Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• bondibeach
    Options
    My wife and I had a ten hour delay returning from Ibiza in September 2012. I have gone through the due process of claiming but Thomas Cook deny liability. I therefore wrote to the Spanish CAA who confirmed the airline is liable and should pay me compensation (they copied TC with their letter to me). I have since written twice to Thomas Cook for them to pay me but have not even had the courtesy of a reply. What do you suggest my next course of action should be? I assume the small claims court but can anyone advise me of the process and their charges.
    Thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bondibeach: have a look at the thread "Taking the airlines to court" - the first few pages have some useful links.
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    Hi barman 44 our flight was TCX0159 on 6th September 2011. We have sent form B180 off and now need any advice we can get defence will be posted tomorrow once ive got scanner working. Thanks all
  • bondibeach
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Bondibeach: have a look at the thread "Taking the airlines to court" - the first few pages have some useful links.
    Thanks Vauban, I'll give it a try. If succesful, I too will buy a nice hat.:beer:
  • maggiejr
    Options
    or information : I am taking Thomas Court to the Small Claims Court for a flight delay. They asked for a stay while awaiting the result of the appeal in Huzar v Jet 2. I refused. I have just had a letter from my local County Court stating that the District Judge has considered the papers in the case without a hearing and decided that it must be transferred to Liverpool where the District Judge is coordinating the making of directions of claims of this nature. I live right down in the south of England so will be asking that this will be overturned. However, I have one day left to do this otherwise I will be out of time. Anybody else had this?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 January 2014 at 6:01PM
    Options
    maggiejr wrote: »
    . However, I have one day left to do this otherwise I will be out of time. Anybody else had this?

Yes there is a guy on a Monarch flight in the same boat but he lives fairly local. He has posted on the FB page >

https://www.facebook.com/MonarchComplaints

plus Bott & Co have mentioned the Liverpool judge (Woodburn I recall) who has taken a personal interest in Huzar/extraordinary circumstances.
  • maggiejr
    maggiejr Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2014 at 5:26PM
    Options
    Thanks for that. Yes, District Judge Woodburn has been mentioned. I am going to try to get this overturned but we'll see. I have no idea how to go about this but I'd better find out by Monday or bang goes my claim!
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maggiejr wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Yes, District Judge Woodburn has been mentioned. I am going to try to get this overturned but we'll see. I have no idea how to go about this but I'd better find out by Monday or bang goes my claim!

I'm not sure that your claim would go "bang" to be honest, and there might be some advantage in having an experienced judge decide the case. A Litigant in Person doesn't have to be present at the hearing, I think, and so long as your paperwork is good (skeleton argument and bundle) then - unless someone more informed contradicts me - it doesn't make winning your case impossible.

Someone like Coby Benson or Socrates should be able to offer a quick view.
  • maggiejr
    Options
    Thanks for this Vaubin. I just assumed that I would have to be present in Liverpool. On reflection I may just let this go ahead and just provide the paperwork. What you are saying makes sense and I would make sure that the paperwork is spot on. After all, frankly I won't have anything more to say once it's all written down. I will approach Coby Benson and Socrates and see if they will be kind enough to offer a view. Thanks again for your input.
  • Our flight to turkey was delayed by 6 hrs, sent an email to Thomas cook advising them of this, received a voucher for £692 for 2 people within 10 days. Happy days:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure