Should Ricky kick off about pocketed cash?

Options

Comments

• roboticpink
    Options
    Absolutely he should complain! It isn't the shop assistant's money to keep. It should be handed in and made accountable for, in case the customer who lost it came back.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't know what the intentions of the store worker are at the point. Ok it doesn't look well but they might be intending to hand it in and have gone on autopilot and put it in their pocket in the meantime.
    I wouldn't exactly 'complain' but I would inform a senior member of staff who may then decide to wait and see what happens.
    If that person is dishonest, they need weeding out.
    PS Well done to the assistant who chased after me in M&S Leeds yesterday after I left a note in the self check out!
  • susanados
    Options
    I work on selfserve also and think he should go to customer service and tell them what time, which operator and which checkout. We have a policy where if a customer leaves money a form is filled in and filed in case the customer realises his loss and returns. It may well be that the operator has intended to do a similar process and although not appearing to be busy there is a lot to do on selfserve. Been there myself and you're not supposed to leave your position on selfserve. Another alternative is to ask the operator if the customer had returned to collect his money and test the reaction, if guilty they probably won't do it again!
  • purplegaily
    purplegaily Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2009 at 9:42AM
    Options
    I used to work in a pub, and found what I thought was some paper on the floor. Imagine my shock when i picked it up, and saw a beautiful £50 (yes £50) note in my hand.

I handed it to my boss, as I was of the mind that noone would walk away from a note that big going missing, and asked what he would do if noone collected it. He - with a big smile - said that he'd split it with me the following week if it was unclaimed.

Yeah right - never saw that money again, and as I was only part way through my shift, knew for a fact that it was not collocted by the time i left that night.

I'm the sort of person that picks pennies up off the floor, and pitches them into the nearest charity pot I can find, £10 would have been nice, but if I had pocketed it, and the rightful owner had come back - yup - stealing, lost job etc. Hand it in, and get a receipt off customer services advise them that if unclaimed, you don't want it, and put it in the charity pot.

Money saving yes, taking the cash - no.
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • Skyhigh
    Skyhigh Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Strangely familiar - I had this issue with the Tesco Metro store in Leeds a few months ago.

There was a fiver in the tray, and although I could have picked it up myself - the till attendant was already heading over.
    So I handed it over.

He pocketed it.

I emailed Tesco to ask what their Policy was on 'found money' - where does it go? Seeing as it's not theirs.

Do they donate it to charity? Do they look at when the money was found, the last transaction number....and if there was a Clubcard ID to match it to someone?

Never heard anything. Cheers Tesco.
  • purplegaily
    Options
    Skyhigh wrote: »
    Do they donate it to charity? Do they look at when the money was found, the last transaction number....and if there was a Clubcard ID to match it to someone?

Skyhigh,

they can do club card matching, as I've had product recalls sent to me because I've used my Club Card to buy items that have subsequently had to be returned. They watch what you buy, but I'm sure it doesn't work both ways.........
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • snootyjim
    Options
    I probably wouldn't say anything at all.

When I worked in a shop, if someone handed me a note I wouldn't have thought anything of putting it in my pocket so that I could continue to serve/help customers as necessary and then drop it off downstairs at the earliest convenience. If there was no-one else on the shop floor, I wouldn't be able to tell them that I was looking after it until I could take it to the office - so it would be impossible to tell whether I was stealing it or not.

Had I been accused of theft in those circumstances I would've been fairly angry at the suggestion... so no, without proof I wouldn't make any accusations.
  • spotbot
    Options
    Hand it in & ask for proof that you have or you could inform the customer service that you've found it & are handing it in to the Police Station, those who say keep it & say "Finders keepers" are as dodgy as Fagin,remember one day it could be your £5 or worse your Mum's or your Gran's, also I find that what goes around comes around & if your dishonest it tends to bite you in the bum & yes it is dishonest & not luck,so you may find a £5 but then may lose a £20 of your own & I wonder would you want someone to hand that in????
  • emgormley
    Options
    It serves him right for handing it in!!

If he wants to waste time making a complaint then it is his problem, he is unlikely to get the money for himself in the end.

Even if the worker had not pocketed it - it will only go down as a 'gain' for the supermarket, as they will not be able to trace the previous customer.
  • hamzramz
    Options
    If I was Ricky I would file report, but to be moral, not over a tenner. If it had been a wad of notes or someone's bank card, the sad truth may be that the assistant would have pocketed that too, actions have consequences.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure