Disgraceful treatment from TUI,

Options

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    London3344 wrote: »
    I like plane food - i find it werid how so many people dislike it unless they taste buds can't take simple food anymore.

I'd disagree with you that plane food is simple....congealed, warmed up stoge would be the kindest description of the majority of it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I like plane food - i find it werid how so many people dislike it unless they taste buds can't take simple food anymore.

My taste buds can take all sorts of different foods.
    I'm just averse to something that's been nuked to death and attempting to eat it with someone's elbow in my ribs.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Our flight to FLL in September will be a novelty as it's BA rather than Norwegian so includes food (we never check bags) I suspect I'll still raid M&S and also eat in the lounge before boarding anyway though......not sure what the AA offerings will be like flying home but plenty of food choices to bring on board at MIA.

You must be on one of the last flights to FLL. BA are dropping the route after 7 September. It's one of the routes that BA started in their attempt to crush Norwegian.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 June 2019 at 8:59AM
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    One thing is true, you did feel like a valued customer more back in the day.

Now you're just herded through airports and onto planes.

Cheap, cheaper, cheapest has won the day, especially for short haul.

I know it was all factored in the price, but to get a newspaper, sweet and a decent meal included did used to be "part of the holiday", now flights are the "grin and bare it" part of the holiday IMO.

(Still think OP's dad is barking mad though!! Times have moved on and if you don't like it, vote with your feet!!)

I suppose it all depends how long ago "back in the day" was and what the relative price was.

I remember my parents booking our first foreign holiday back in the early 80's. IIRC it took them 2 years and an unexpected bonus from my dads work for them to save up to afford it. Now a household with an equivalent income could probably afford to go each year.

Now that flying is far more common and therefore less of an "experience", only a small minority actively choose to to pay the equivalent premium for a mint, newspaper, complementary meal and a little more special treatment. In fact it could be comparable to premium economy or business class today in terms of relative cost.

Instead the masses have voted, and the masses appear to want (myself included) minimal cost for the basic flight with the option to pay for the extras separately if desired.

I appreciate that many people consider the flight as part of the holiday experience, but after watching the family of 4 in front of us on our last (3 hour) flight order two rounds of drinks and snacks at £47 per round and then the pre-booked meals which were about around £10 per head, I could think of better things to do with £140 when I arrive at a the destination. For example, we booked a hire car for the entire 12 days for £114 which allowed us to explore the entire island!)

When we travel we take some snacks on the plane with us which we bought before arriving at the airport and grabbed some drinks after security, which for us was more than enough for a 3 hour flight with quite a bit left over.

Unfortunately it seem that the OP is expecting 1950's service at 2019 low cost A-B charter prices. :)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately it seem that the OP is expecting 1950's service at 2019 low cost A-B charter prices
    I first flew to Spain when I was in primary school, late 1950s, with parents and relatives - the charter flight was pretty basic.

Propeller driven aircraft - the stewardess came with a tray of sweets to suck, however I think that was to induce passengers to swallow and release pressure build up in the ears. At least that's how it was explained to me by dad.

Not sure it was intended to be a "nice little touch" to enhance the experience.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I guess I had a picture of a golden age BOAC Stratocruiser in my head when I wrote the post, but I suppose there were fairly basic charter flights back then too. 😁
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Long haul flights are incredibly cheap, and everyone has benefitted. Towards the front of the plane, a business class ticket will typically cost you less than you would have paid for economy 40 years ago. At the back, you have incredibly cheap flights, with excellent IFE to take your mind off the overcrowding and discomfort.

What has suffered is short haul, where the option to pay a premium fare for a better experience no longer exists. Short haul business class seats on most european airlines are the same as economy; you just have an empty seat next to you and free food and drink. And a short haul flight can be 4 or 5 hours :-(
  • London3344
    London3344 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of people do want holiday's like that. They want a decent hotel rep service to ease the confusion which is increasingly rare.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Options
    The seat map is still the same but the travel agents have said it could get changed at any time.

If seats together are cancelled it may well end up being first come first serve and coming home that is the whim of the coach transfer as to when you get to the airport. That aspect has been paid for - if it is cancelled it should be compensation alongside a refund because the quality of the flight could be made unbearable ( I have autism and it would make the flight unbearable).

It is also the attiuide of the staff which sounded like it was - hey not our fault we not to blame and we not reassuring you because we haven't learned that manners builds respect.

Have you told TUI that you have a disability and asked them to make reasonable adjustments for you?

They’re normally pretty decent, they can’t change the fact that the planes aren’t safe!

I found this on their website with a number to call which may be helpful:

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/faq/i-m-autistic-or-have-learning-difficulties,-what-help-can-you-arrange-for-me?catId=265&subcatId=298&docId=976
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    .- the stewardess came with a tray of sweets to suck, however I think that was to induce passengers to swallow and release pressure build up in the ears. At least that's how it was explained to me by dad.

Not sure it was intended to be a "nice little touch" to enhance the experience.

I used to enjoy picking a boiled sweet from the little round basket :D

I was VERY young!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family