Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 July 2014 at 5:21PM
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    lee- if you ever scrap it shout me.. ill probs buy alloys and spoiler off you ;)

No chance of that anytime soon unless a catastrophic breakdown happens that will take £500+ to fix. :D:D found one of the door mirrors had been bent back the wrong way this week, luckily it wasn't damaged and went back into place ok. I seem to have a problem of attracting door mirror breakers. Pavement side too.

Just checked the tyre pressures this afternoon and noticed that one of the mismatched (new) tyres that the last owner put on has a DOT code of 1209. Should I be worried about a new tyre that has been sitting round 5 years before use?
  • Farzackerly
    Farzackerly Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Just checked the tyre pressures this afternoon and noticed that one of the mismatched (new) tyres that the last owner put on has a DOT code of 1209. Should I be worried about a new tyre that has been sitting round 5 years before use?

Nah; 5 years is the recommended maximum and that's covering their ar5ses with that - rubber does go off a bit, but if you're not an F1 jockey, you'd not notice it.
    A big caveat - assuming the tyre was stored properly - you don't know what conditions it was kept in, so keep an eye on it.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    mcjordi, that is the name of the Lucas stuff, but it lubricates and rejuvenates old (and not so old Jags) power steering pumps. It doesn't just stop leaks.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    colino wrote: »
    mcjordi, that is the name of the Lucas stuff, but it lubricates and rejuvenates old (and not so old Jags) power steering pumps. It doesn't just stop leaks.

ahh right.. nowt to loose i suppose. noise just suddenly appeared on friday morning lol
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I am pleasantly surprised by the Hyundai's fuel economy, seems to do 29mpg at all times and in all places! Pretty impressive given I don't hang about, drive a fair bit in the city and, erm, very much enjoy the kickdown noise. All I've spent on it has been an oil change and ATF change. Did notice one front tyre appears to be wearing slightly quicker than the other, although it is slight and its not wearing unevenly across the tyre. Might get it laser tracked at some point if I can be bothered.

I do love that feeling of being in a comfortable car on the motorway and not struggling to keep up in lane 3.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I seem to be getting 38mpg in the Megane according to the trip computer. Although I always seem to be be putting £20 of petrol in every week no matter how many miles I do.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, I'll add my most recent anyway - not sure it's bangernomics, but I've had a good few in this thread. :D
    I've always liked the MG ZT-T - I've owned a few, however finding a decent automatic diesel version is tricky (they're quite rare).

At the worst time possible (I'd literally just settled a couple of credit cards!) one came up for a good price. I managed to scrape some cash together, and behold:
    68e0d6ff-25ce-4452-be1a-42b63211a5a4_zps74e205b5.jpg~original

She's got the BMW diesel engine (M47) with the Jatco JF506E gearbox - meaning reliability shouldn't be an issue.
    Gear changes were quite rough when I got the car, and this got worse over a few weeks. In the end it was a faulty solenoid, which cost £60 and a couple of hours of garden-car DIY to fix. :D

So far, it's brilliant. Plenty of room for all of my work bits and bobs, I'll sleep in the car for gigs and camping with friends, and cruise control etc is lovely in something like this.

I paid £1500 for the car, but I'm hoping to get a good few years - and with my mileage, that'll be my money's worth. I do about 25,000 miles a year, a lot of which is around town. :)
  • mcjordi
    Options
    ive tried that lucas stuff.. have put around a 1/4 of a bottle in and so far the noise is still there.. my mechanic friend thinks its either powersteering or alternator but has advised me to take of aux belt and see if noise persists.. if so its gotta be water pump/timing belt realated.

if noise goes then ive ruled out water pump etc
    1v100 £15/300
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When using the gloop, your best to take out as much of the reservoir contents (use the wifes turkey baster, she wont mind) and replace with the Lucas stuff. Purists will tell you to completely drain and refill, but I've never used more than a quarter of the bottle and had good results each time.
    Eliminating the source of noise can either be done by removing the belts as you say, or using your WD40 or similar with its "straw" attached and idling the car then spraying each of the relevant component hubs, one at a time until the noise temporarily goes away. Of the list, only the waterpump will give you any more clues. You might spot a trickle of rusty water below it and you may just feel play in the pump by rocking the pulley. Timing belt tensioners you really have to dig in and investigate, or depending on the value of the banger, wait for it to go bang.
  • mcjordi
    Options
    had the belt off this morning.. fiddly putting it back on tho haha

the noise is coming from the tensioner pulley for the fan belt.. its very noisey and rough sounding when spun. so will price one of them up

at least i know its not the water pump which would of meant early timing belt and pump...

should of done this to start with but i suppose the gloop wont harm the pump.. i bought a turkey baster yesterday trawled every sodding shop lol.
    1v100 £15/300
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport