PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well I seem to have ground to a halt lately as not actually had any time to declutter. But hoping to have a good go at the weekend. Having a new bed delivered on the 12th and some insane part of me is saying I need to sort out all my clothes, make up, etc that is littering the bedroom drawers and cupboards. Clothes have actually been kondoed twice in last couple of years but think I need to be more ruthless.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Elona - wonderful news and good on you for your restraint!! Mea culpa - a large bag of jamjars is leaving the homestead today via Freecycle. Including the two pretty shaped continental jars that held delicious cherries. Needless to say I still have a good stock but in my defence a marmalade making session is imminent!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    ((((((((((catshark88)))))))) take a deep breath, hun, you know you haven't pressurised her.
    From me too, thats got to be difficult for you.
    :o Is there anyone else who finds it really hard to part with jars? Particularly those with pretty printed lids/ embossed designs/ fancy shapes? I certainly do!
    Yes! Yes :eek:

The lids don't get me so much, but embossing and fancy shapes ... and I'm terrible at re-using too :( I've done a bit better this last year, and I'm going to have a huge go at dehydrating this year as things come into season, but I'm very much a WIP :o

:D Or my innate clutterhound nature might just get the better of me and I could get permission to sort something out. If there's funny news, I shall let you all know after the event.
    Love your tales, but no pressure - enjoy your visit :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, Catshark. The wrath of parents never stings less, whatever the age of the child. ( I know all too well😠😠😠😠)

Perhaps the advantage of being an adult when parents are being unreasonable, is that as an adult you can walk away. Literally leave the room. Go for a walk. Go for a drive. What are they going to do? Ground you? Dock pocket money? Lock away favourite toys? Perhaps that's all that can be done: just that little bit of head-space, as actually dealing with them is far too difficult, traumatic. But at least we can take a precious breather.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Dropped into the juntique shop for a cuppa this afternoon (managed to sell something to a passing stranger while there, just call me GQ, Shop Assistant at Large............).

Anyway, I stuck my head into the cellar and noticed The Graveyard of Dead Fan Heaters in a pile I'd not noticed before. Said items had been dragged from other parts of the cellar and put in one place by someone else.

The shop has no heating other than fan heaters. There are five at present; the one in use, the other one in supplementary use (this only functions if laid flat on its back, no one knows why) and the three in the cellar. One of those apparently works, but that is the one with the broken plug.

By it's faux wood finish, I reckon it to be a close cousin to a fan heater the 'rents owned in the 1970s. I may just put a new plug on it, although it'll reek of hot dust if it does work. Then the laid-back model can go the the appliance recycling centre - it rattles like a bronchial cement mixer, you've never heard the like.

Of the five fan heaters there are; one working (erratically), one working noisily and horizontally, one possibly working with a new plug and two definately deceased.

Pal's cellar is full of truck and clutter, although less full than it once was, thanks to my good offices. I think I will work on Fan Heater Mountain before I tackle the Fluroescent Tube Plantation of Doom, just because they're easier to handle. I might even drag them out of there one at a time, sling them in the bike basket and take 'em to the tip.

:D Either that, or we can clear one of the display cabinets and open a small museum dedicated to Domestic Appliances 1970-2018.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's another 2 bags of stuff to the charity shop, one more to go tomorrow! I'm kondoing with new motivation in case we have to move for any reason. I don't want to have to spend days packing up stuff so it's all getting stored in boxes so, if necessary, we just grab & go.

And FINALLY rid of an old sofa we no longer need so I now have space in my living room.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GQ I too find jars really difficult to part with. I do make jam and store things in them, but there are only so many jars one needs for those purposes. People who know I make jam also kondo their jars to me too. Just did jars etc last week so now have a manageable collection of decent ones and the rest went in the recycling.

Had to put my current CS bag into the spare room cupboard (otherwise empty so won’t get lost in there!) as MIL is round tonight and I was worried she’d find it... a lot of the unjoyful things in there have come from her so didn’t want her to see our decluttering efforts... she is obsessed with the shopping channels :o she will have forgotten all about the items but seeing them will remind her.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Dropped into the juntique shop for a cuppa this afternoon (managed to sell something to a passing stranger while there, just call me GQ, Shop Assistant at Large............).

Anyway, I stuck my head into the cellar and noticed The Graveyard of Dead Fan Heaters in a pile I'd not noticed before. Said items had been dragged from other parts of the cellar and put in one place by someone else.

The shop has no heating other than fan heaters. There are five at present; the one in use, the other one in supplementary use (this only functions if laid flat on its back, no one knows why) and the three in the cellar. One of those apparently works, but that is the one with the broken plug.

By it's faux wood finish, I reckon it to be a close cousin to a fan heater the 'rents owned in the 1970s. I may just put a new plug on it, although it'll reek of hot dust if it does work. Then the laid-back model can go the the appliance recycling centre - it rattles like a bronchial cement mixer, you've never heard the like.

Of the five fan heaters there are; one working (erratically), one working noisily and horizontally, one possibly working with a new plug and two definately deceased.

Pal's cellar is full of truck and clutter, although less full than it once was, thanks to my good offices. I think I will work on Fan Heater Mountain before I tackle the Fluroescent Tube Plantation of Doom, just because they're easier to handle. I might even drag them out of there one at a time, sling them in the bike basket and take 'em to the tip.

:D Either that, or we can clear one of the display cabinets and open a small museum dedicated to Domestic Appliances 1970-2018.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: love it, the tales from the shop are as good as tales from the homeland, you're an angel of tidying gq :A

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    fish books went to the charity bin today and lovely chest of drawers, that I won!!!8217;t have space for, plus a gorgeous wedding present vase went to a good friend.

The MK side of me may find it hard at times, but the minimalist side is loving the extra space. :) One bedroom contains only 4 wheelie cases and a blanket box!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Meant to say big congrats on your upcoming grandchild Elona :) you sound very sensitive to your daughter!!!8217;s needs too in not wanting to overwhelm them with clutter. I do find as a mum of a toddler that the gifted plastic carp is truly overwhelming at times xx
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure