November 2011 - Grocery Challenge - Page 38

New Post Advanced Search

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

edited 26 October 2011 at 6:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 90.5K views

Replies

• tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi....im off on the firework hunt today and need to buy some food for the do we are planning...think i might do a chilli but thats as far as i have planned...need to get my thinking cap on

got spag bol for tea and might do some garlic bread....need to pick up some salad to go with it....i need to start using up some things from my over flowing cupboard so will check out the store cupboard thread for good ideas

have a nice day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • ChasingButterfliesChasingButterflies Forumite
    945 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I had my 1st NSD yesterday - purely by accident :rotfl: but it still counts!

Day before we needed crusty bread and DH came home with 3 bars of galaxy for me (they were on offer so I couldn't shout too much!) so another £4.30 for the total.

I am trying to figure out if I can be bothered hearding everyone up to Co*tco tonight (takes just under an hour to get there) but would mean giving the kids a quick supper instead of a proper supper iyswim and it is Friday so they might be tired (and a bit crabby!) I seem to have no energy atm :(

Off for a cup for rocket fuel & will write a shopping list at the same time - have a good day everyone :)
  • sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Updates from me.

2nd and 3rd were NSD's but spent £5.54 today on kitchen foil and a large jar of mayonnaise :eek:. I have tried cheaper foil but found that it rips too easily and no other mayonnaise tastes like hellmanns (tried lots of others but they end up getting binned).
    I should not need anything for a few days now, as long as the milk lasts.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • edited 4 November 2011 at 10:39AM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 November 2011 at 10:39AM
    recovering spendaholic, I've added your Tomato, red onion and chilli relish to the recipe list ;)
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Hello no it wasn't me on kirstie's homemade home (or whatever its called?) … Do you think when she was baking all the cakes that it was solely her own work or do you think she had help?? ...

I believe she did all her baking for the competition from scratch, at one point in the programme she itemised what she was making the day before and on the morning; we have a thread which I'd hoped would be a good discussion on the crafts she does and how to go about them but, like the one on her previous series, it keeps getting derailed by people who obviously hate her :D I'm not a great fan myself tbh but I'm enjoying the series
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Morning all

Budgets done to here - welcome and Hi to all our new people

I'm starting to loose control of our spending which is not good as we're not flush!!! Going to do the accounts at the weekend and sort it all out - doesn't help when work don't pay you the right money and I'm owed about £60 from them and its money we need - feel a rant coming on!!!!

Have a good day everyone

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • i'd like to put £100 again please!!
    i managed to beat my target last month! :D

xx

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • Don't know if this will help anyone but Tesco have got 3 for 2 on all home baking stuff and jam/peanut butter/sweet spreads. I bought a load of bread flour as I now make all my own bread and have ordered an online shop for next wednesday.

Eveie
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
  • I've just added £5.02 that I spent in MrT Xprs earlier on bread & sandwich meat, forgot I have to feed the ds's tonight though so will need to go back in there later to grab something for them. Good job I have to go back to chemist anyway which is opposite, so I'm not going down just for that. So far still only a fraction over £90 for this week which means I'm well on track for the £520 this month.
    Clean credit file:12 mths
    Car loan: FREE! :j
    THE PLAN: 1.Pay off debt £8808.42(£3254.45, £1570.32, £2698.33, £0:dance:, £1000, £285.32) 2.Save monthly for Christmas/insurance etc £150 per month 3.Save for emergencies /£1500 4.Save for our B&B £????depends which one takes our fancy :D
  • edited 4 November 2011 at 12:15PM
    angelatgracelandangelatgraceland Forumite
    3.3K posts
    edited 4 November 2011 at 12:15PM
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    My first proper supermarket visit of the new month and I spent £23.23

I stuck to my list and even left one item on the shelf when I saw that the price has jumped 30 pence? in just a couple of weeks (aubergine).

I mainly bought the N*ture V*lley bars that were on BOGOF. 14 boxes ! which is 3 months supply :j I'm tempted to buy more before the offer finishes on the 8th !!
    Well if you are addicted to them and can ration them out Id get another 3 months supply while on bogof! Thats a great saving on something you buy weekly.
    sls1365 wrote: »
    I aimed to not have a takeaway in November, and I failed on the 2nd!!

I have a friend who has terminal cancer and I went round to see her with my 10 year old daughter and the friend "just fancied a Chinese" - so I bought one for us. :eek:

Ok - new goal - no MORE takeaways in Nov. Sigh!
    Aww thats not a fail! do you have a budgt for entertainment or gifts? Id call it a gift in the circumstances. don't be so hard on yourself! That is friendship as quoted before and its a good thing!
    Thanks for the tip Ceirdwyn! I have looked online and will probably get one, but I am still humming and haaing about whether or not I will use it!!

I am thinking of making Christmas cakes as gifts and wondered if anyone has ever used the Tesco Value dried mixed fruit? It is soooo much cheaper but I don't want to get it if it might be false economy.

Looking at what you are cooking I think you would indeed use a slowcooker as all of thos meals would cook well in one.
    I only ever buy value mixed fruit whether Tesco Asda or whatever! If the more expensive ones look "plumper fruits" just remember that its extra fluid in the fruit so no loss. I have cooked with more expensive stuff if given it or its been reduced massively but Ive not found any difference.
    sistercas wrote: »
    spiggle liking the 'nuclear core' :D

back from a!di and t3sco spent £36 and £51 respectively , think ive got everything for the week for everybody . picked up a whoopsied aromatic duck and pancakes for £1.75 - its something the teens love but i cant normally afford it , so they will really pleased with that tonight :)

need to meal plan ( i know i should have meal planned before i went shopping ) but this way i know i can plan more easily around the stuff i have bought IYSWIM

I do it that way too as its the cheapest way unless you are using up what you have of course-probably why my freezer is always overfilled!

I was in pocket yesteday as I returned some cat food sachets to Waitrose as the cat just licks off the jelly and leaves the meat! Bought some fabric softener with the proceeds as dd is gwtting fussy about the smell of me using soapnuts in the wash! It was on offer and will last the year tho the way I use it! So I am £7.38 up!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    tesco have there value dried fruit on 3 for 2 at the mo aswell i give the kids this in pots instead of boxes of rasins they love it :) theres loads of value stuff on 3 for 2 at the mo like jam,peanutbutter,flour ect so i'll be stocking up next week

i need milk so i might go tonight or tomorrow i'll see how things go i need to collect something from next anyway, dinner tonight is homemade burgers (using my burger press from amazon that i've yet to use) with mash and beans
    OCT GC £196.12/£200