Probate Delays

Options

Comments

• Robinette
    Robinette Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 September 2019 at 8:20AM
    Options
    We applied for probate online on 8 July and it was granted by the London office yesterday, so exactly 11 weeks. There were no 'stops', so the official turnaround of six to eight weeks was not met in this - and I suspect many other - instance(s).
  • Robinette
    Robinette Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another unexpected delay - although probate was granted on 22 September, we have not yet received the certificate. Can anyone advise how long this usually takes?
  • caeracer
    Options
    Coming up to 12 weeks wait for the house we are buying now - looking at options to move in under licence before probate has been granted.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    We have been holding off applying for probate on my father's estate as the estate value is between £5,000 and £50,000 (i.e. the assets/savings in his sole name) so we would save £215 in probate fees under the proposed new fee structure.

Seems like the secondary legislation to introduce the new fees looks like it isn't going to happen now - particularly as its a policy unlikely to be popular with an election coming up and the government no longer has a majority.

I know there are IT issues as well - but all this chaos/delays resulting from people trying to to avoid probate fee hikes which probably are never going to happen now!

On BBC news this morning: Government have scrapped the proposed increase in Probate fees
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 October 2019 at 9:14PM
    Options
    pip895 wrote: »
    Paper version of IHT400 sent in 23/8/19 (no online version to my knowledge) with IHT421. Same day I applied for probate on line and posted the will. Some talk of 20 days - but I think that is working days so ~ a month. I will wait and see - I certainly hope it is closer to that than 20 weeks!!:(

It took two months to the day for grant to come through - via email confirmation - just waiting for the paper copies now - So not exactly fast but back in the normal range?

Papers arrived - 26th/10/19
  • caeracer
    Options
    We have been waiting 17 weeks now.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have been waiting 17 weeks now.

You mean that the executor of the deceased who owned the property you want to buy has been waiting for 17 weeks?

Has he made any enquiry as to the reason for the delay?
  • caeracer
    Options
    Yes, he has been waiting and therefore we are also waiting.

He has enquired multiple times and is told that there is no hold up and that they are just getting through them as quickly as possible.
  • Cr18886
    Options
    I have now been waiting over 7 months for Grant of probate through Winchester Probate Registry. Original application made end of March 2019. After 8 weeks solicitor contacted me to inform since their fee cheque had never been presented then had to assume that they had lost the application which included the original will. Thereafter a further month of to and fro before a copy will was accepted. Copy application made 10th July , cheque cleared 17th July. Now 15 weeks later nothing. Keep chasing the solicitor but they tell me Registry not replying to emails. Daily search on the Gov probate website gives nothing other than identifies other cases through Winchester where probate granted for estates of deceased in August. Recorded message by Winchester advises that probate should be processed within 12 weeks. At my wits end as dragging on and on and no mechanism to chase or even verify that the application is moving forward. Can’t even write to the MP in view of the general election. Have thought of going into the Registry Offices to try to get an update but will suspect they will not engage with me as the application was made through the solicitor. Any suggestions or advise would be much appreciated.
  • dog_nanny
    Options
    Well done to Harlow sub-office. Mum-in-law died 13 August. We applied for probate online on 18 August. Got an email on 6 October to say probate had been granted. (Do they really work Sundays!)

Much quicker than we expected, although it is a very simple estate with no IHT.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback