MSE News: Sky TV customers face up to 10% price hike

Options

Comments

• Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 June 2014 at 9:43PM
    Options
    I've had Sky for 3 years and move home next week, I agreed to a new 12m contract as I was offered a £30 pm deal for 12 months. This was for everything TV, phone and broadband.

It will be interesting to see if 1 month later, they send me a letter putting my TV up 10% at the beginning of a new 12 month agreement, which was to retain my custom in the first place...

If they dare send me a letter, queue a nasty phone call to Sky's contact centre. :)
  • wilcochris
    Options
    Please don't shout at us when you call. We don't like it as much as you guys. I personally think any price rise sucks.

You may well find that you will get a price rise letter.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wilcochris wrote: »
    Please don't shout at us when you call. We don't like it as much as you guys. I personally think any price rise sucks.

Don't feel bad, I work in a call centre so know how it all works, I don't get vicious.

Just very stern and expect to be treated as a customer, not a number, especially during a new contract to retain my custom. ;)

If it was one of my customer's at work I would ensure these charges do not apply in my scenario as it would be ludicrous and a huge insult.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What is it with Sky and all these over hyped USA dramas and seasons? Whatever happened to British made stuff?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is it with Sky and all these over hyped USA dramas and seasons? Whatever happened to British made stuff?

They don't spend a lot on their own productions, so, as we have our British tv programmes, the only way to provide 'exclusive' content is to import it second hand.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wasn't it ever thus?
    If Sky existed thirty-five years ago, they'd have acquired Dallas and Dynasty etc.
    The BBC (and ITV/CH4) still produce British material- but Sky can hardly pinch such "in house" productions.
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I just phoned to cancel sky sports and the HD package( don't see any difference in HD ). As usual they took my cancellation, no offers and it costs to phone them which is a total ripoff. They put you on hold for ages.
    travelover
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    So, does this mean that people NOT in a minimum term will get away without the increase?

Doesn't scare me though, i'm just riding out until my contract expires in November, already got 2 Freesat boxes ready to go, and any price rise that might allow me to get out of contract early is welcome...
  • Deadbeat
    Deadbeat Posts: 133 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    wilcochris wrote: »

I know; I used to work on Turnaround in 1996.

Glad I no longer work at Sky, and never will again.
  • pugsley29
    pugsley29 Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sky is such a rip off, when you leave they keep you on the line for half an hour basically harrassing you to stay. I know about the offers they give you at that point but just wanted to leave. I am not overplaying how hard it is to leave them, it stressed me out when I was very ill and I'm very forthright and confident, I told them at the time I would not be back as they were making it so difficult for me to leave, I was not on a contract.

I decided to say goodbye to Sky after 8 years last month, I've now got a Humax recorder from Ebay about £50 for freeview, and Now Tv box, Blinkbox, I will only purchase Now Tv (which is Sky prepay) entertainment package when Game of Thrones is on though, I used a different email address to set this up as I don't want Sky hassling me to come back again. I was also given a YouView box which I have found I do not need.

Cost to me £4.99 a month when Game of Thrones is on and £0.00 when not.

I was lucky to win a grand worth of Blinkbox credit last year and use this when there is a film I really want to see.

The licence fee still sucks as I rarely if ever watch bbc channels.
    Wishing you a lucky 2023: 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport