All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Options

Comments

• mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all...
    Managed to get a vet appointment for 5pm and it's not very promising. I have to take him on Wednesday to be sedated as he wont let them look in his mouth properly. I'll drop him off and he'll be there all day. There's two trains of thought - it's a bad infection that needs cleaning, teeth extracting and general sorting out or it's a tumour..... :(
    Either way I have to sign a form saying that they can do whatever is necessary - if it's really bad they can't do anything without my further consent. Poor poochy - he's my child substitute and been with me for 14 years - let's hope it's not too bad.

I've just gone through the banking and it's not great but not dire - it's just over a week to pay day and if I'm careful I'll be ok (just) and not need to be overdrawn or use the credit card.
    Tried to pay the car bill but they're shut - thought it might have been an automated thing but sadly not. Need to try to remember to pay them tomorrow.

So extras I need to budget and pay for...
    1. Petrol to take the dog halfway to mums on the weekend (if he's ok, I'm not going away if he's not)
    2. £100 general cash for taxis, airport etc
    3. £70 spending money for the week before payday

There's also the vets bill but I'm not worrying about that until I know how much it is and whether it can be claimed on the insurance.

From payday onwards I need to be much more observant with regards to what I'm spending. The past few turbulent months have allowed me to really take my eye of the ball and just fritter money. I don't have an excuse anymore so now it's time to get a grip and be more careful. June and July need to be frugal if I want to have a good summer.

Anyway, that wasn't the most uplifting hour I've ever had so I just need to stick to budgets and ride it out - there's plenty of food in to last until Sunday when I go away, I will need to buy some toiletries to go to France but will squeeze the last dregs out of what I have until the weekend. I will need to buy food for the dog to take to mums but otherwise I don't need anything in particular (famous last words!).

I still need to pick up my prescription - must do this tomorrow or I'll run out of tablets. I also have a hair appointment on Thursday evening but the money for that is squirrelled away already.
    So, it's time to batten down the hatches (until pay day at least!! ) ;)
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Somehow last night my cold resurfaced and I was streaming with a raging headache all evening and went to bed early. I had thoughts of phoning in sick today but soldiered on and have felt better as the day went on. No time to be poorly!

Managed to get through to BMW today and pay the bill so that's all settled now. Left work at 4pm and had an hour in the garden before walking the dog when it was a bit cooler. Strangely, he's very perky today, when he has to go to the vets for his exploratory procedure tomorrow.
    Have also tidied the spare room, put dry washing away, cleaned the kitchen, done the bins and recycling and hoovered downstairs - so the house is clean and tidy and I have nothing much to do tonight.

There's nothing much on the telly so might have a bath and watch a bit of recorded telly and have an early night. 3 more days before half term .....
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope the waggly-tailed one gets on ok today MT x
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    MeandO wrote: »
    Hope the waggly-tailed one gets on ok today MT x

Thank you!
    I was a bit concerned when they didn't call for the whole day but apparently his operation was delayed as the one before him took longer than anticipated . But, the good news is that it was just a horrible manky infection and he had his final 4 teeth removed (all canines) and his mouth given a good antibiotic sluice out and he managed the anaesthetic ok considering his age (14).
    I picked him up at 5.30 and he was a bit dopey but since being home has toileted properly, drunk loads and eaten lots of food. He was starving and evidently having absolutely no teeth is not a barrier to scoffing his tea and then another small meal after that :)
    He's sleeping on the bed now but seems well. A massive relief. Been worried to death all day.

The treatment cost £400 including painkillers and antibiotics for the next week but it's a small price to pay for having my furry friend feeling better and happy. :)

Other than that, not a lot has happened today - just the usual exam pandemonium, thankfully there's only 2 more days until half term.

Having my hair coloured and cut tomorrow after work (I have a lovely grey streak) but that's budgeted for.
    Looking forward to a sit down, a bath and an early night, dog permitting
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So pleased the dog is ok, horrible waiting for the call. Cut and colour to cover the grey streaks for me tomorrow too.
  • mumblingtaff
    edited 24 May 2018 at 8:32PM
    Options
    So pleased the dog is ok, horrible waiting for the call. Cut and colour to cover the grey streaks for me tomorrow too.
    Thank you Red. He still seems ok - it's amazing how quickly they bounce back, even at his age :)

Just been thinking in the bath about a few jobs that need doing so here's the list to keep me on track....

1. Get photo for new driving licence
    2. Get some euros
    3. Book dog a hair cut for a week or two to give him chance to heal
    4. Claim Saturday working overtime
    5. Buy toiletries for France - done
    6. Buy dog food for dogs holidays at mum's - done
    7. Get hair sorted - done
    8. Meet mum halfway on Saturday to swap dog over
    9. Ironing and packing
    10. Clean out car boot - done
    11. Put diesel in - done
    12. Look into new shower room
    13. Wash spare room bed ready for mum visiting during half term - done
    14. Clean conservatory
    15. Book summer holiday

Should keep me busy enough over the next week or so.... ;)

We're off to France on Sunday (providing the dog is ok), so quite a few of the small jobs need to be done tomorrow and Friday around work.
    I downloaded a new audiobook last night ready for the trip (already have one that I haven't had a chance to listen to yet so that should see me brought the 4 days away) and have a couple of unread books so don't need to buy any new ones. I washed the necessary bits and pieces on the weekend so just need to do a bit of ironing and shove the clothes in a case . It's only a few days in the countryside so I don't need too much, maybe one or two evening outfits for the odd meal out but otherwise it's a very casual affair.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad your dog has come through the operation and great that he can still eat with no problems...amazing!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Thanks Honeysuckle.
    He actually seems even better than before the operation now - just one day later and he's eating like a pig, being playful and raring to go on walks. It will never cease to amaze me how quickly they recover.

It's been a very long day - got to work at 7am and literally didn't stop, even for a wee, until 3pm. The interviews for my current job were today and I was involved in the selection process and then had a billion other things to do but I made sure I left at 3 so I could come home and let the dog out for half an hour before dashing to the hairdresser to get my roots and fringe sorted out. Managed to also pop to the supermarket and buy plenty of dog food and treats for his stay at mums whilst I'm away in France. Also picked up toiletries to go away and so have ticked a few jobs off the list :)

Have just walked the dog again now it's cooler and he seems fine.
    Transferred the money for my hair do over into the current account from the "holding" account.
    Just going to wash the spare room bed and watch a bit of recorded telly before an early night. One more day......
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Thank the Lord it's Friday!!! Don't think I could have done another day.... It's been a very long term. But it's over now :):):)

I have a very irritating cough and am worn out but am going to look on the bright side and it will all get better from here.....
    Managed to get home by 4pm and took the dog for a nice long walk in the drizzle - the cooler weather suits him better (but not me!) and he's looking positively perky :)

Since being back I've tidied the kitchen, sorted out the dog's food for his holiday, phoned mum, cleaned the wooden floors (wet mucky paw prints), hoovered the whole house and had a general tidy round. I hate coming home to a less than spotless house after holidays so it needs to be sorted tonight, just need to flick a duster round and give the bathroom a clean when I've had a bath and it's sorted.

Need to do some ironing for the trip and pick up some euros (will get them from the supermarket) and I'm ready. I'm meeting mum tomorrow morning to give her the dog (we meet halfway as its a 3-4 hour journey), will be longish drive but I'm happy that he'll be well looked after and is healthy enough to go away.

Not sure what I'm doing this evening yet - OH has been to a funeral this afternoon and may not be in a very sociable mood and I'd rather leave him to it if he's not overly keen. We'll see. I am tired and have to get up early to set off for Wales with the dog so an early night wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • mumblingtaff
    edited 31 May 2018 at 10:25PM
    Options
    Afternoon all from France !!!
    Arrived safely on Sunday and have had a lovely time so far - it's gone really quickly and we're flying home again tomorrow.
    The time has been spent lounging around by a pool whilst OH plays golf (was invited to traipse around the course with them - no thank you!), going for runs in the morning, eating nice simple food and drinking wine, reading lots of books and generally relaxing. I think I've managed to switch off !!!
    The farmhouse and outbuilding are very old and has been converted to holiday lets and our friend still lives in the farmhouse. It's got lots of land with loads of wild animals roaming about (including wild boar, pheasants and these giant furry things that look like a cross between a beaver and a rabbit) so I'm never bored while he's off golfing.

I've run every morning with OH - mostly 5km but one shorter one too. I wasn't sure how that would go as we're both competitive but strangely we've ended up encouraging each other. Wonders will never cease!
    He even took me out for a romantic lunch at a lovely little restaurant by the sea yesterday.....

Anyway, I've had lots of time to reflect and think about the future and what I want to achieve as my initial goals in the title of my thread have changed somewhat over the past few months - have a new job , am not single and need to work harder with the finances from now on.
    I'll post again on the re-evaluation of life !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure