I've been Money Tipped!
edited 11 August 2021 at 12:47PM in Mobiles

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheap Pay-as-you-go Sims guide

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Comments

• Trekillo
    Options
    Unable to acquire credit on the My3 web page (the site hangs when I tried to make a payment with two different credit cards). When I phone the My3 0800 number, I found it only accepts voucher cards. I will have to go to a Three shop, where only >£10 can be bought. So, the £5 option - which I would prefer - is effectively not available!
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2017 at 12:22PM
    Options
    It would be useful to explain that inclusive calls cover
    - geographic numbers starting 01 & 02, except numbers allocated in CI & IoM,
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03,
    - mobile numbers starting 071-075 & 077-079, except numbers allocated in CI & IoM.

Inclusive allowances do not cover calls to premium rate numbers starting 070, 076, 084, 087, 09 or 118, nor do they cover calls to mobile shortcodes.

Calls to numbers starting 080 and 116 are free-to-caller.

Inclusive text allowances cover messages sent to geographic and mobile numbers, as above.

Inclusive allowances do not cover text messages sent to mobile shortcodes.

You can't send text messages to non-geographic numbers starting 03, 08 or 09.

Inclusive allowances do not cover sending MMS or messages with emojies and smilies.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Trekillo wrote: »
    Unable to acquire credit on the My3 web page (the site hangs when I tried to make a payment with two different credit cards). When I phone the My3 0800 number, I found it only accepts voucher cards. I will have to go to a Three shop, where only >£10 can be bought. So, the £5 option - which I would prefer - is effectively not available!

Is it a fault? Have you considered phoning 333 for help?

The online top up system definitely accepts cards under normal circumstances as I've topped up a number of sims with both debit and credit cards.
    ====
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Trekillo wrote: »

I've just topped up a Three sim with £5 using My3. Worked first time with a Visa card...
    ====
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes. I made a £5 top up to a new 3 SIM earlier this afternoon. All went through OK.

Not sure what to suggest if you are experiencing an issue.
  • mrsplinter
    Options
    Last week I signed up with Plusnet mobile for their £10 a month 4GB deal for their broadband customers. The data halved if you left Plusnet broadband.

Yesterday I saw in the MSE article that they now offer this deal to non-broadband customers. I called customer services this morning and they are moving me to this deal at the end of the month. Which I am happy about, means I don't lose half of my data if I leave Plusnet.

Previously I was with iD which use the 3 network. Plusnet uses the EE network which is faster and has better overall coverage in my area.
  • BoxerRules
    Options
    I'm surprised there is no mention of "1pmobile" ( a simple search finds them ), who offer a SIM deal of 1p/minute+1p/text+1p/MB both in UK and abroad, and no credit expiry. For a low-user ( for phone calls) like me this is perfect, and I might even change my '3' SIM in my tablet, used mainly for data, here and in Europe.
    You do have to use the EE network, but compared to my previous Orange ( i.e. EE ) rate plan, this 1pmobile is heaps better. I can confirm I have no link to or interest in 1pmobile except as a customer who was a bit apprehensive about changing but is now convinced.
  • SpanishBlue
    SpanishBlue Posts: 593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    BoxerRules wrote: »
    I'm surprised there is no mention of "1pmobile" ( a simple search finds them ), who offer a SIM deal of 1p/minute+1p/text+1p/MB both in UK and abroad, and no credit expiry. For a low-user ( for phone calls) like me this is perfect, and I might even change my '3' SIM in my tablet, used mainly for data, here and in Europe.
    You do have to use the EE network, but compared to my previous Orange ( i.e. EE ) rate plan, this 1pmobile is heaps better. I can confirm I have no link to or interest in 1pmobile except as a customer who was a bit apprehensive about changing but is now convinced.

1pMobile are great for many people, but not for very low users as you need to top up with £10 every 4 months to keep your credit alive.

However, for anyone who makes the equivalent of around 250 minutes worth of calls a month, they could well work out the cheapest option.
  • BoxerRules
    Options
    The topup comment is valid, but they do offer an autotopup facility to automatically add,say,£10 every 120 days with any outstanding credit carried forward, so you won't lose it.Your phone use pattern will determine whether this works for you over the year. So far it seems to be working for me and offers me the best deal I could find. ( Repeat of no link to or interest in 1pmobile etc...)
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/best-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards?_ga=2.208109332.707210636.1499719230-2093267359.1495378859
    BoxerRules wrote: »
    Concur-bit of an oversite by MSE :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure