PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    I did my March food shop today which has added quite a bit to the freezers - but largely stuff that will be eaten this month. I spent £90.04 and should have enough to last the month. I have a lot of frozen fruit and veg from the garden last year and that needs to be eaten up.

In - four loaves of sourdough bread, 8 pints of milk, 2 blocks of cheddar.

Out: joint of beef.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    I've not been great for a couple of days, started off with an attack of gout (yes ladies do get gout) and then my back started to hurt but I'm not sure if its my back or my hip (replacement 3 yrs ago) ibuprofen and paracetamol are not holding it at the moment, can't sleep hence this 6am posting.

Ooh, you have my sympathy. There's nothing worse than referred pain because you can't treat it locally and you can't tell which bit is causing the pain. After I damaged my back I used to take such a cocktail - 2x600mg Ibuprofen 4 times a day (on prescription, obviously) and then I had a supply of 30mg codeine for whenever I had an "episode" and I took 2 of them up to four times a day and Paracetamol for regular pain. Nightmare! - Sometimes you need to beat it to let everything relax and then you can work out what is really going on.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    I hope your pain passes soon zafiro. Lurking lurgy has hit. Thankfully DS was fed at a school thing this evening so I can just go to bed shortly after him. It does mean stuff's not getting eaten, but that's not much of a problem with the ravenous boy. I got some mince out earlier so that will be used tomorrow either as pasta and nanny sauce or cheeseburger quasadilas... Which I obviously can't spell.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In: portion of savoury mince
    Out: chicken pie, oven chips, peas and corn
    Use up: end of a tub of cottage cheese
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of shopping and re-stuffing of the freezer lately in terms of buying meat and more frozen veg. I cleared out a few things from the pantry, cupboard, and counter tops today when I made a delicious apple and pear crumble. Things are looking rather skint this month and I'm waiting for some invoices to clear from clients. So, definitely eating from the cupboards and the freezer. I did the shop for the week today and all the fresh vegetables should last until next week Thursday, easily. In an attempt to stretch meat more without too many carbs, I think stir fries may be in my future soon. This is along with cutting the meat smaller in some cases too. A few weeks ago, that was a great lesson in "I have enough".

Anyway...

Things to cook this weekend:
    - mushroom and leftover greens risotto
    - salad with beef meatballs, feta and Lebanese bread
    - vegetable strata
    - chili (from the freezer)
    - cornbread
    - maybe a boar stew with the meat in the freezer

Here's a first draft of an inventory of the various spots in our kitchen:

FREEZER
    - Ikea pancakes
    - wild boar
    - meaty lamb bones
    - 6 shrimp
    - 2 frozen bags of chili
    - 2 frozen bags of different veg soups
    - Dr. Oetker’s spinach pizza
    - parsley
    - thyme
    - 1kg of ground beef
    - 250g of salmon
    - 1 kg of mushrooms
    - grilled eggplant
    - 2 frozen entr!s (for OH’s lunches most likely)

FRIDGE
    - ham, one slice open
    - fresh pack of ham slices
    - chorizo slices
    - 6 pork chops = 1kg (going to repackage and freeze these)
    - 1 eggplant
    - 1 big zucchini
    - broccoli
    - bagged salad
    - red sweet/bell peppers
    - leftover pesto
    - gouda cheese
    - parmesan cheese
    - cheddar cheese
    - mozzarella
    - feta cheese
    - soup vegetables (big leek, etc)
    - chipotle peppers in a sauce
    - anchovy paste
    - almond butter
    - french dressing
    - butter
    - bacon jam
    - milk

COUNTERTOPS
    - clementines
    - bananas
    - 1 pear
    - 15 eggs
    - onions
    - ginger
    - garlic
    - turmeric
    - sweet potatoes
    - new potatoes
    - cherry tomatoes

CUPBOARDS
    - almond butter
    - tinned sardines
    - tinned mackerel
    - tinned smoked trout
    - 3 jars of baby clams
    - shirataki noodles
    - ramen noodles
    - M & S cheese crackers
    - crisp breads
    - prunes
    - seaweed snacks
    - canned tomatoes
    - tomato paste
    - sun dried tomatoes
    - cornmeal (2 types)
    - white flour
    - white sugar
    - almond flour
    - white sugar
    - low carb brown sugar replacer
    - low carb white sugar replacer

PANTRY
    - peanuts
    - spaghetti
    - capellini (angel hair pasta)
    - penne
    - various beans
    - seeds
    - dried apricots
    - soba noodles
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Speaking of boar stew, does anybody have recipes for that?
  • Maiden_Mum
    Maiden_Mum Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    2 portions of spaghetti bolognaise out of freezer plus some spaghetti from cupboards.
    Might use up some baking supplies tomorrow as OH is out all day.
  • Hollyberry
    Hollyberry Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were out from 9am to 11pm yesterday, so not much has changed in the stocks, save for a picnic.

In: nothing
    Out: crackers, cheese, raspberries, bananas
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just been shopping and bought some ice cream which was £2 instead of £5. Safely secreted in the outdoor freezer so it can emerge at Easter as a real treat (for those allowed some). I also bought a humungous joint of Pork that is for our Easter Walking group Roast - it is easily big enough for 8-10 and not everyone eats 4-legged meat. I also have some Beef mince and Chicken thighs to portion up and freeze. I wanted a bit of mince for stuffed peppers but I bought a big pack to stock up a bit.

I have not done my Mon-Fri plan yet (except that stuffed peppers will feature) - I could do leek lasagne (leek sheets instead of pasta) and leek broccoli and cauliflower cheese with what I have in.

We have a sheet of pork ribs for tonight that I will slow roast for several hours and just have with a bit of salad.

The boys can use up a pack of rhubarb topped with leftover crumble mix tomorrow that will free up a corner of my indoor freezer. I have a piece of brisket to slow roast for tomorrow so that will complete the meal with a pudding (not for me though).

I'm off to make pies now that will transfer peas and sweetcorn from bags to pies but remain in frozen state until early May, (my turn to cook that month) mixed with condensed soup and leftover chickens. I must check if r/m pastry is suitable for our vegan lunch-club member, if not I shall be making a small batch to make up a veg pie or tart for her. I like to be organised.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    IN freezer and cupboards, things from the weekly supermarket shop. Out nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback