PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi rachelmk..

im like you..at the moment cutting down through choice -well that and knowing there are more interesting things we could be doing with the money -rather than just eating it... but now im almost starting to see it as a dummy run for when we have to come back to the UK ..the prices seem to be spiraling up n up...
    still at least im getting loads of practice in making things go further.. growing what i can so when we DO come back i should have it down to a fine art :rotfl:

For your lunches -have you tried making your own bagels? really easy and gorgeous too ;) or what about tortillas...again easy to make and really cheap :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • FelineFantastic
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »

For your lunches -have you tried making your own bagels? really easy and gorgeous too ;) or what about tortillas...again easy to make and really cheap :D

Mrs M do you have a bagel recipe for us to try- I hope its fairly idiot proof!

RachelMK if you have eggs how about a crustless flan for lunches? Or i have dinner leftovers sometimes or make my own soup or tuna pasta salad or whatever and pasta salad depending on your freezer-- sorry I have lunch everyday and have a sandwich phobia! :rolleyes:

Need to update siggie- am aiming for no more needed this first week after veggie delivery tomorrow and have meal planned for all of July now- we have some comings and goings after that so it will be a bit more up and down and I want to save while I can *feels viruous*

Does anyone know if you can get the Frontline for cats without a prescription and if its cheaper?
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • isthatreduced
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It has been difficult keeping track this month,as my first order from Asda came without a delivery note ,and it took over two weeks to sort out,along with errors they had made such as delivering skimmed milk instead of semi-skimmed.

Plus I popped in to Asda(something I rarely do)to buy stationary for DD who has started 3rd year at high School and I bought some reduced bits and lost the receipt(twice lol),but I did use MOC:T which helped.

Luckily DD didn't notice the skimmed in her cereal so I didn't have to buy more from the local overpriced shop and Asda eventually refunded me along with other mistakes they had made.( I am currently mixing the skimmed milk with whole milk to use it up)

I am going to Asda to pick up DD glasses from the optition and intend to buy some stuff for next month such as the milk while it is still on offer and other things I can't get online so I will add that to next months budget ,but I think I will be able to get next months down a good bit with all the bulk buying I have been doing in the hope of staving off some price increases.

I bought about 6kg of Smart price rice at 45p a kg(it has gone back up to 90p) I previously only bought Asda Basmati but it is now £3.60 for 2kg:eek:

I tried the SP rice years ago and didn't like it because much of the grains were broken but I now find it better quality.

I don't expect to buy any more this month other than some stuff for DD school trip to Alton Towers (it's a long Journey from Just outside Glasgow)
    so I need to get her enough to keep her going.

Wishing everyone well.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Options
    Hi feeline

Here you go... it does sound like a lot of faff..but they are quick enough to do and i reckon they are the best bagels i have ever had..plus you can eat them untoasted -unlike the shop ones....and they freeze brilliantly :T
    You can leave the onions n poppy seeds out if you want..i added those to the original recipe as they are my fave:p
    bagels -makes 8
    1. 1 cup warm water
    2. 1 tbs soft butter
    3. 1tsp sugar
    4. 3tsp salt
    5. 3 cups white bread flour
    6. 1 1/2 tsp yeast..... i used 20g of fresh
    7. 1tbs poppy seeds
    8. 2 tbsp fried onions (the crispy ones in tubs for salads)
    • tip the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre
    • mix the fresh yeast, sugar and water and pour into the well add the butter (if using dried yeast -tip into flour but don't add the salt until you are kneading in the seeds n onions;) )
    • mix to form a soft dough
    • tip in the onions and poppy seeds
    • and knead to combine
    • leave to prove until double in size
    • cut into 8 pieces..mine were about 90g
    • roll into a sausage -about 9" - form into a ring and pinch the edges together (I formed mine around a barts spice bottle to get even-ish sizes;) ) and some folks have dampened the ends with water to help them stick
    • place on a greased baking sheet -or on a silicone liner, cover loosely with oiled cling film or a split carrier bag and leave to prove for 20 mins
    • bring a pan of water to the boil, pop 2-3 bagles into the pan and cook for 1 min -turning half way through...they do swell slightly
    • lift out and gently shake to remove water
    • place on silicone liner /oiled baking sheet and when all done place in a preheated oven -200c/400f/gas 6 and bake for about 15-20 mins (you can glaze -before baking if you like with 1 egg yolk and 1tbs water mixed)
    • remove onto cooling rack and cool
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to MrsM and FF!
    Tuna pasta salad is a fab idea as I have a glut of dried pasta, sweetcorn, tins of tuna, mayo and some kidney beans that could juggled together to make a big pot of something edible that even I could manage to do!
    Unfortunately I don't have any eggs and won't use all of them before my travels so maybe its a false economy for me to buy them:confused:

You guys are truly brilliant!!
    Think I'll only end up spending less than a fiver this weekend to see me through to next weekend and the new budget. Cheers!:beer:
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FelineFantastic they sell Frontline at Pets at Home £12.99 for 3 * 0.5ml, not sure how much it is at the vets these days.

I used to buy this but I now get flea tablets, think they are made by Johnson's. you get about 6 in a pack and they cost around £8.00. I find them more effective than the Frontline drops and you don't get the cats spending hours trying to lick the drops off. Although they do start to scratch for a few hours.

HTH
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• FelineFantastic
    Options
    Thanks Shala_Moo- where do you get the tablets from? I have to say that sometimes we have to Frontline one of the cats at 3 weeks instead of 4 because he cleans himself too much so if these work better then that may be a good idea.

Thanks MrsMC-- am going to try these- I love onion bagels- they are my favourite- and it doesn't seem that much of a faff- may say differently if the kitchen looks a tip afterwards tho! Do you oil the clingfilm with olive or veggie oil?

RachelMK- I also do my pasta salad with mixed bean salad- tinned about 40p places as an alternative-- I do mixed bean and pea risotto too with this as it makes a veggie change! I also use soya beans sometimes as they taste fab and are filling:D
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Options
    Ok just a quick one...

My fruit and coconut concoction loaf is out of the oven(and i managed not to over cook the sultanas sticking out :T can't stand burnt fruit) and its cooled -well just enough to cut ;) .... terrible really as that crust has just vanished:whistle: with a smear of rhubarb n strawberry jam mmmmmmmm ...well thats my lunch for today :p

fruitncoconutys3.th.jpg
    Feline..forgot to say that i don't waste cling film..I split a carrier bag and use it like a tent over them..and you don't have to oil it that way either :D
  • chocolateteddy
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can get the Frontline for cats without a prescription and if its cheaper?

You can buy frontline without a prescription but if you want frontline combo you will need to ask vet for a prescription (free of charge) The combo one stops the eggs hatching and keeps house clear as well the normal forntline just kills the fleas on cat. I buy all mine online thanks to a forum on here (try putting cheap pet resciprions in forums search at top of page-should come up with it)
    I use www.vetuk.co.uk as when I ordered they were the cheapest but that will give you an idea of cost some charge p&p (for frontline I think it was free or very low) but they were quick for my cat food
    HTH
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    MrsM that loaf looks lush! It's got me itching to get downstairs and bake something so I can have a nice warm crust from a freshly baked loaf :) But I'm working from home today and don't think the boss will appreciate me baking instead of doing the work they're paying me to do!!!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure