Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 2nd Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 4,023Posts
    • 2,978Thanks
    GreatApe
    BEVs deals and information
    • 2nd Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    BEVs deals and information 2nd Oct 19 at 11:46 AM
    A thread for deals on BEVs

This seems very tempting 5,631 for two years brand new EV
    No road tax 300
    No MOT 100
    No congestion charge. xyz
    Around 2,350 fuel savings over the two years
    Around 250 electric cost
    Overall cost of ownership would be circa 5631 - 2,000 fuel - 300 road tax -100 MOT +250 electric so about 3,500 or 22p per mile for the capital cost which is very competitive

Also being a new car has no maintenance or breakdown costs so even lower cost Vs keeping your old car

Also the range may be only 180 miles but since it's a lease feel free to charge to 100% often as you don't need to worry about battery life rather than the more recommend 80% (although I'd say don't be an !!! treat the car well so the next owner has a good experience too)

5p night time charging

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hyundai-ioniq-electric-100kw-premium-38kwh-24m-lease-8k-miles-pa-1114-initial-189pm-160-admin-5631-at-leasing-options-3303000

Seems a good deal if in the market for a replacement car

Can buy via a company to save VAT and delivery around Jan so will benefit most its life from 0-1% BIK

Tempting......
    Last edited by GreatApe; 02-10-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Page 13
    • joefizz
    • By joefizz 21st Oct 19, 9:26 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    joefizz
    Circuit boards aren't really servicable though, are they? I've replaced the odd blown capacitor but circuit boards aren't very servicable. An agreed standard for manufacturers to abide by, like OBD2, would be great, but I think I need to point out that BMW and Nissan, for example, don't make airbags, they buy them (and their control systems) from a handful of manufacturers.
    Originally posted by almillar

Most circuit boards are easily replaceable and cheap, its the fixed specific housings that are usually the problem. Again, its not the airbags themselves but the controls which are usually bespoke. My airbag ecu was in a specific sealed metal housing so without getting the drill out (which would have probably caused more damage) it was hard to tell. Screws and replacement board would have sorted it out very quickly. Even if the board was obsolete it should be easy to replace (now as we speak) with arduino etc as long as the interface is published/known. There could be a license fee for this, effectively firmware download.
    As you mention about airbags, so it is with control systems but its the firmware that can be bespoke, just google replacements and you can see there are some generics (my diesel engine is used in over 10 marques, one of the reasons I bought it and like my camper, service parts can be found readily most places on earth).
    My older car alarm circuit is a good example. For some unknown reason the control box was placed inside the wheel arch so with time the seals go and water gets in even without bump starting blowing it, so eventually you cant get suitable breaker yard replacements. I did eventually get one but they are paired with the main ecu so to get the sounder bit working (the alarm arms, lights flash etc, just no noise) Id have to replace the main ecu as well. If they ever make a 100% working alarm a feature of the mot then Im screwed....
    At some point Im going to sit down and unsolder the processor from one board and swap it over to the other but thats a pita and I would hate to be paying someone to do it.

Just not profitable I guess for them, and it's not unique, there are third party markets for all sorts of stuff for cars, DPFs are just another one.
    3rd party stuff is based on economics. I have 3 vehicles and 2 haynes manuals for them as the third car wasnt produced in enough numbers to warrant making one. Same for replacement parts. Thats my point about making a lot of the bespoke stuff,generic from design. But that doesnt sell cars.
    There have been improvements but as we both mention above with sourcing common parts this has mostly been to do with industry consolidation and cost cutting rather than any environmental credentials.

Are you missing the simplest explanation about all this complicated new stuff being fitted to cars - that it's just expensive? A cat contains (or used to) platinum and/or gold - how much can you reduce the cost of this?
    See the news for the increase in cat thefts in London!

Certain things you cant rationalise the cost, some tps for instance is no more than 10 quids worth of electronics but being supplied for up to a grand, because, again, what are you going to do?

I recently replaced the power board in a 600+ quid monitor for 14 quid, not even the capacitors, replacement board complete.

Increasingly the components are generic, its how they are put together and linked up that are bespoke (and therefore as expensive as they want to make them).

Sure you have, I just told you about one example, and it was even pre DPF days.
    Reference from well over 10 years ago, 20 years ago if a psa car... As I mention it wasnt mentioned to me 12 years ago and maybe I should have included the word 'since' at the end of my point.

I dont think we are arguing over much, there are certain things like holes in bodywork, suspension failure etc that are scrapping mot failures/safety issues but there are things which if there were the political will to fix (and reduce emissions) wouldnt take much to implement.

That doesnt sell new cars and prop up the industry/economy which brings us back full circle, all of this is based on economics/economy and very little to do with environment/pollution.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 21st Oct 19, 1:08 PM
    • 8,164 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    almillar
    Having considered BEVs I think I've come to the conclusion of.......why?
    How about - the petrol and diesel is running out!?

Or - they have near silent motors, automatic, refinement, remote heating options etc.

I suspect despite the internet 'fact' that EVs need no major upkeep that it will in fact cost more to upkeep an EV than a petrol car especially with the worry about battery replacement costs
    What are those battery replacement costs again? After how many years/miles? Plenty of components similar to ICE cars to maintain, plenty missing, and a few big, expensive ones, that ICE cars don't have.

My 2p worth of advise to the car manufacturers would be. Don't bother with sub 200 mile offering unless it has a range extender
    How far do you drive in a day? Unless it's regularly over 200 miles, charging overnight will do fine - that's most UK drivers.

Place a small 3 litre petrol tank in your BEVs for heating purposes so winter range is the same as summer. The customer can of course opt to use the battery for heating if they aren't doing long trips
    Bonkers. Do you know what pre-heating is?
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 21st Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Bonkers.

You didn't actually attribute the quotes in your post to a specific user.
    Having read the quotes would my guess be right that it's somebody I have on ignore?

I can only judge by the suppositions and technical solutions supplied..
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 21st Oct 19, 5:07 PM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    GreatApe
    How about - the petrol and diesel is running out!?

Or - they have near silent motors, automatic, refinement, remote heating options etc.

What are those battery replacement costs again? After how many years/miles? Plenty of components similar to ICE cars to maintain, plenty missing, and a few big, expensive ones, that ICE cars don't have.

How far do you drive in a day? Unless it's regularly over 200 miles, charging overnight will do fine - that's most UK drivers.

Bonkers. Do you know what pre-heating is?

Petrol isn't running out over the next 10 years which is what matters
    So when I ask what's the point of BEVs the only thing you can come up with is that they are quite?
    You would pay 5-10k premium for the same car but in a slightly more quiet version?

I stick by my view

Tesla makes sense it's an expensive brand to show off with
    Non premium BEVs make no sense
    Hyundai Ionic comes in petrol (hybrid) or BEV and the cost difference is about 10k before government bribes which can't be sustainable in large volume. Why just why?

An e Golf is about 8,000 more than a petrol golf (before government bribes)
    Again why what's the point? You're not saving the planet you're not saving money and in this instance you don't even get to show off wealth or a status symbol

Tesla makes sense. A Tesla would make sense even of it was a petrol car that looked the same inside and out and cost the same. In fact I would wager if they sold a model 3 with petrol that was $5,000 lower in price that version would be the best seller in the USA. That would buy 2,000 gallons of fuel and if a petrol Tesla got 40mpg that's 120,000+ miles (probably closer to 150,000 miles considering interest and lower insurance costs) for break even of petrol Vs electric in the USA
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 21st Oct 19, 5:51 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 3,248 Thanks
    JKenH
    Europe considers relaxing self-driving laws under pressure from Tesla

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/10/20/europe-considers-relaxing-self-driving-laws-pressure-tesla/
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs )
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 21st Oct 19, 10:47 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    On the question of the Zoe there's a dealer up't North who has got a batch of 9 of them (19 plate dynamique Nav R110 Z.E.) he's knocking out for 18K, battery owned. Looks like there is starting to be a bit of movement in the market: competition and a new Zoe out i would guess..
    Originally posted by silverwhistle

Assuming the reference I saw was to the same dealer, it appears he's now sold (8 of) them at a rate of 1 a day.

It does illustrate that lower prices will stimulate movement in the market, although whether that is from people already committed and knowing a good deal is a reasonable question. But it also seems reasonable to conclude that standard rules apply, lower prices and increase volumes!

The experience of battery life and health (that old canard) has meant that the lease idea for the Zoe (and Leaf before), which was partly to reassure people about batteries, has recently been dropped.
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 23rd Oct 19, 10:50 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    1961Nick
    Some good news for Mart...

Great 3rd quarter from Tesla ...EPS $1.86 v. expected loss of $0.24.

Share price currently up $49.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141) - 30 pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400

Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
    • almillar
    • By almillar 24th Oct 19, 1:10 PM
    • 8,164 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    almillar
    silverwhistle:
    You didn't actually attribute the quotes in your post to a specific user.
    Having read the quotes would my guess be right that it's somebody I have on ignore?

I can only judge by the suppositions and technical solutions supplied..
    It was Great Ape.

Great Ape:
    Petrol isn't running out over the next 10 years which is what matters
    Disagree! That's a short sighted view. Even in only 10 years, going by supply and demand, it'll at least get more expensive.

So when I ask what's the point of BEVs the only thing you can come up with is that they are quite?
    You would pay 5-10k premium for the same car but in a slightly more quiet version?
    No there are stacks of benefits that I thought we'd already been over. And I mentioned 4 things, not 1. Also, you shouldn't be obsessing over list price of cars. I'm on my second EV, and I haven't paid close to list price to run them (PCP and PCH). You need to compare the full cost of ownership - I would call that everything, except insurance.
    Go ahead and pick on the list prices of two cars and call them expensive. There are plenty of examples of poor value cars. Here at MSE, we try to find good value ones. If you want an ioniq electric or eGolf, driveelectric are doing a good lease deal on them at the moment.
    Tesla would make sense even of it was a petrol car that looked the same inside and out and cost the same.
    There's nowhere for an ICE to go, of course.
    • ABrass
    • By ABrass 24th Oct 19, 3:06 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    ABrass
    You can't make a Tesla car with a petrol engine. ICE bits are different shapes and sizes. Thats why Tesla get more internal space out of the same external footprint as an ICE car. That's true for pretty much all the 'ground up' EV designs.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 24th Oct 19, 7:00 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    silverwhistle: It was Great Ape.

I'm utterly astonished..

The degree I did back in the mid 1970s was modern history, so absolutely no technical background, but even thenI thought it not a long term solution to be burning fossil fuels. A great transitional technology, but we really should be moving along faster and we should have started earlier.

It seems that some on here on some similar threads think that short term capitalist profit making excuses all sorts of actions in lobbying and telling lies. I have absolutely no problem with profit, in spite of all those Marxist lecturers, but do with the fact that all the social losses are conveniently ignored in their P&L accounts.
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 24th Oct 19, 10:13 PM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Disagree! That's a short sighted view. Even in only 10 years, going by supply and demand, it'll at least get more expensive.
    Says who?
    The same people who a decade ago where crying peak oil?
    But instead we got 8-9 mbpd of additional shale oil output and oil at half of 2008 prices

No there are stacks of benefits that I thought we'd already been over. And I mentioned 4 things, not 1. Also, you shouldn't be obsessing over list price of cars. I'm on my second EV, and I haven't paid close to list price to run them (PCP and PCH). You need to compare the full cost of ownership - I would call that everything, except insurance.
    Go ahead and pick on the list prices of two cars and call them expensive. There are plenty of examples of poor value cars. Here at MSE, we try to find good value ones. If you want an ioniq electric or eGolf, driveelectric are doing a good lease deal on them at the moment.
    There's nowhere for an ICE to go, of course.
    Benefits are relative to costs

An e Golf is better than a regular Golf in some ways and a regular Golf better in other ways

At the same price I'd probably buy the e Golf at 8k more the regular petrol golf is better for my needs and probably 95% of other customers too
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 24th Oct 19, 10:17 PM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    GreatApe
    I'm utterly astonished..

The degree I did back in the mid 1970s was modern history, so absolutely no technical background, but even thenI thought it not a long term solution to be burning fossil fuels. A great transitional technology, but we really should be moving along faster and we should have started earlier.

It seems that some on here on some similar threads think that short term capitalist profit making excuses all sorts of actions in lobbying and telling lies. I have absolutely no problem with profit, in spite of all those Marxist lecturers, but do with the fact that all the social losses are conveniently ignored in their P&L accounts.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle

Fossil fuels have net positive social benefits so the profit and loss would be a bigger profit if you included the social Benefits

Not least the benefits of natural gas having saved millions of lives and probably hundreds of millions of sick days (this is just in the UK more worldwide) by allowing the average person to be able to heat their homes to a decent level for the first time in human history

But of course the propaganda is just one way you don't hear about the millions of lives saved and extended by fossil fuels
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 24th Oct 19, 11:08 PM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    GreatApe
    You can't make a Tesla car with a petrol engine. ICE bits are different shapes and sizes. Thats why Tesla get more internal space out of the same external footprint as an ICE car. That's true for pretty much all the 'ground up' EV designs.
    Originally posted by ABrass

A model 3 is just a small sedan it's not a magic there are bigger class petrol cars

Here is a comparison of a Toyota Corolla Vs a model 3
    It's a $20k Vs $40k car (for the lower end versions for both)
    And I think the journalist is fair, sure the $40k car is better because well it costs twice as much
    Get the Tesla if the extra money is worth it for you, get the Toyota if you want Hassel free good reliable affordable car

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-versus-toyota-corolla-compared-photos-specs-features-2019-10

As I keep saying Tesla has a purpose
    A premium car just like expensive watches they have a market and a demand

For all non premium brands (80% of the market) they need their BEVs to be more or less same price as their oil cars. It makes no sense at all to pay 30k for a BEV Hyundai when the same model in petrol can be purchased for 20k. And it makes even less sense of you live in the USA where petrol costs 50p a litre

The fact remains Despite BEVs getting often quite huge government subsidies like $7,500 dollar sub in the US or 3.5k on the UK that oil cars vastly outsell BEVs. I hope BEVs improve and the cost comes down at current cost differential most consumers will/are opting for oil cars
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 24th Oct 19, 11:15 PM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Fossil fuels have net positive social benefits so the profit and loss would be a bigger profit if you included the social Benefits

Not least the benefits of natural gas having saved millions of lives and probably hundreds of millions of sick days (this is just in the UK more worldwide) by allowing the average person to be able to heat their homes to a decent level for the first time in human history

But of course the propaganda is just one way you don't hear about the millions of lives saved and extended by fossil fuels
    Originally posted by GreatApe

This is one of the obvious direct visual and easy to understand benefits of fossil fuels

There are also many indirect benefits

Fossil fuels enabled mass electrification which saved countless lives and improved health and wellbeing

Electrification enabled the true industrial revolution of the 1940-1970 period in the west (1990-2030 period is electrification of the middle income countries like China India turkey south America etc). This mass production of goods made life easier and allowed more resources to be spent on healthcare pensions social care etc

Fossil fuels were and still are a massive massive enabler of wealth health and security

But like most things there will be a time when they are replaced as new tech takes over
    This transmission will likely take 100 years and arguably we can say it started 2000 and will complete around 2100 if advanced AI comes then this 100 year transition can be done in 50 years or maybe less.

We are not going to throw away our health and wellbeing by banning fossil fuels before their time

And it makes no sense to pretend fossil fuels were a net negative in the past or are today when clearly they saved humanity for death destruction poverty and I'll health
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 25th Oct 19, 8:36 AM
    • 9,660 Posts
    • 14,553 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Originally posted by ABrass
    Absolutely true. Also look to the safety ratings of the Tesla's. The front is designed to buckle, fold and collapse, and whilst your shopping in the frunk might get squished, it means that there is no engine block trying to say hello to the front seat occupants, hence loads of protection.

Only GA would suggest taking the best BEV's on the road, that are already cheaper (TCO terms) than an ICEV, and adding an ICE!!!!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 25th Oct 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 3,248 Thanks
    JKenH
    Absolutely true. Also look to the safety ratings of the Tesla's. The front is designed to buckle, fold and collapse, and whilst your shopping in the frunk might get squished, it means that there is no engine block trying to say hello to the front seat occupants, hence loads of protection.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    No petrol fires either. I once arrived on the scene of an accident where a car was on fire and the driver trapped by his legs perished.

Still I hear Teslas are prone to other fires.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs )
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 25th Oct 19, 9:07 AM
    • 9,660 Posts
    • 14,553 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    No petrol fires either. I once arrived on the scene of an accident where a car was on fire and the driver trapped by his legs perished.

Still I hear Teslas are prone to other fires.
    Originally posted by JKenH
    Nope, prone is untrue. Their fire rate is far less than that of an ICE.

What you may be referring to are some high publicity stories about Tesla fires, part of the FUD campaign, you might say. One, as I recall, several years back made for massive coverage being a new car, but on further inspection the cause was found to be the bullet that the occupant had fired into the floor (battery compartment)!

Sadly, whilst almost every individual Tesla fire gets enormous coverage, other marques get very little, like last years massive recall of 100's of thousands of BMW's.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • joefizz
    • By joefizz 25th Oct 19, 10:03 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    joefizz

When you mean ICE I think you mean petrol.... i.e. not diesel... ;-)
    I always thought one the main source of fires in a front crash was brake fluid hitting the hot parts of the engine... ..certainly in all the cars Ive owned that was the only safety recall to fit a rubber stopper to the brake line to stop it rubbing and potentially spilling onto the engine... ...could well be urban myth though.

Leaving the whole shale oil industry ponzi funded by cheap credit thing aside and whilst projections are that oil prices will go down in a global recession, at some point in the next 10 years they are going to go through the roof and perhaps only come down after the move away from fossil fuelled cars, boats etc.

Ive mentioned Ive changed my mind about Tesla but Ive also mentioned that I see difficulty for them next year. If they survive next year, then great...
    Ive been in a model 3 in the US and here in the UK and I have taken exception to people comparing them with BMW, Audi (as much as I hate the marques) and Alfas etc. They arent. Not by a long shot. Ive never been in a Dacia but thats what sprang to mind when opening the fuel flap on an early Tesla 3 in the US. cheap, plastic crap. However the iphone generation are used to cheap plastic crap dressed up (well since Steve Jobs demise anyway).
    So no, the comparison with mid range cars is just in terms of size and money, in terms of what you get for that money then no, not in a million years. Comparing Tesla 3s with 20 grand mid sized cars in terms of quality is probably a better comparison (although the Tesla 3s here are better quality than the US one - which was early I admit).
    You really cant compare 45 grand german/italian/japanese cars with a Tesla because they arent even in the same ballpark.
    Anecdotally the people I know with Tesla 3s here in the UK have migrated from much more expensive ICE cars. Most had put their names down early hoping that production would never ramp up in time and they would get a discounted model S. (had a look the other day and the company model Ss 2nd hand are cheaper than Model 3s, free supercharging, no road tax, now theres a bargain!)

The Tesla 3 attracts the nerdy people with tech degrees like me. Go on to the forums and its like the apple cult, every negative is painted like a positive. If you are not used to that sort of fan like behaviour then its going to get really old really quickly. But thats not Teslas market, there are enough nerdy tech people like me with more money than sense to buy up Teslas production line for the next couple of years. Thats where I see them doing really well, provided they get the pricing right and sort out the recall issues, although that has more to do with product lifecycle than any particular marque (Ive had cars in the dealers more in their first year than the next 6 years). As I mention elsewhere software doesnt fix stuff, GIGO and whilst you can add spotify over the air and please the masses, thats not to say something cool and nerdy wont have safety ramifications down the line when real people get to play with it. The over the air updates will be a gamechanger in terms of cars though and about time.

Things like the sentry mode will be industry standard and might make car thieves wear masks from now on... well until the software for recognising gait kicks in and starts doing pre-crime ;-)

Its about progression though and the clientelle going forward. Im of the generation where a good solid click switch or nice clunk sound from the door show build quality as opposed to one morning turning your car on with an app, getting in and seeing overnight you have your spotify account installed, online, logged in and playing the last track you played yesterday on your iphone. Cooollll....
    (thats not to say I wasnt sold a pup as well with the idea of nice click buttons being a watchword for quality)

It is the future though... but I wouldnt put my money on it ;-)
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 25th Oct 19, 11:33 AM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    GreatApe

Only GA would suggest taking the best BEV's on the road, that are already cheaper (TCO terms) than an ICEV, and adding an ICE!!!!

Plenty of new cars have 5 star safety rating it's not unique to Tesla

Plus Not that many cars end their life with a high speed front on collision
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 25th Oct 19, 11:40 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 3,248 Thanks
    JKenH

What you may be referring to are some high publicity stories about Tesla fires, part of the FUD campaign, you might say. One, as I recall, several years back made for massive coverage being a new car, but on further inspection the cause was found to be the bullet that the occupant had fired into the floor (battery compartment)!

Sadly, whilst almost every individual Tesla fire gets enormous coverage, other marques get very little, like last years massive recall of 100's of thousands of BMW's.

Lawyers for the family of a man who died in a fiery Tesla Model S crash are calling the vehicle a 'death trap' in a lawsuit against the company

https://apple.news/AQXQRlpW2SSyTM4duDGRNyQ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter