Probate Delays

Options
I hope this information might help some of you waiting for probate to be granted.

I submitted a probate application to Winchester Probate Registry 28th March.

On 2nd May they were processing applications dated 11th March.
Today they are processing applications dated 28th March.
So in 6 weeks they have processed c2.5 weeks of applications.

I am still waiting for return of my application which hopefully will be next week and I have my fingers crossed there won't be any issues or errors found.

I wish the HMCTs would publish this information instead of the 20 days mentioned on the website so applicants had some realistic info.

Good luck to everyone else waiting.

Comments

• DJ_Mike
    DJ_Mike Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2019 at 2:02PM
    Options
    This is useful to know. I submitted a paper PA1A probate application around 8th April (think it got there 10th) to Newcastle registry. Up till now I've had no progress update and asking about it has only generated a blanket reply that they're dealing with applications received on or after 24th March. The lack of movement in that date has been the most frustrating aspect because if it changed, I could at least estimate how long it'd be. Your estimation of 6 weeks to process 2.5 weeks of applications is helpful.

Now to hope they finally get to mine sometime probably in another 6 weeks. :(
  • Scooby_Snack
    Options
    Again I hope my experience might help others still waiting for probate. Today I received an email from the Winchester Probate Registry indicating they had not received my IHT421. HMRC have confirmed they sent it in April but it obviously has not been received. HMRC are emailing it to the Probate office so I hope my grant will be issued shortly.

Had I known this had happened I could have chased with HMRC weeks ago. The HMRC probate phone line advises that processing of IHT forms can be checked 25 working days after submission. It is bizarre that you get no acknowledgement from HMRC when you have to send them such important and original documents.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My IHT and probate forms were submitted 29/03/19. Having heard absolutely nothing, I have tried to ring but got cut off every time (we cannot help you on this number. Goodbye.) Finally listened to all the options and got through to a very pleasant lady at HMRC who informed me that my forms had been overlooked. Nothing had been done at all. She is now treating it as priority (wow) but that will set everything back months. Some IHT was to be paid out of National Savings and the form which I had included with all other IHT forms had not been sent off, so the IHT has now not been paid by the due date.
    I am very unhappy. I would have had no problem with delays due to queries, checking etc. - but to know they just haven't bothered doing anything is just too much.
    I shall be putting in a formal complaint - but not until everything is settled. Don't tempt fate!
    I found the HMRC Trusts and Estates newsletter April 2018 very helpful in stating what should have happened in what timescale.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hm-revenue-and-customs-trusts-and-estates-newsletters/hmrc-trusts-and-estates-newsletter-special-edition-april-2018
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Again I hope my experience might help others still waiting for probate. Today I received an email from the Winchester Probate Registry indicating they had not received my IHT421. HMRC have confirmed they sent it in April but it obviously has not been received. HMRC are emailing it to the Probate office so I hope my grant will be issued shortly.

Had I known this had happened I could have chased with HMRC weeks ago. The HMRC probate phone line advises that processing of IHT forms can be checked 25 working days after submission. It is bizarre that you get no acknowledgement from HMRC when you have to send them such important and original documents.

That's odd. I was told last year that IHT421s were emailed by HMRC to Probate Office. I wonder how could yours not have been received?:cool:

hjd wrote: »

I found the HMRC Trusts and Estates newsletter April 2018 very helpful in stating what should have happened in what timescale.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hm-revenue-and-customs-trusts-and-estates-newsletters/hmrc-trusts-and-estates-newsletter-special-edition-april-2018

That all sounded very promising when I was dealing with Probate application this time last year. However, the process took longer. Delays were at Probate Office, rather than HMRC.

The delays are almost certainly due to the glitches in HMRCTS new computer system

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/news/stories/law-society-challenges-hmcts-probate-delays/
  • Scooby_Snack
    Options
    So finally after 12 and a bit weeks we have Probate from the Winchester Registry.:j
  • skswindon
    skswindon Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 July 2019 at 3:43PM
    Options
    Here's my experience, so far, with my application for probate using Winchester.

Sent off IHT and probate forms to relevant offices on 21 May 2019. Paid the IHT I had calculated via bank transfer the following day.
    Cheque for probate application cleared on 29 May
    Received letter from HMRC dated 17 June stating no further IHT due (at this stage) and that form IHT421 had been sent to the probate registry so grant can be issued.

So, I'm expecting Grant of Probate by mid-July, all being well.

Incidentally, as the estate was relatively simple (property, investments in bonds, ISAs and National Savings) but did fall into IHT bracket, I did not use a solicitor as the forms, though numerous, seemed clear and easy to complete.

I'll advise when I get probate.

Update:
    According to the Wills & Probate search site on GOV.UK, probate was granted on 26 July. Just waiting the paperwork now.

So around 10 weeks from submission to grant from Winchester office. I wonder how long it would have taken if I'd paid £5k for a solicitor to do it!
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I submitted my probate application to London probate registry on 29 March. They signed for receipt on Monday 1 April.
    There was IHT due; I sent these forms in on the same date and signed for 2 April.
    I contacted HMRC (when I eventually found the number) on 19 June to find that they had forgotten about it and nothing had been done.
    Yesterday I received confirmation from HMRC of the calculations and tax; they sent IHT421 to the Probate Office on 20 June and today I received the grant of probate from the Probate Office.
    Now I can collect in the money but HMRC may still decide to query the figures.
  • DJ_Mike
    DJ_Mike Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got a letter in the post today, containing my grant of Administration! Not a word of any progress before now - just the result. So, I can't argue with that - but a bit more communication would have been much less stressful!

This was applying to Newcastle registry, originally on 8th April.
  • Robinette
    Robinette Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone submitted their IHT and probate application online recently? Just wondered what the turnaround might be - the website says eight weeks and the press up to eleven weeks, but would be nice to hear from anyone who has recent experience.
  • mr_bojangles
    Options
    Robinette wrote: »
    Has anyone submitted their IHT and probate application online recently? Just wondered what the turnaround might be - the website says eight weeks and the press up to eleven weeks, but would be nice to hear from anyone who has recent experience.

Had been watching this post as was keen to understand the current timelines too. This was my experience:

25/06 Probate application submitted online and documents (will) posted
    26/06 Probate documents delivered to HMCTS Harlow
    01/07 Probate documents confirmed received
    02/07 IHT400 delivered to HMRC (calculated tax myself via simple calculation)
    05/07 Final payment of IHT made via Direct Payment Scheme
    22/07 IHT301 IHT Calculation issued (received 27/07) and presumably IHT421 forwarded by HMRC to HMCTS (I never chased this)
    04/08 Probate approved!

It did take me ~6 months to pull together everything for the IHT400 and the associated 15 schedules I needed to submit, but that's another story!

I found the online probate process really simple so would recommend anyone to use that over their local probate office. Just watch out for all of the old documentation/forms that haven't been updated to reflect this process yet...

Hope that helps someone!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure