SOUTH WEST WATER Increse

Options

Comments

• Zaksmummy
    Options
    I have a 4 bedroom end terrace house, with 2 toilets. My household consist of 3 adults and 2 children. My water bill from last Feb to this Feb (actual reads beginning to end) was £297, total units used 55. I am with South West Water

It can be done. (think it helps having 2 teenage boys who despise water :rotfl:)

My neighbour down the road has just had a water meter installed, he lives in a small 2 bedroom house with just him and his wife, last years waters rates cost him just under a thousand pounds for the year, now thats what I call shocking :eek:
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    Changed to a meter almost a year ago and the cost has dropped from £980 pa to about £360. Having said this we recycle all our water, share the very occasional bath, use rainwater for the toilet, etc., so very little savings to be made.What annoys me is we have no choice about the supplier, and neither do we get a discount for sending our own readings/being online etc.3 adults in family
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 February 2011 at 4:05PM
    Options
    We moved to Devon last year and yes we were shocked at our 1st metered water bill, £178 for 3 months :eek: our monthly repayments were set at £78 per month, we have since learned to watch our usage. Bought 2 water butts and that water we use to flush the loo. Our last 3 monthly bill was £50, so it can be done. I dont rush any more to use the washing machine, dont wash my hair everyday anymore etc.
    On the plus side our house insurance is lower and car insurance and it is a very beautifull place to live.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got a meter? If not get one and then use water efficiently and you should pay considerably less.

The issue we have with SWW is the water price isn't to bad, its the swerage cost that keeps us in poverty, you have that on top of your water meter charge.
  • kathie1101
    Options
    My current bill with South West water is about £820 a year:eek: dreading the coming year's bill dropping through the letter box. Wouldn't mind if I lived in a mansion but it's a 3 bed detached! We aren't metered though, and as I have no idea how much water we use I have no idea if we would be better off being metered. Suspect we wouldn't as shower is usually on couple times a day, plus I like to have a deep bath most days (find it really helps my illness - eases pain & comfort) - but unlikely to be accepted as a reason for the social tariff.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Switch to a meter then. It will cost you nothing, and if it turns out more expensive then you can just revert to RV billing as long as you do so within 12 months of installation.
    My mother is on SWW and her annual bill dropped by 70% after installing a meter. Depends on your usage obviously and how many in your house.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Zaksmummy
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What macman said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

kathie1101 wrote: »
    My current bill with South West water is about £820 a year:eek: dreading the coming year's bill dropping through the letter box. Wouldn't mind if I lived in a mansion but it's a 3 bed detached! We aren't metered though, and as I have no idea how much water we use I have no idea if we would be better off being metered. Suspect we wouldn't as shower is usually on couple times a day, plus I like to have a deep bath most days (find it really helps my illness - eases pain & comfort) - but unlikely to be accepted as a reason for the social tariff.

Forgot to mention that my son has an 8ft round swimming pool which we filled at least 3 times last year and that we have a shower bath which is quite big at one end and we have baths quite alot, but we bath share too.:D It's all a question of self educating to economise water usage in your house I'm afraid.
  • kathie1101
    Options
    Yep I think I am going to have to seriously consider a meter - which I don't think will go down too well with the rest of the house - think they are sick of me as it is with trying to cut back on gas, electric, food & everything else - think I am going to earn the name of Scrooge lol!:D
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Our RV water on band A Council Tax has just come in at £906.26 PA....8% rise on last year bills
  • Zaksmummy
    Zaksmummy Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Our RV water on band A Council Tax has just come in at £906.26 PA....8% rise on last year bills

and the reason you are not on a water meter is .......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure