MSE's Cheap Energy Club: Discuss & feedback

Options

Comments

• brizzleben
    Options
    to Petefromsandurst and JonB: regarding FITs: if your electricity was supplied by one of the big six when your system was installed you will have had no option but to register with them for the FIT. Thereafter, that arrangement is completely separate from that for supply so you can switch supplier as you wish. As Pete says, the FIT is the same wherever you go although at one time Utility Warehouse were paying 2p over as an incentive to switch, hope that helps
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Very good service. I was due to do my comparison anyway but this tool was very helpful in telling me my current tarriff has an exit penalty of £70 (only for 1 more month) and I could save £41 per year and get £70 cashback. So if i switch next month it will save me a combined £71.

I did notice one thing that needs attention. There was a tick box above the T&C tickbox and it said something like 'moneysavingexpert can contact you with future news' or something. It didnt actually specify whether ticking the box would sign you up or out of that.

Overall good work. I've shared it on Facebook so others can use the tool too
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • seanhalley
    Options
    Thanks MSE, this is a step toward helping us. But I feel that the biggest frustration and injustice for consumers is the length of tariff.

18 months or 24 months is just too long, and too late if you realise a couple of months in that you're overpaying.

What we need is for the regulator to step in and allow us to change tariffs with a 2 month notice period and NO early leaving fees.

Until then it's a lottery. A lottery that comes round every 18 months.

Anyone agree?
  • ernie-money
    Options
    I love the idea, it's an excellent service, but I'm not sure if the result I am getting is right...
    When I input the number of units we use in the gas consumption box, everything matches with my monthly payments and annual cost, but if I type in kwh, which it asks for, then the results are out by nearly £200 and about £15 on the monthly payments. What should I be typing in..?
    Also, the tariff I'm on - EDF energy Blue + price promise September 2013, doesn't carry any exit penalties, but it shows up that I would get charged £70 for switching...
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • waynefaunt
    Options
    Like a number of correspondents, my comparison showed Spark energy producing the best savings compared to my current BG dual-fuel deal. The forecast £398 reduction compares to a 'next best' saving of £120 (Co-Op energy) which is quite a difference.

However when I try to check the Spark tariffs on their web site it just dumps me back to the home screen and (today at least) a banner apology "a few of our customers have received a letter saying that a visit is being made to their home as their account had not been paid. If you have received this letter, or if you receive this letter in the next couple of days please completely disregard it."

If you doubted the feedback people are providing on this company a look at their own (poor) website might provide the only reinforcement you need to decide not to change!

How about a health warning on your tariff comparisons MSE, say where the feedback score is 2/5 or less?
  • meerustar
    meerustar Posts: 8,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2013 at 1:33PM
    Options
    For some reason I cant get any results. When I press to enter my details, I'm just taken back up the page :(

Edit - It works if I put in I currently pay monthly direct debit, but I don't, I use a prepayment meter, and won't work with that option.

Says I can save £310 a year, but with Spark who don't have the best reviews. I've never changed Gas and Electric before, so biding my time with this one
  • pops272
    Options
    I have just switched to a fixed rate with Scottish Power through the club which I think is excellent. Can someone tell me does this mean when it is active I can use as much gas and electric as I want?
  • welshee
    welshee Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pops272 wrote: »
    I have just switched to a fixed rate with Scottish Power through the club which I think is excellent. Can someone tell me does this mean when it is active I can use as much gas and electric as I want?

No its does not.
    It means that you will pay the same rate per unit for the time fixed...hence use a 1000 units times by 1000...10,000 units times by 10,000.
    Shame it was not explained properly to you.
    I would try and cancel before it get to far ahead and then study a bit more detail before jumping in.
  • pops272
    Options
    Thanks for that.
    Of course it means the rate is fixed, silly me. I have a period where I can change my mind but the calculations I entered still seem to make it cheaper but I will look into it further.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I almost signed up but it wants my address and I don't know why. Is it going to bombard with me spam in the post or sell my details? At the side it says "why we need your address" and expalins it by saying it needs the postcode. A postcode is not the whole address so explanation not relevant. So.. why do you need the whole address?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure