Single and in debt.

Options

Comments

• Mupeteer
    Mupeteer Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi and welcome, I've just recently become single and it is hard to cope with all the debt, but at least you are well on your way. Keep going.:T
    Reality check - hit rock bottom on 15 Dec 2008 with unsecured debts of £29,136 and not enough money to live on

:j NOW DEBT FREE!!!! :j
    :oI try to take life one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once :o
  • PrincessPeach_2
    Options
    Hi Sarah and everyone else.

I'm single too - 31 and in debt and nothing to show for it but a large shoe collection.

I sometimes wish there was someone to share the problems with - though recently have decided that I can do it.

I want to get my own place as soon as possible and thats become my driving force.

So dont worry you're not alone. xx
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Hi Sarah and everyone else.

I want to get my own place as soon as possible and thats become my driving force.

that's like me, hence my Avator pic,

we will get there

xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • sarahb123_3
    sarahb123_3 Posts: 2,767 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your replies! It's nice to have people to talk to and so much moral support. Would love this to be a support thread for others in the same position to swap advice/shoulder to cry on/support, so anyone who's single and struggling please feel free to post, all comments very welcome! Today I have paid my £10 lottery win into my ISA, have a small amount of savings for emergencies, every little helps! Am determined to get my own home by 40, can't stand renting anymore. I know I am lucky not to have a partner dragging me further into debt, but the grass is always greener ...! Can be quite lonely at times. Thanks to all who replied, you have made me feel so much better today:A
    Pay/save £20k in 2010 £5888.75/£20,000
    June Mini target 0/5lbs Total 23/40
    Ebay profit 2010: March £207:) April £95:) May £130:) June £0 Total £432:j
  • KTjazz
    KTjazz Posts: 688 Forumite
    Options
    hello!

I'm in a slightly different place. I am not single really. I have a great boyfriend who happens to be awful with cash (but getting much better of late I think). However, he doesn't live with me so all my bills are my own too.

I'm 25 and got my flat at the end of last year. Getting it in a livable state is why I'm in debt so completely different situations.

I'm going to do it all on my own too (cause I'm stubbourn that way)

so, can we change the thread to "single in a bill paying sense"? or is that too much of a mouthful... hee hee!

Anyway, i just wanted to drop by and say hello.

KTjazz
    :hello: - Proud to be dealing with my debts!:j DFW nerd No. 1011!
    I'm back, and this time I mean business!
    If you need to talk to someone confidentially call Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or email jo@samaritans.org
    My heart knows me better than I know myself so I'm going to let it do all the talking.
  • sarahb123_3
    Options
    Hi KTjazz! Thanks for your reply. Well done for getting your own home already! I know what you mean about being stubborn, am too set in my own ways sometimes! Have spent too long on my own I think. Might keep the thread name the same so others can find it, but are very welcome to join in, we can count you as single in a financial sense!
  • runmichellerun
    Options
    I'm single and in debt! I'm 28 (nearly 29) and rent a lovely little place. I have about £6,000 of 'real' debt plus a stupid student loan. There's no way I'm getting on the property ladder anytime soon because my priority isn't to settle, it's to clear off my real debts and then save to travel the world. Once I come home from that, then I might save for a deposit on a house. So I'll probably be 40 before I'm on the property ladder!
    LBM February 2008. DFD March 2013 19 August 2011
    Debt at LBM £14,395.48. Debt Now £0
  • sarahb123_3
    Options
    Hi runmichellerun, thanks for posting. I still have my student debt as well, they are such a nuisance! My priority is a house at the moment, but need to get everything cleared before I can start saving for that. You have done really well on your credit card already! I will be at least 40 before I am on the property ladder as well, won't be able to go travellling first though, am v jealous!
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    crikey just when I was beginning to think I was the only single 30 something woman left in the world! there are loads of us!

excellent thread idea sarah

night all xxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • very_silly_and_scared
    Options
    Morning all...

Sarah, you have started something here!

I still have my student loans too. I have done the travelling bit and as I said resigned myself to forgetting the house and probably even the car.... Not too bothered at the moment, my number 1 priority is clearing the debts.

The obvious thing to bring up on this thread is Sex and the City...what I want to know is how on earth did Carrie have THAT wardrobe with just a lowly newspaper column to pay for it?! Think I am partially guilty of (stereotypically again) living the 'Cosmo' lifestyle on a babycham income...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure