PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flapjacks

Options

Comments

• taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hello All

Just made a batch of these biscuits, which I make VERY often, as they 'hide' lots of good stuff I find difficult to get into at least one of my children...thought someone might like the recipe - ideal for lunch boxes as well as after school snack:-

8oz oats
    6 oz butter or margerine
    2 to 3 oz sugar (depending on how sweet you like things)
    2 oz dessicated or shredded coconut
    1 good handful of crushed cornflakes (ideal way of using up the powdery bits at the bottom of the box)
    1 heaped tablespoon of wheatgerm
    1 heaped tablespoon of crushed seeds (I use a mix of linseed, sunflower, sesame and poppy...I grind a potful at a time and keep in fridge for easy use)

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave, add everything and stir well, press down into lined flat tin, cook at 190 deg for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending how brown and crispy you like them).

Very easy to make when you've got time and then leave them until you put the oven on for dinner before cooking.

Eat and enjoy! :j
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yum gonna definitely try them ,thanks :)
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Why not add the receipe to the OS index.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • taurusgb
    Options
    Ummm....how do I do this please?....H-E-L-P !!!!!! :confused:
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Just go to the old style index and follow the instructions. CLICK HERE
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • taurusgb
    Options
    Oh..OH..Ohhhhhh!!!...I think I did it, I managed to post it on the recipe board.... (passes out on the spot with shock)
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    Options
    :j
    taurusgb wrote:
    Healthy Flapjack type biscuits (dead easy!)

Just made a batch of these biscuits, which I make VERY often, as they 'hide' lots of good stuff I find difficult to get into at least one of my children...thought someone might like the recipe - ideal for lunch boxes as well as after school snack:-

8oz oats
    6 oz butter or margerine
    2 to 3 oz sugar (depending on how sweet you like things)
    2 oz dessicated or shredded coconut
    1 good handful of crushed cornflakes (ideal way of using up the powdery bits at the bottom of the box)
    1 heaped tablespoon of wheatgerm
    1 heaped tablespoon of crushed seeds (I use a mix of linseed, sunflower, sesame and poppy...I grind a potful at a time and keep in fridge for easy use)

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave, add everything and stir well, press down into lined flat tin, cook at 190 deg for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending how brown and crispy you like them).

Very easy to make when you've got time and then leave them until you put the oven on for dinner before cooking.

Eat and enjoy!
    Hello :hello:

I've just been off to make these with my daughter and the mixture seems a bit dry. Is this normal? (I always seem t produce crumbly flapjack so want to avoid this so its sitable for lunch boxes) will it set?

Thanks
  • taurusgb
    Options
    Hi
    Yes it is a bit dry when you put it in the tin...make sure you press it down well - but makes a lovely crisp biscuit when baked.
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    Options
    these are really really lovely. :j kids love em. :T I just added linseed this time but will try sneaking more stuff in at a later date. I'm more impressed that I was able to cut it without it breaking it (the last lot I made had to be eaten by the bowlfull.....with a spoon! :rotfl: so the quantities are just right) No more kit kats at lunch times.

Thanks a lot
  • Elljay_2
    Elljay_2 Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This sounds lovely but, sorry for asking where do you get the wheatgerm? Also, can you buy the seeds in smallish quantities? Aren't they expensive? I suppose it is well worth buying if they make lots of batches. Sorry for the sily questions. Don't want the initial outlay and then my lot don't like them.......all the more for ME!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure