Real life MMD: Too late to claim for wedding cheque?

Options

Comments

• JoannaS_3
    JoannaS_3 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    cazpost wrote: »
    I think you should frame it,and hang it somewhere prominent as a permanent reminder of your own idiocy. How can you get a present of such high value,and immediately forget what you have done with it ? As for asking for the money, I wouldn't even think about it .

Brilliant answer!! :idea:
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • Pandrea
    Pandrea Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If this happened with a friend's cheque, I would let it go (but be surprised that they didn't notice it wasn't cashed or at least asked what it was spent on - any wedding money/vouchers I've ever given, the recipient has always later told me what they used it for).

But this happened to me with a cheque from an old employer, which I found in a clear-out some seven years or so after it had been written. I couldn't for the life of me remember what had happened - I knew I would have been on a low income at the time and couldn't imagine I'd have let the money just go, but didn't recollect whether a new cheque was issued or how it had not been cashed right away.

As it happened I was still in touch with the employer from time to time and so I dropped into the office and explained, making sure that I told him it was possible a new cheque had been issued but asking if he had any way of checking his old accounts to see. He was a nice guy so then and there wrote me a new cheque without quibbling, which I appreciated very much.
  • Yvonnerj
    Options
    Its too late to ask for the money, but you should let your friend know what happened. I'd write them a letter, explaining how dippy I'd been, and that I wanted them to know there was no hidden agenda to not cashing the cheque. I'd make it very clear that their generous gift was appreciated, but that I didn't feel I deserved the money, and suggest that if they felt that they wanted to 'replace' the cheque in any way they should make a donation, of whatever size, to a charity of their choice.
    Hopefully you can laugh about it in years to come...
  • shehen23
    shehen23 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2011 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Actually, it may not be strictly true that the cheque is out of date.

My Dad was in a similar situation but in reverse. He paid for something using a cheque and the firm forgot to cash it and my Dad didn't notice. Over a year later they tried to pay it in but there was no longer money in the account to pay for it. The bank then contacted my Dad and asked him to place sufficient money in the account.

When he complained that the cheque was no longer valid they replied that as long as the intended recipient wished to claim the money then they would honour it within a reasonable length of time.
    Now, obviously I don't know how long this is, apparently it is at the discretion of the bank. So if you really need this money then it might be worth just trying to pay it in and see how it goes.
    All depends on your friends financial situation. If they are wealthy they might not even notice, seeing as they didn't appear to notice that it didn't leave their account in the first place. If they do then you would obviously have to explain yourself.
  • custard_monkey
    Options
    Look at it this way, it might help you put it in context:

If your friend had bought you a vase which cost £200 as a wedding gift 3 years ago and you had just knocked it over and broke it - would you then think you could ask them to replace it?
  • mikewill34
    mikewill34 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2011 at 4:12PM
    Options
    Hi All,

In 1986 sent one of my relative a cheque (on their birthday).
    Some years later (in 1995) it was debited from my HSBC account.

I went into my local branch to query why it had been cashed as I understood that there was a limit of 6 months on cheques.

The cashier replied to me that there is no limit on when cheques can be presented.

I don't know if that is still the case.

Regards
    Mike.
    Regards
    Mike Williams
  • petermasih
    Options
    Often banks don't even check the date on cheques. Unless I knew that my friend had fallen on hard times, I'd bank it and see what happens.
  • phonoplug
    Options
    We were in a similar situation - we were given a cheque for £50 from one of my wife's friends. When we came back from honeymoon there was a letter from the bank returning it to say it had bounced. We were fairly sure they would have been charged for bouncing it and that they would have received a letter from their bank telling then of it bouncing, so they knew what had happened.

Either it was a gift they couldn't afford to give or they were too embarrassed to send us a new cheque. Either way we wrote it off. It was not money we had spent out originally ie by loaning it to them, so we just left it.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want to be cheeky, you could speak to said friend and say something like "oh my word, you'll never guess what we came across today!" and see if they offer to give you another cheque.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do a thing.

You can't possibly present it now. The friend might not even bank with the same people, or they may not have enough money in their bank to cover it if the bank do allow it.

Put it down to experience and move on.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    Look at it this way, it might help you put it in context:

If your friend had bought you a vase which cost £200 as a wedding gift 3 years ago and you had just knocked it over and broke it - would you then think you could ask them to replace it?

Not the same thing at all, your example would cost the giver £400 in total as they would pay twice, in the dilema the cheque was never cashed so the giver didn't pay out the money they intended the reipient to have, they will only pay out if the cheque can be cashed late or if a new cheque is issued.

As the giver I might be a little offended if the cheque wasn't cashed as it would look like the gift was being rejected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure