What vehicles can be driven on the road just on a car driving licence?

Options
Looking at the rear of my licence the categories that have dates in them are as follows:

AM
A
B1
B
fkpq

and that is it.

I'd like to check whether I can drive a JCB on the road based on my licence. Looking at the JCB website I think the one I'm asking about looks most like TM320 AGRI (sorry you'll have to search that on Google as I can't post links) although looking at the JCB site if you navigate to Products>Telescopic Wheel Loaders it looks a lot like any of the last few and I'm reasonably sure the numbering starts with a 3 although not 100% sure without checking.

I have taken no separate test for this machine. The person who delivered it to site showed everyone the controls and we had 5 minutes or so use in it with him to show we were competent in use. This was all on private land which the public do use. This has been the extent of any training I have had related to this machine.

I have been on courses for small fork lift trucks although which look similar to but not exactly like [again you'll have to search on Google for fork lift and post a picture here as I can't link - but it's a fork lift without a boom, 4 wheels). Exactly what qualification this course gave us I couldn't honestly tell you as I've never seen the certificate, if there was one. I think it was just a refresher course if I remember correctly. This was done within the past few years.

I contacted the DVLA probably about 8-9 years ago now about a JCB we had at the time and asked whether I could use it on the road (use it as in drive it). Their reply was very wishy-washy. It wasn't a yes or no but my understanding from their response was that it was a no. Unfortunately I binned their reply a few years ago when I was sorting a load of paperwork out so I can't say word-for-word what their answer was.

If it matters any then there are no 'forks' on the JCB in question, it is a bucket as appears to be attached in TM320AGRI on the JCB site. The bucket is detachable although we currently do not have any other attachment for the JCB so the bucket remains on at all times.

The bucket does 'boom out'.

I'm looking to find out as my employer was wanting me to take this on the road and I am not confident that I can legally do this.
I got the strong impression they took this as me being difficult. They seemed upset and said of course I can drive it on the road, but then this is coming from someone who told me I can drive a 7.5 ton vehicle on the road around where we are based and I know I can't do that one so I don't automatically believe I can drive this JCB on the road either.

Other employees do this as "it's only down the road" and "nothing will happen so it's alright" and so this puts me in a difficult position as it makes me appear awkward.

At the end of the day all I want to do is be legal with it so if I can legally take this on the road then great and i'll go ahead but if I can't then I can't. Everything works on the machine, all the lights, brakes etc. It's only a few years old.

Right now I'm just not 100% sure if I can so I'm just looking to find out.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just trying to give as much info as I can think of in case any of it matters.

Sorry for the lack of the links but as a new member here I can't post any.

Comments

• Insert_Nut
    Options
    I'm not sure to be honest.

I see references to diggers and while we do refer to our machine as a 'digger' I have had discussions with people from other companies in the past and their view of a 'digger' was different to mine (though they had been on a ton of courses for various equipment & machinery). So in short I don't know if our machine is actually 'a digger'.

The Drivers and Vehicle Licencing Agency classify diggers or digging machines in the following way:-
    • vehicles which are limited to travel on public roads only for the purpose of proceeding to/from sites - used for trench digging or any kind of excavating or shovelling work eg vehicles with digging buckets/shovels
    Driving an exempted goods vehicle is determined by its weight. Vehicles with a maximum authorised mass weighing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes may be driven at age 18 years. Vehicles which weigh more than 7.5 tonnes can be driven from the age of 21 years.
    Though we do use ours for shovelling sand/stone and then loading vehicles with it so I guess from this it is classified as 'a digger'.

I'm not sure of the vehicles weight but from a hazy memory I think it's about 8.50ton so from reading that link it would suggest that I can actually drive the machine on the road as I am older than 21 anyway.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Citb stuff has no legal bearing. And the NHBC even less so. Pretty sure this can be driven on a class b as can even bigger rubber ducks. But if not happy don't do it. Base this refusal on not be qualified and competent, with the onus on competent. Speak to your health and safety dept.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask JCB what licence category it is in.
  • Insert_Nut
    Options
    Scrapit wrote: »
    Citb stuff has no legal bearing. And the NHBC even less so. Pretty sure this can be driven on a class b as can even bigger rubber ducks. But if not happy don't do it. Base this refusal on not be qualified and competent, with the onus on competent. Speak to your health and safety dept.
    The boss technically is the health and safety dept. The boss is the whole shebang really. Everyone carries out the orders.

It's also not really about refusing because if I'm legal then there's no reason for me to not do it as it has ended up as part of the job.
    I'm not sure I am qualified - because like I said, I've never been on a course for this kind of machine, no certificates to my knowledge. Unless we did some one-size-fits-all course that applies. I have however been driving machines like this for around 15 years now so I'm very competent. It's all been on site though.

I should stress that I'm not doing this looking in to it thing to try and avoid doing this. My only aim is to determine whether I am legal or not. If I am then there's no problem.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Insert_Nut wrote: »
    The boss technically is the health and safety dept. The boss is the whole shebang really. Everyone carries out the orders.

It's also not really about refusing because if I'm legal then there's no reason for me to not do it as it has ended up as part of the job.
    I'm not sure I am qualified - because like I said, I've never been on a course for this kind of machine, no certificates to my knowledge. Unless we did some one-size-fits-all course that applies. I have however been driving machines like this for around 15 years now so I'm very competent. It's all been on site though.

I should stress that I'm not doing this looking in to it thing to try and avoid doing this. My only aim is to determine whether I am legal or not. If I am then there's no problem.
    Well no. It's sounds like you don't have a suitable and sufficient risk assessment. If you have had suitable training you would know, it's a several days worth of course. Legal or other wise there would still be a big problem under the health and safety at work act. Sounds very bodgit and scarper.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Category f allows you to drive an agricultural tractor, which I suspect would be the JCB’s classification. As above, call JCB and ask them.

Also bear in mind that would simply allow you to drive from A to B on the road. Actually using the JCB for its intended purpose rais3s other H and S issues: again, as mentioned above.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, can't help with the road licence issue, but for Health and safety at work purposes, you need to have suitable and sufficient training for the type of vehicle, separate to any driving license you hold. Generally, that would mean specific training for the type of lift truck. If, for example, you've had training on counter balance trucks, that doesn't mean you are trained to use a telly handler. There is no legal requirement to have a 'lift truck driver license' for working on site - just suitable training. If your employer has any sense, that training should be documented. The benefit of a lift truck licence, for the specific type of truck, is that it is proof of suitable training, as opposed to some vague training your employer might point to.
    At the end of the day, if you do have an accident, then worst case scenario, you and the employer might end up being locked up, so worth crossing those t's and dotting those i's. Of course, the company might just end up with a fine, and you get the prison sentence.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the telehandler have a license plate? If so it can be driven on the road provided it is insured for use on a highway. Using a machine that is not plated is a grey area. You used to be able to run non plated machines short distances on public highways like dumpers etc. if you were carying material back to a stockpile but I have to confess I dont know the law regarding this but I do know that most dumpers now have license plates
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure