Barclays say I can claim my PPI

Options
I'm a bit confused, I suddenly had all these letters from Barclays yesterday saying an independent company called Alley started the ball rolling for me to claim PPI on 26 different things like loans, credit cards etc I had over the years before I was bankrupt about 11 years ago.
I rang the number on the letters, and they said I can claim because the amount of PPI could by far exceed the amount I originally went bankrupt for. But warned me they would have to notify the OP and some would have to go back to the OP.

So basically they said for example if I declared myself bankrupt for a debt of 38 thousand, but the PPI coming back to me is 50 thousand I will get 12 thousand, especially as the PPI has built up interest which I didnt realize.

I have asked on here before if I'm eligible to claim any PPI concidering I was bankrupt before and all the answers were that I definetly couldn't which I accepted.

So why now are Barclays saying I can? Is it because the amount of PPI is so great that it more than pays back the OP and leaves me a few thousand aswell? They said I got miss sold PPI on 26 different things in the years before my bankruptcy so I suspect its quite a chunk of money.

Comments

• Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you ever actually start a claim with Allay?

Are these figures accurate? If so, on a £50,000 sum the OR would take 15% realisation fee (that’s £7,500), then their general and administration fees (that’s nearly £9000) and then after that there wouldn’t be enough to pay off £38,000 of debt, let alone have any surplus to return to you.
  • renegadefm
    renegadefm Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Minkym00, I kept getting emails and texts from Alley saying I got a lot of PPI owed to me, quite how they know this is beyond me. I recieved online forms from them for me to click on to accept the ball to roll on claiming, non of which I recall on doing. But Barclays said yesterday sometimes when the claim is so big they get these claims rolling even without the persons concent as they have nothing to lose anyway. Well thats how the Barclays woman explained it to me anyway. Her words not mine because I didnt even think I was eligible to even claim. But it seems I can.

I even said to her am I breaking the law by claiming, but she said no its fine. So now I am confused.com
  • renegadefm
    Options
    Minkym00 sorry no those were example figures we talked about on the phone with the Barclays woman who is from the special PPI claims team. My bankruptcy was for 38 thousand 11 years ago. But I am under the impression the PPI return exceeds this according to how the woman from Barclays explained it over the phone. Especially given I got 26 different things where PPI have been sold on.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 22 January 2020 at 3:59AM
    Options
    I am genuinely astounded that you could have been paying PPI on 26 different products with Barclays. How could you possibly have had so many credit cards and loans from them?
    renegadefm wrote: »
    Minkym00, I kept getting emails and texts from Alley saying I got a lot of PPI owed to me, quite how they know this is beyond me. I recieved online forms from them for me to click on to accept the ball to roll on claiming, non of which I recall on doing. But Barclays said yesterday sometimes when the claim is so big they get these claims rolling even without the persons concent as they have nothing to lose anyway. Well thats how the Barclays woman explained it to me anyway. Her words not mine because I didnt even think I was eligible to even claim. But it seems I can.

I even said to her am I breaking the law by claiming, but she said no its fine. So now I am confused.com
    How can these Abbey people possibly know any information about you if you have not given it to them? They sent texts like that by the thousands hoping somebody will bite.
    As for them getting the ball rolling without your consent, they absolutely cannot do that. As for them having nothing to loose, they would have plenty to loose if you were to take legal action against them for 'getting the ball rolling' without your consent!

Anyway, I thought the PPI claim deadline had passed.
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As per the above, I think there’s a lot of confusion here.

Allay can’t get any balls rolling without your signature. They were very sneaky in the year or so leading up to the deadline and obtained signatures and details from punters via Facebook adverts for ‘Sarah’s Money’ & ‘Angela’s advice’, neither of which declared they were in fact Adverts set up by allay. They offered ‘free PPI checks’ but you still had to provide a signature via your phone/tablet (usually) and that’s how they got you.

There’s no public record of PPI sales, so unless Barclays have actually upheld your complaints and made you an offer, Allay would know as much as you - nothing.

You say you have 26 PPI policies - that’s high but it’s not to say they weren’t Mis sold. You could be about to get 26 defend letters through the post. Likewise, you may have had 26 policies but they may have been cancelled inside a 30 day cooling off period, on a loan for example, or on credit cards where you paid the full balance each month and never actually paid any premiums.

I certainly wouldn’t be counting your chickens just yet.

As for ben’s last post above, the deadline passed on 29 August 2019, however if you started a complaint or requested information prior to this it may have been ‘auto-converted’ into a complaint when the lender finished their initial checks. Having PPI, however, is not grounds for a refund.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January 2020 at 10:46AM
    Options
    You wont be able to claim for any PPI before you became a bankrupt doesnt matter how much is ends up being.

IVA on the other hand would be different.
  • brettcta
    Options
    The foxy, sly old stoaty stoaty stoat has it right.
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • renegadefm
    Options
    I definetly didnt sign anything. The number I rang was a Barclays PPI team, they just said there are 26 different things I got PPI on but not all Barclays. In the years leading up to my bankruptcy I had lots of credit cards and conciliation loans. But I dont know how Barclays have records or a list of this.

I specifically asked am I doing anything wrong and she said no. Even though the deadline is over they are still sorting through thousands of claims. Thats all I know. But she said shes got to notify the OR to see how much they want back.
  • brettcta
    Options
    Barclays won’t know what you have elsewhere unless it’s with companies they are liable for re PPI redress. What was the number you called?

Again, just to point out, having PPI isn’t cause for redress. You and the OR may get sweet FA yet.
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    Your options are this:
    1) Believe everything you've been told on here before
    2) Go through with the claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts