Forum Home» Phones & TV» TV MoneySaving

BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month - MSE News - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
38 replies 6.9K views

Replies

• xssc32xxssc32x Forumite
    53 posts
    4K issue aside can I not just say I don’t want the channels that the £4 increase affects and carry on paying the same minus these channels?
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can only ask BT and they can say no or offer a deal .
  • Dave_606Dave_606 Forumite
    55 posts
    Well I'll be cancelling the TV part as that will otherwise push what I signed up for at about £44.49 near 18 months ago to about £51 with the £4 price rise & that's the point where enough is enough for what little subscription TV we watch. Somewhere along the line BT have also imposed a rise I knew nothing about as the current bill is £46.99, yet my last agreement was £44.49. So I'll be going through my bills to see where this other price rise came from because I negotiated a slight reduction 12 months when the 2018 price rise was £4.49 in return for renewing the 18 month contract ago yet the current bill suggests they may have imposed part of the previous price rise all the same!!!!. So this is certainly something I'll be raising with them when I call to cancel.

Either way removing the TV package will near half the bill which is fine with us!.
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last BT price rise well posted on this board from June 2018 took effect Sept 2018 .No price rise since then .
    55 posts
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Last BT price rise well posted on this board from June 2018 took effect Sept 2018 .No price rise since then .

June 2018 was about when I recall being offered a reduction in the total bill of £0.50 per month,. That was in return for renewing for 18 months despite only having been with them for about 4 months by that point. And whilst I'm fairly certain I'd have recalled any official standard price rise, what remains is at some point our bill has gone up by £2.49 per month when it should be £0.50 cheaper. So I'll be going through everything to see where that's come from.
    55 posts
    Ah, found the extra £2.50 discount lower down the bill, so still paying £44.49 lol. But in percentage terms, the £4 rise is in fact over 20% seeing as the TV package is £18.50 per month. Funny how on my price rise notification it's levied against the entire HD Max TV package yet with others its only on BT Sports?.
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price rise see post one .
    Sport and TV .
  • wild666wild666 Forumite
    425 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Just rang them, I don't want BT sport and only had it because it was free. I've been told that I cannot leave that part of my contract and have to pay a £40 or something fee. They can continue to let me have it for free until Jan 2020 but I will be in a new 18 month contract.

If any part of the contract rises above the price of inflation then you can cancel without penalty they are trying it on with customers. They gave it FREE so cancelling early would be no loss to the provider. They gave me FREE SPORTS for 18 months in 2015, but in July 2016 they increased their prices above inflation and never notified me of any BB increases, so as the sports was part of a total package, BB, phone and internet, I cancelled and BT wanted £220 saying the sports package entered me into another 18 month contract with BT. I complained but they initially stood by their £220 until I contacted the CEO telling him the the regulator would look on them unfavourably and I ended up paying just £2 to leave them because the BB was connected 1 day after my line was taken over by another supplier.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • xssc32xxssc32x Forumite
    53 posts
    Just called BT, no £4 increase applied as perme email. However up’d internet speed to 76mbps for an additional £1 so have 4K max with the 76 mbps for £41.99. Have cooling off period if anyone thinks I could haggle better?
    Regards
    Simon
  • I got the £4 increase email, but when I rang they actually reduced BT Sport from £7 to £6, and gave me 3 free months of HD, which they normally charge me £6.50 for. (Does anyone actually choose to watch in SD?) But I had to extend my broadband and sport contracts to December 2020! I’m happy enough, but I do resent dealing with such a scummy company.