Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2012 at 7:57PM
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    Hi,

That's a recent fixed price electric contract and the bulk tank is going down a few percent a year on the hob so should last another 23 years :rotfl: Hopefully I'll get a new kitchen before then ;)

Cheers
    Thats a staggering low price can you tell me who it is with and what the tarrif is? My new tarrif is:-
    EDF Blue + Price Promise September 2013
    Standing charges 18.90p £5.54 a month
    13.608p Day
    5.334p Night
    but i can swithch at anytime with no charge and a 15 reward for swithching will look around once I get my 15. I only use 27 a month so 15 pound is worth haveing.
    This tarrif is an E7 but I don't save on it I just do it to encourage myself to use as much electricity as I can at night which is more environmentally friendly. I can only manage about 15% at night.
    As I thought on the LPG just useing it for cooking will make it last for donkeys years. What have you switched to for your central heating?
  • SD-253 wrote: »
    Thats a staggering low price can you tell me who it is with and what the tarrif is? What have you switched to for your central heating?

Hi,

It's an npower go fix tariff. Can't remember which one off the top of my head as can't see it on the bill just the rate.

Heating & DHW is by Air Source Heat Pump which uses about 6500 units a year :)

Cheers

Colin
  • ilikecookies
    Options
    frankie wrote: »

Recall trying to get a 'standard tariff' price in the past and got nowhere!

Ah well, tank is full and should last out till contract end when I have to start the whole sorry procedure of getting the best price all over again. Bl***dy lpg!

I remember these friendly price increase letters only too well - from the way Flogas used to phrase them they were always really upset about increasing the price but they just had to do it so they could scrape by :)

One winter we have three of them and that's when I decided enough was enough and switched to oil.

I don't think there is a standard tariff. They just fleece each customer for as much as they can (allegedly).
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smithm wrote: »
    Interesting - I've got exactly the same letter but my 'standard rate' has gone from an apparently discounted 50.9p up to a standard 54.4pppl.

Looks like their standard rate is '4p more than you were paying'. Swines.

What region are you in and what is your annual consumption?

I'm SE Cornwall and only use about one tank per year.
  • Smithm_3
    Options
    I'm in Nottinghamshire and use on average £200 a month. Gas aga, in case you're wondering...
  • SD-253
    edited 29 September 2012 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Smithm wrote: »
    I'm in Nottinghamshire and use on average £200 a month. Gas aga, in case you're wondering...
    I think Agas should be avoided as a way of heating/cooking. Unless its wood of course and only then if you have cheap supply. I have never come accross anyone who rates them. A mate got rid of his aga oil cooker as it was using more oil than the central heating.
    I am afraid I would never be in a rush to get rid of LPG for oil as the cost of replacing the boiler would not pay for itself at least not for me. Also I have never heard of LPG supplier raising there prices in extreme weather. The price of oil doubled during the bad snow. Cooking with gas is also far cheaper than oil and is availble when your electric is off.
    Will an oil cooker work when there is no electric????
    By the way for those who might not know LPG gives you 7.11 KWH while Oil gives you 10.35 kwh per litre assuming 100% effiency, so your LPG needs to be 30% less per litre to equal oil.
    Anyone got a price for oil per litre at the moment? as I think they are beggining to close.
    I am of course ignoring any extra costs associated with oil or gas. IE cooking tank costs oil/gas and serviceing.
  • SD-253
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    SD-253 wrote: »
    Thats a staggering low price can you tell me who it is with and what the tarrif is? What have you switched to for your central heating?

Hi,

It's an npower go fix tariff. Can't remember which one off the top of my head as can't see it on the bill just the rate.

Heating & DHW is by Air Source Heat Pump which uses about 6500 units a year :)

Cheers

Colin
    Maybe my price is not that high as it is E7. I think I may check the price for removing the meter although why they say the meter has to changed is beyond me. All they have to do is add the 2 together and that would be the same as non E7 meter.
  • ilikecookies
    ilikecookies Posts: 196 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2012 at 2:05PM
    Options
    SD-253 wrote: »
    I think Agas should be avoided as a way of heating/cooking. Unless its wood of course and only then if you have cheap supply. I have never come accross anyone who rates them. A mate got rid of his aga oil cooker as it was using more oil than the central heating.

I agree. When we moved into our property (old poorly-insulated 5-bed in an exposed location) the CH was done via the LPG Rayburn. The costs were truly frightening! We were getting through about 200 litres of LPG per week and I swear that was using the heating sparingly! Three reasons for this I think - firstly it was an old AGA so terribly inefficient compared to today's boilers: probably about 50-60% efficient vs. 90-98% today. And secondly as it is also cooker and is "always-on" via a pilot it would use 60 litres on a week just idling! We still have the AGA and am hoping either to find someone with more money than sense to take it off my hands (as they do at least look gorgeous) or its off to the scrappy. Thirdly poor insulation which we have been tackling as money allows.
    I am afraid I would never be in a rush to get rid of LPG for oil as the cost of replacing the boiler would not pay for itself at least not for me. Also I have never heard of LPG supplier raising there prices in extreme weather. The price of oil doubled during the bad snow. Cooking with gas is also far cheaper than oil and is availble when your electric is off. Will an oil cooker work when there is no electric????

It was a difficult decision whether to stick with LPG or move to oil. Moving to renewables would have been my preference but the costs just didn't stack up. Because we needed a new boiler anyway (to replace the aforementioned AGA) it was an easier decision to switch I guess as the only additional outlay was the oil tank. We reckon it will take us 3-4 years to recover the capital costs and then it will be cheaper and also less hassle to run on oil as opposed to LPG. With LPG you also need to take into account:

1) Tank rental costs which obviously you don't have with oil

2) Contracts which tie you in and you have no choice but to accept price increases whereas with oil you can at least "shop-around" for the lowest price. In our first year with LPG Flogas increased the price 3 times on us over what was admittedly a bad winter - increasing from 39ppl up to 59ppl blaming cold whether each time. Maybe Flogas jaded me too much but after dealing with them I wanted off LPG as I just couldn't get round the fact of being saddled with one supplier and having the price dictated.

3) This may not be an issue for some but you can have bigger oil tanks than LPG tanks - I think the largest domestic LPG tank you can have is about 2000 litres but in reality you can only fill this to 85% capacity as the gas needs to expand so 1700 litres. With oil there is no limit per se.

What I like about this is that I can fill up our 2500 tank with oil over the summer months when the price dips and then have no hassle with top-ups in the winter (we live on a narrow lane so if snowy/icy is difficult to get deliveries), we cn ride out winter price increases, etc as we fill up in the summer, etc. With LPG we kept running out every couple of weeks and so were constantly stressing, topping-up and being screwed by price rises. But admittedly if we had an efficient LPG boiler this would have been less of an issue.
    By the way for those who might not know LPG gives you 7.11 KWH while Oil gives you 10.35 kwh per litre assuming 100% effiency, so your LPG needs to be 30% less per litre to equal oil.
    Anyone got a price for oil per litre at the moment? as I think they are beggining to close.
    I am of course ignoring any extra costs associated with oil or gas. IE cooking tank costs oil/gas and serviceing.

Well let's assume that servicing costs and boiler efficiencies are the same for both. You're right that LPG needs to be 30% cheaper than oil for it to be cheaper to run. According to the Notts Energy Partnership's August data oil is marginally cheaper per kw/h than LPG (7.21 vs 7.62). In previous months the gaps in favour of oil had been much higher though (eg. June was 6.15 vs 8 for LPG!). This is one of the things I like about oil and having a big tank - I can fill up whenever the price is lower.

I guess it comes down to personal circumstances whether switching is worth it. But from our experience we'd definitely recommend oil over LPG and know more people who have switched this way than vice versa.
  • longforgotten
    Options
    One good thing about LPG is that no one can nick it !

It would break my heart to have a big tank of oil only to have the oil nicked. This crime has become rife in some rural areas......or is it diesel that they're after

Anyway, I wonder if the oil is covered in house/contents insurance ?
  • ilikecookies
    Options
    One good thing about LPG is that no one can nick it !

It would break my heart to have a big tank of oil only to have the oil nicked. This crime has become rife in some rural areas......or is it diesel that they're after

Anyway, I wonder if the oil is covered in house/contents insurance ?

That's a good point - LPG can't (easily!) be stolen.

Different insurers handle this differently so advise folks to check with their specific insurer to see if it's covered and to what limit. Usually comes under garden contents ...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback