All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Options

Comments

• Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely place to be , :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2018 at 10:27PM
    Options
    I'm back! Arrived home late this afternoon after a bit of a delay due to the rubbish weather in the south of England and spent a couple of hours unpacking, sorting washing and tidying round. I was expecting my family to arrive tomorrow to bring the dog back home but mum has decided that she wants to meet me halfway tomorrow afternoon instead. That suits me as, even though tomorrow will be a long drive in horrible traffic, I'll get the weekend to myself to get some things done and have a rest before going back to work properly on Monday.
    I'm working in the morning but should be able to leave by 1ish to set off. I don't expect to be back before 6.30 though....and that's in good traffic....so it will be a long day but worth it to get my pooch back, who by all accounts is fully recovered and according to mum "it's taken 5 years off him" :)

Had a lovely time in France and feel like I've done something with my holiday for a change rather than work. It did turn out to be quite an expensive trip in the end though with flights, half of the car hire, accommodation (wasn't expecting that but hey ho) and some spending money. It was all paid for out of the holiday account but I'll need to replenish that before the summer holiday. Good job today was pay day!

May was a very expensive month with extras including a final car payment (from savings), £400 vet bill, £178 for a new passport and the holiday.
    I've just spent an hour doing the finances and banking and need to be frugal in June if I want to build up the savings again ready for a summer trip.
    I've budgeted for all of the expected expenses and paid the bills and moved money into various savings accounts. I'm leaving myself with £250 spending money and £200 grocery money and cash for all of the other bits that will be needed (hairdresser, dog groomer etc) has been squirrelled away into another account so I don't spend it before I need to.
    Apart from Father's Day there are no events in June and I know what Dad wants so that's easily sorted and money has been put aside for that.

I have lots of things to do this weekend so I'm pleased that I'll get some time to do them - OH is visiting his son on Saturday so I'll have all day to get things sorted out.

One of those things is to work out my overtime owed and sort the claim form - that will go straight into the holiday account when paid. ;)
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    As its a new month tomorrow, I'm setting myself a few goals/challenges to try to keep me motivated.....

1. Run 3 times a week, totalling no less than 12km
    2. Lose 5lbs
    3. Have 20 alcohol free days (even one little glass of wine will count)
    4. Stick to spending and grocery budgets and make a note of spending
    5. Read three books
    6. Get the shower room revamp organised
    7. Batch cook at least once a week

Fingers crossed - need to have a healthy and frugal month to make up for the past couple of difficult ones where life took over and things got a bit manic!
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Morning all!
    Have started June well even though I had a rubbish nights sleep. Been for a quick run this morning as I won't have time later and will be stuck in the car all afternoon. Was my fastest run yet for the short 3km route but sweated buckets - it's sunny and humid.
    Have also weighed so I know where I'm starting from with the 5lbs off in June campaign.... I think I'm premenstrual though so may be a bit more bloated than I should be. Never mind, it that's the case I should lose it quickly ;) (fingers crossed anyway).

Right, better get in the shower and get ready for work - need to leave in 30 mins!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad you had a relaxing holiday...
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Finally flopped in the garden for half an hour before taking the dog to the park when it's a bit cooler. It took 6 hours to collect him but we're back now and he seems really well. A bit naughty if anything - nice to see him with a bit of life in him again.

Put £70 of diesel in and there's still three quarters of a tank left so hopefully that should see me through most of the month. Still haven't been to the supermarket so will pop into the little local Tesco on the way back from the park for bits for this evening and dog food.
    Other than that no spending today - trying to be good .....
    No big plans for this evening - will probably see OH later on (he's playing golf and won't be done until quite late).
    I have my first Saturday without an agenda or work tomorrow since almost xmas so will get a load of errands done in the morning whilst the dog has his hair cut. Quite looking forward to it!
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely 'free' Saturday
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Morning all!
    OH stayed over but was up early to go home to get ready to visit his son. As anticipated, I was premenstrual and feel much better and less bloated now things are in full swing so to speak ;)

The dog is finally getting his hair cut this morning - I think they'll just have to shear him like a sheep as he's so long but at least he'll be cooler and more comfortable, he's just not allowed anyone to touch him but seems much better now.
    Whilst he's getting his makeover, I'm going to get a few jobs done - get the leftover euros changed back to use as spending money for the coming week, do a grocery shop, look at bathrooms in wickes next door to aldi, get the car washed after its motorway journeys (lots of dead bugs on it) and possibly get a photograph taken for a new driving licence.

In addition to that lot, I need to cut the grass if it stays dry and Hoover and dust.

I don't think I'll run today as I've done 5 days in a row and it's running club tomorrow so will give my legs a rest :) will make do with some dog walks and pottering about instead.

Right, better get the pooch out for a shortish walk and get started with the day......
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Had a busy morning so far....
    Took the dog to his favourite park for a potter around, then went to the car wash (looks much better now), popped into the post office to change the euros back (got £50 ish back, that should last me the week as spending money) and then dropped the dog off at the groomers. Then went straight to Aldi for a stock up shop, had a quick look at bathrooms in Wickes (don't really know what I'm doing so will ask OH to come with me again, saw some nice ideas though) and came home to unpack the shopping. Done two loads of washing, cut the front lawn before it rains and then dusted and hoovered the whole house and cleaned the bathrooms. Need a little sit down now! Just waiting for the groomer to call so I can pick him up again.

Spent £54 in Aldi from a monthly budget of £200 - I needed lots of household cleaning and laundry things and vitamins etc so it was more than just food but it should all last a couple of weeks. I now have a fridge full of nice fresh food and no excuses not to eat healthily :)

Going to collect the dog, have some nice lunch and maybe watch a bit of catch up TV whilst the poor poochy has a sleep to recover from his traumatic morning. Will go for a walk later for a bit of fresh air and exercise but other than that no big plans - will probably be bored stiff by mid afternoon, I'm not used to having time to myself .....
  • mumblingtaff
    edited 3 June 2018 at 7:13AM
    Options
    Managed to accomplish one of my June goals today and batched cooked a quorn spaghetti bolognese for tea with two portions left over for the fridge or freezer. It's an attempt to eat more healthily after work when I'm tired and starving.
    Watched some catch up TV and took the dog for an hour long walk and cut the back garden grass too so all household jobs have now been completed.
    Been watching A Very English Scandal - I'm surprised at how good it is and how much I've enjoyed it - last one tomorrow evening. Also caught up on The Detectorists - very gentle subtle humour but very good.

Have also almost finished a book I was reading on holiday about achieving goals - sounds really dull but it's actually very good and quite inspiring. I'm also reading a crime thriller that's quite good. Should manage to get my "three books in June" books read at this rate :)
    I'm also listening to a new free Audible series called Six Degrees of Assasination. Have completed 3 of the 10 episodes whilst walking the dog - it's an easy listen and a bit of a political thriller. Wouldn't usually go for that sort of thing but it was free to download so I thought I'd give it a go and am enjoying it so far.

The plan for this evening is to watch an episode of The Handmaids Tale and have a fairly early night - running club in the morning.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure