edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 211.1K views

Replies

• mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Guy's,
    just to let you know, Tesco's also sell Allinsons dried yeast in a small tin with a plastic lid (125g) for 99p - works out cheaper than the sachets and is easier to keep sealed and weigh out.
    (don't know if any of the others sell it, I presume they will, might be worth a look!)
    HLH's,
    Denise
    I use the Dove's Farm instant yeast which Mr T also sells in 125g pk/ 99p. It usually keeps for the month and I use it every day, ideal for the BM as no proving which I think you have to do with the Allinson one.
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 22)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mama67 wrote: »
    I use the Dove's Farm instant yeast which Mr T also sells in 125g pk/ 99p. It usually keeps for the month and I use it every day, ideal for the BM as no proving which I think you have to do with the Allinson one.

thanks Mama67 , yes, I have just found this out...:rolleyes: takes me a while but I get there in the end... :rotfl:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    fertyskids wrote: »

went to asda last night, didn't need meals but still spent £40. cat food.. shreddies.. bread by the ton we eat 2 loaves a day inc pack lunches. yoghurts again we eat loads in packed lunches and little ones for puddings.

Have you ever thought about getting a yogurt maker? I got the Easiyo one last month - half price from Julian Graves - and it's never been out of use yet! My little one is 18 months and loves yogurt and it's saving us a fortune. My DH eats it by the ton now too instead of icecream. You can get little branded tubs to take it to lunch as well but any little tubs with lids will do.

The branded yogurt mixes are about £1.99 but I think you can make your own with milk to be extra MS...

I've just been experimenting and make some "yoghurt cheese" by straining the yoghurt, really creamy, like Philadelphia. Just a thought...

Ellie

You can also buy the branded mixes here and here.

HTH someone
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 22)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, been quite hectic with DS's birthday yesterday. Thankfully there had been a separate budget for cake stuff ;) .
    All in all we have spent £1.25 yesterday - on a full priced warburtons loaf as we forgot to take one out of the freezer/make one and we both wanted crisp sarnies! Spent £2.37 today, on 1L full cream milk and 3 cartons of capri sun (the big ones which are normally at least 80p here were only 49p so got two for DH to take away this weekend and one for me to drink)- does that mean the local shop charged me 90p for 1L milk :eek: ? I only bought 1L as we have some that will do today and also to make enough porridge for DS for a while. As DH away this weekend me and DS between us will not use that much, as DS still bf at night.
    Hope everyone is ok.
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • cookinmummycookinmummy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Hiya,

I need some suggestions guys - I have a pack of Toulouse sausages and a large carton of double cream that need using by today - so does anyone have any recipe ideas for my tea??? I was thinking maybe something with pasta...............

TIA :D
  • TrigglesTriggles Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    I haven't posted much this month, as we've just moved and are surrounded by chaos! I'm not sure how we're even doing for grocery money as I haven't sat down and added up the receipts. Next month I think we're going to do the cash in envelopes, so I know exactly at a glance how much I've spent! I tried using cash (keeping in wallet) this month, but amid all the upheaval I'm feeling a bit scattered. I keep using my bankcard in the store, just out of habit. Then thinking "aarrrgh" :mad: I meant to use my grocery cash!! I also don't know where the local Lidl's store is here, although I do know there is one! Have to find it, as I believe it's fairly close by!

We bought mushroom tortellini the other day at the store, as it was greatly reduced, and popped it in the freezer. It was the bagged fresh pasta stuff. Now I've got to figure out how to cook it and what with. :confused: Forcing myself to try something new. :eek:

I've made chicken stock twice this month, and forgot to store it. I'm quite angry with myself. The first time, we had a household crisis that distracted me, and then last night, I wasn't feeling well and fell asleep. I didn't remember it until I got up this morning! :mad: Both times, I turned off the cooker to let the stock cool, and ended up with a pot of cold stock in the morning, which I wasn't comfortable using as it had been out all night. I think I'm going to have to set an alarm so I don't forget to go pop it into containers once it has cooled. Embarrassing!
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    fertyskids wrote: »
    spent £10 today in co -op was disgsuted at their prices i brought oil, marg, eggs and some baby foood to last a couple of days in the caravan. wont be going there again in a hurry. i do like the fact that they are a co-operative and are good for organic etc but just cant afford their prices.
    Hi there,
    :eek: Where I live we have local shops, a Lidl (only been here a couple of years), a Somerfield that is turning into Tesco (is closed right now) and 3 Coops of varying size and price!!! I am finding that I am doing most of my shopping in Lidl and the local shops, COOP is good quality but a lot of things can be expensive, esp in the smaller branches! I have mixed feelings about Tesco but we will see what it is like when it comes. I have used it a lot on the mainland and used to come home with a car full of stuff! Fine when there is room but now we have DS he and his stuff take up lots of the available car space!
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • chocolateteddychocolateteddy Forumite
    509 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Anitaj73 wrote: »

My Aldi doesn't do bread flour and don't have a lidl :( i only have a co-op and MrS and delivery from MrT as we don't have one of those local either :eek: which of those bread flours could anyone recommend please??

I always use Tesco's as I found it made a lighter loaf and is same price as lidls at 48p. But if price goes up I'd quite happy to buy lidl
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• greentgreent Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anitaj73 wrote: »
    My Aldi doesn't do bread flour and don't have a lidl :( i only have a co-op and MrS and delivery from MrT as we don't have one of those local either :eek: which of those bread flours could anyone recommend please??

Anita xx

My Aldi doesn't do bread flour either :-(

Having tried lots of flours this month (S, A, T, Dove, Lidl & All) from your choices I'd personally choose Mr S & then Mr T - both were the same price earlier this month (48p 1.5kg) - but it is only down to personal preference - my friend uses T and makes much better bread with it than I do!:rotfl: I use a mix of 1/3rd Lidl and 2/3rd Dove now - find it makes yummy bread which everyone in this house will eat.

Hope you're fully recovered from tonsillitis now!

GT
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £267.31/£500 Decluttering 2021: 750/1000
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Hello!
    Am feeling pleased but panicky at the same time!
    We booked our holiday last night - just a week in Portugal but well needed and very looked forward to - and now have to pay for it! Had £370 in savings for it and it came to £450 so I need to claw back £80 from somewhere to stop it using overdraft/credit card/other savings.

I have done an inventory of the cupboards and freezer and have quite a few meals I can conjure up if I try cooking for a change but its the lunch time stuff that I'll hav eto part with some cash for. I usually take fruit and a bagel/sandwich to work with me but I'm down to about half a bag of apples and nothing else now! I'm only in the office for 3 days next week so will try to be creative for those few days because if I go to Mr T's for just a few bits and pieces I'll end up spending more than I want to and impulse buying.

My month ends next Friday/Saturday so I should be within target if I only go to the little greengrocers for a little bit of veg to put in my concocotions for the week.
    My new budget starts on Saturday 28th and its a 5 week month but I'm on holiday for a week so only need to cater for 4 weeks.
    I'm really going to try to spend just £20 a week on groceries for those 4 weeks to have a frugal month - will have to be a bit more inventive!

Is anybody else feeling a bit panicky with all of the money warnings on the news this week? Its a bit unnecessary for me really as I have the cash to survive (not loaded but trying to economise to pay off debts more quickly) but I think I'm joining in with the hysteria!

Must calm down!!!:o
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals