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got the email too - which is weird since I just renewed my broadband and sports for 18 months just 3 months ago!

I haven't called yet but I think I will cancel since my sports bill has gone from £5 in September to £10 in March and now they want £14? I really don't see the additional value there...

This is the phone number in my email if anybody needs it: 08001214453
  • fagun
    fagun Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    After lots of arguing and escalation, got this reply today:

The email we’ve sent you is incorrect. You will see no increase come the 28 July in your services. This is a mistake on BT’s behalf that this email went out to you and I’m so sorry this has happened. I’m not surprised you are unhappy around this. Once you go out of contract after 18 April 2020 you would see a £4 increase but not before that.

If you've involuntarily re-contracted or cancelled, you may want to challenge them!
  • xman
    Options
    fagun wrote: »

The email we’ve sent you is incorrect. You will see no increase come the 28 July in your services. This is a mistake on BT’s behalf that this email went out to you and I’m so sorry this has happened. I’m not surprised you are unhappy around this. Once you go out of contract after 18 April 2020 you would see a £4 increase but not before that.

If you've involuntarily re-contracted or cancelled, you may want to challenge them!

Oh dear... Did you use the phone number in the email? (08001214453) or called direct?
  • xman
    Options
    fagun wrote: »

OK, spoke to them just now (important to call the number in the email which is the "loyalty team") - explained the price increase was not acceptable and we had a chat. No discounts offered unfortunately.

Disconnecting BT Sports in 30 days without penalty .

No change on the broadband part of the deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure