PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Liz,

There's an earlier thread with some good ideas so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    super41 wrote: »
    I sometimes mix mincemeat into apple when making apple crumble - makes a bit of a change and is tasty. I wonder what it would be liked mixed into bread & butter pud before baking? Just seen Queenie has suggested this so it must work!

I go with the mix it with stewed apple and put it in a pie or crumble - OR - put it under some sponge mix - yummy
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for resurrecting this thread.........I too have mincemeat left over from Christmas and as we have a summer school student staying with us for three weeks I want to do something yummy to slice up and put into her packed lunch......the crumble thingies sound just the thing!

:D
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Liz_M
    Liz_M Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Oops I should have tried looking for old topics first, sorry!
    Thanks for all the suggestions I will try some of them...probably the muffins first I think.. I'll let you know how they turn out :P
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have half a jar of home made gooseberry jam which has started to ferment because it hasn't been used regularly. Unless somebody can come up with some innovative suggestions (apart from making wine) with it, I will reluctantly have to bin it. I still have three unopened jars of it in the cupboard so it won't be the end of the world but I just hate wasting it on principle.
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all.

Have just over half a (large) jar of mincemeat adn can't face making any more mincepies.

I want to make something easy that will use this up asap....
    All ideas very gratefully received.

thanks all....
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Muffins
    Rolypoly pud
    Mixed with apples and turn into a crumble

Just a few!!
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd make a 4 egg sponge cake mix and whack it in that as it makes a really nice substitute for fruit cake

Lesleyxx
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]i adjusted this and used mincemeat, i actually double the recipe (see notes at bottom)

Old Fashioned Raspberry Bars
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]110 g packed light brown sugar
    125 g all-purpose flour
    1 g baking soda
    0.8 g salt
    80 g rolled oats
    115 g butter, softened
    255 g raspberry jam
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 8 inch square pan.
    Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture.
    Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge.
    Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
    Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
    [/FONT]Double recipe. cut sugar to 200 g ad 80g oats and 8og ground almonds

tastes delish!

hth
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    mmm with apples in an apple pie
    Chuck it in a fruit cake
    Make a mincemeat strudel with puff pastry or filo pastry

:)
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure