PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NoMoneyHoney_2
    Options
    Sorry I am late to the thread, but put me down for £150 please.

So far:

1/11 -NSD
    2/11 - £12.21

Today I haven't spent but I want something to drink with my food so I probably will.
    Dec GC - budget £150 spend £7.62
    0 NSD's!!! :T

Nov GC - budget £150 spend £113.93
    With 12 NSD's!!! :T
  • Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I cleared otu the salad box in the fridge before and found a punnet of tomatoes which I got for 10p which were all soft, but not mouldy so I made some tomato, red onion and chilli relish. Have put it in jars so don't know what it will be like yet - here is the recipe:

500g tomatoes
    1 medium red onion
    pinch of dried chilli flakes
    8fl oz balsamic vinegar (I used half balsamic and half light malt)
    4 tbs sugar
    clove of garlic
    salt and pepper (I used about a flat tsp of salt and same of pepper)

You just blitz the tomatoes (no need to skin or de-seed), onion and garlic in the food processor and then put in a pan with the sugar, chilli, salt and pepper and vinegar and bring to the boil. Once at boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours before putting in sterilised jars. This made 2 jam sized jars for me. Smells amazing!

Thanks for that RS, I'll definitely be giving that a try soon!:) Don't have a food processor but I'm hoping a good going over with a hand blender would do the job?
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi as far as i am aware if food is frozen and u defrost it and cook it u can them refreeze it....so the sausage thing should be fine....im not sure about yorkshires...i have heard u can eat then like a pudding with golden syrup and cream...hth
    onwards and upwards
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another visit to Mr T today to stock up on more N*ture V*alley bars. Now have six months supply :rotfl: Won't get any more as BBD is sept next year and I'm sure there will be another half price promo before I run out of stocks.

I was really pleased because I picked up 3 packs of sirloin steak which were on offer at 7.99 per kg but further reduced as use by date is tomorrow. One will do for dinner tomorrow night and 2 have gone in the freezer. My three packs cost me £1.75, £1.79 and £1.69. :j

I don't think I will need a home delivery shop on Saturday and will see if I can make do. I'm tempted not to include the bars that I have stocked up on in my budget for this month but instead cost them as and when they get eaten. I have spent £42.84 on them (double that if not on half price :eek:) - thats a lot out of my budget.....

Still meal planning Trying to use up what I have/make do. Can't make up mind what to set budget at for this month so will ponder this a bit more and be back to report soon.
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Another visit to Mr T today to stock up on more N*ture V*alley bars. Now have six months supply :rotfl: Won't get any more as BBD is sept next year and I'm sure there will be another half price promo before I run out of stocks.

I was really pleased because I picked up 3 packs of sirloin steak which were on offer at 7.99 per kg but further reduced as use by date is tomorrow. One will do for dinner tomorrow night and 2 have gone in the freezer. My three packs cost me £1.75, £1.79 and £1.69. :j

I don't think I will need a home delivery shop on Saturday and will see if I can make do. I'm tempted not to include the bars that I have stocked up on in my budget for this month but instead cost them as and when they get eaten. I have spent £42.84 on them (double that if not on half price :eek:) - thats a lot out of my budget.....

Still meal planning Trying to use up what I have/make do. Can't make up mind what to set budget at for this month so will ponder this a bit more and be back to report soon.

Your not by any chance mr x stitch that was on kirties programme the other day are you? sorry couldnt help notice your sig and put 2 and 2 together and made 200 lol?

Anyway another 11.31 spend in mr t's as i was doing my promo work, needed some breaded or buns, was determined to get it whoopsied which i did, along with some scones, then i saw there halloween goo balls and have to have them they are sooooo good! yum, having meatballs today, which have been in my slow cooker, just waiting for the cheese to defrost, then will make some spaghetti, yummy!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Mr Ts today and found some 4p slippers for OH, some Lounge pants for 4p and 1p toystory bag. Got scampi B1G2F 3.99 Tesco finest sausages 3 packs for £6 so 6 meals for the month for £10ish. B1G2F crisps, milk, couple of deserts, broccoli with a free cauliflower, whoopsie mushrooms for chicken (leftover), pie tomorrow, popped into wilkies and picked up bits for halloween next year at 75% off, Marks and spencer for this weeks special offer two xmas puds 1/2 price £3 each one for me one for Sis. So not a bad day but cant spend much more this week so am going to try to live out of the fridge and freezer now till next week UNLESS any unresistable bargains pop up !!!
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your not by any chance mr x stitch that was on kirties programme the other day are you? sorry couldnt help notice your sig and put 2 and 2 together and made 200 lol?

Anyway another 11.31 spend in mr t's as i was doing my promo work, needed some breaded or buns, was determined to get it whoopsied which i did, along with some scones, then i saw there halloween goo balls and have to have them they are sooooo good! yum, having meatballs today, which have been in my slow cooker, just waiting for the cheese to defrost, then will make some spaghetti, yummy!

Hello :wave: no it wasn't me on kirstie's homemade home (or whatever its called?) Good show though isn't it :T I have only seen episode 1. (other stacked up to watch :T) Do you think when she was baking all the cakes that it was solely her own work or do you think she had help??

Thinking now of going to online supermarket and doing virtual shop and working out meal budget from that. Back soon / much later ??!!
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well my new month starts tomorrow as I get paid. I havent done as well in the last 4 weeks and the previous but I will try harder this month, although Im going on a short self catering break in a couple of weeks with DD1 and DGD so I will try to be as careful as I can, at least we wont be eating out much.

RS I will definitely be tryin the chutney/relish its sounds so easy and I have a glut of toms that need eating up, just got to find some jars.
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Okey dokey,

That was a good way to spend some money! :naughty:

I ended up not doing very much around the house but got enthralled by the prepping for winter thread this morning. I still had to go and get the nuts sorted on the car and I did make a list for D*n*lm M*ll. I plumped for the black out linings for the curtains in the end as the thermal ones were much thinner and lighter so for £3 more I thought I'd get the thicker ones. I just hope the curtain rail will be able to take the strain and weight lol! Also got a higher tog quilt for my ks bed, a new mattress cover, some desperately needed drinking glasses, and a small halogen heater (only £9.99!!!) for emergencies should our ch decide to break down over Christmas (or anytime in winter) as it tends to do.

Then I went W*ck*s and got an insulated cover for my outside tap, insulation for a pipe that froze last year and some spare fuses. Topped it all off with a quick trip to L*dl for a windscreen cover to keep the ice off and picked up milk, butter and loo rolls. The last three are the only ones that go on my GC budget thankfully. Milk was a great buy at only a quid for 4 pints. Sig is updated.

I also spent time this morning doing a list to go to MrT but thankfully time ran out! :rotfl: I really do hate that particular store so was grateful for the clock for a change. Now I just have to work out the best way to get the things on my list without visiting a store. Hmm, I may just do an online now but stop once it hits £50 and then get the rest after work tomorrow. That way I think I'll get two 5p off petrol vouchers. Hmmm :think:

My DD is on her way back from a trip this evening and I have to go and pick her up so I can't relax as usual. But hey, I spent a lot of the day reading threads what do I need to relax for, lol.

I may well be back later while I wait for my lovely girl - well lady now but always will be my girl. :rotfl:

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • poppy-glos
    Options
    hi all, went to l@dl for 4 things today (£8 ish) and came out having spent £32! the good news is that my fridge is now bursting with a rainbow of salad and veg, a freerange chicken, and i have added spares to the storecupboard!

I have been trying hard to use up my stores and empty the fridge, but the urge to hoard is too strong. To balance it all, nothing 'new' is going in the cupboard, i have a box in the spare room i am adding the 'new' storecupboard stuff to. This morning i emptied the fridge all excep half a pot of yellow sticker korma sauce, so thats the good news...

So this weeks meal planning involves the new contents of the fridge, the contents of the freezer, and the existing stores..
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure