Forum Home» Phones & TV» TV MoneySaving

BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month - MSE News - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
38 replies 6.9K views

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was your BT Sport contract??
    12 months ,18,, 24 ?
  • takethemontakethemon Forumite
    137 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Further to my entry on the superseded thread. I asked and was answered in the affirmative that the price will not increase over the 18 month contract.
    The confirmation email made no such cast iron guarantee, only stating that I have a special price for 18 months.
    Only time will tell if I have been deliberately misled.

Ongoing charges for this order

BT Sport Pack £29.99
    Get the best BT Sport deal with BT Broadband - https://www.bt.com/packages

BT Sport Pack Special Offer -£12.00
    You get your BT Sport at a special rate for 18 months

Both the figures quoted are £2 higher than what I was being charged and what I have been offered.
  • edited 20 June 2019 at 10:07PM
    johnbhoy10johnbhoy10 Forumite
    452 posts
    edited 20 June 2019 at 10:07PM
    takethemon wrote: »
    Further to my entry on the superseded thread. I asked and was answered in the affirmative that the price will not increase over the 18 month contract.
    The confirmation email made no such cast iron guarantee, only stating that I have a special price for 18 months.
    Only time will tell if I have been deliberately misled.

Ongoing charges for this order

BT Sport Pack £29.99
    Get the best BT Sport deal with BT Broadband - https://www.bt.com/packages

BT Sport Pack Special Offer -£12.00
    You get your BT Sport at a special rate for 18 months

Both the figures quoted are £2 higher than what I was being charged and what I have been offered.

I'm paying £38.99 just now and got though today and got Broadband and calls for £21.99 (-£2) and MAX HD for £14 (-£1) so
    £35.99 for next 18 months.

However, the guy was quite clear with me that my email would still show £38.99 but he needed to forward it his manager to sign off and it would indeed be £35.99. Maybe similar with you??

ps-you have the usual 14 days cooling period anyway
  • edited 21 June 2019 at 11:29AM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 June 2019 at 11:29AM
    Contracts from at least 2017 on sign up welcome email and on all advertising .
    #Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us. We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen. #
    Thats what you agree to ..

NEW terms 2019 onwards on advertising and new contracts .
    #
    The legal stuff
    Each year from March 2020, the price of your SIM Only, Data SIM, Family SIM, tablet, mobile phone, mobile broadband, broadband and landline plan and most of our other prices will increase by the rate of inflation (the Consumer Price Index rate published in January of that year). This includes call charges, features and plans. Other terms, prices and products, like BT TV or BT Sport, might also change during your contract.

#
  • fagunfagun Forumite
    411 posts
    I signed up in 2018 (not 2019), so still have 9 months left on minimum contract term. Price increase means a 40% rise so well above CPI.

BT are (illegally) saying I can only avoid the price increase if I sign up to new 18 month contract. I know that I can successfully argue that statement is incorrect and leave penalty free.

However, do I have legal recourse to force them to continue providing the service to end of minimum contract? Either by saying price increase iis outside of CPI or leaving as the only recourse creates an unfair contract term since their is an unfair balance of power on if they fulfil the contract?
  • edited 21 June 2019 at 11:48AM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 June 2019 at 11:48AM
    CPI increase is for MARCH 2020 not relevant this year .I said new terms 2019 onwards not 2018 as that was not on your contract .

This is what is on your current contract signed in 2018 .
    #Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us. We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen.

Legally you are wrong BT are right .CPI has nothing to do with your 2018 contract .

Just to be clear above details are from actual BT contracts 2017 and 2018 .
    Plus new CPI May 2019 contract .
  • fagunfagun Forumite
    411 posts
    Thank you JJ Egan for clarifying the 2018 contract term (I couldn't find it). I thought that OfCom has already opined that price rises have to be linked to inflation. My question is - can a 40% price rise be challenged as breach of contract or unfair contract term?
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better ask Ofcom .
    However as TV or Sport are an add on not the main BB contract unsure if Ofcom rules actually apply .
  • xssc32xxssc32x Forumite
    53 posts
    Had email a few days ago, increasing by £4. Currently paying £23.99 for broadband and phone plus £22.00 (minus &5) for Max 4K, total £40.99. Kicker being I can’t seem to get any 4K tv unless I use Ethernet direct from router. Surely should be in a position to not have to pay the additional £4 ?
    Thoughts?
    Cheers
    Si
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ethernet only means your wifi signal is not strong enopugh . Move router nearer to TV Box .

4K works over Ethernet means no get out as it works .