PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Whatever the actions of out elected representatives we should remember that many people, men and women gave their lives so we could vote.

When the time comes please make the effort to cast that vote.

Now back to prepping.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Blue_Doggy
    Blue_Doggy Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 September 2019 at 8:11AM
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I find myself wondering what will happen when we next get a chance at a general election - a seismic shift in political power or a mass refusal to vote, on the grounds that it doesn't achieve anything?.

I very much hope as many people as possible will exercise their right to vote. It was hard won. We’ve just commemorated the 200th anniversary of the Peterloo Massacre, a refusal to vote is a betrayal of all those who struggled to win the right for everyone to vote.

Except in a one-party state with compulsory voting, there will always be people whose vote is cast for what may turn out to be the losing side. To regard that as one’s vote “achieving nothing” is erroneous: it indicates the spread of opinion, and shows that not everyone agrees with the views of the majority (as living in a free country and having freedom of speech allows).

If people give up because they don’t think their vote will be in the majority, the winning side will be encouraged in their arrogance and do their best to foist their muppetty dystopias on everyone and the country. They will regard electoral silence as agreement or at least acquiescence.

I’d just like to recall the result in the 1997 General Election in the Winchester constituency, which was a very safe Tory seat. In 1997, the Lib Dem candidate won by 2 votes. The Tory threw his toys about and demanded a rerun, which he got. In the resulting by-election the Lib Dem won by over 20,000.
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I always vote and always will, but I am concerned that many people may just give up on the electoral process.

I moved areas within my city and voted (in local elections) for the same party but in a different ward. The party lost the seat in my old ward by exactly one vote. What we do makes a difference.

Love the lesson on Winchester.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • unrecordings
    Options
    You would hope the impasse of recent years would encourage people to vote, but I fear there's still going to be major apathy next time around. My great (or great great) gran was a suffragette, so there's always been a sense of civic duty to vote in our family. However I know some very politically minded people who've never voted once in their life. As an aside, our local polling station is the pub across the road - very civilised

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oops :(

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=76260997&postcount=1146 , just the last part , the link and my thoughts.

In regard to Brexit prep as I've said before, no nothing special. If nothing else I could not sensibly afford to stock up anyway!

Can't see a mass issue unless you need "mega posh brand x" only item or want something odd like Asapargus out of season perhaps, then again you'll still be able to get it no doubt just at a vastly inflated cost.

I think this is like the war years with rationing perhaps ? In that those with a few erm 'connections' and plenty of cold hard cash could quietly obtain whatever they wanted ? An 'under the counter' type thing. I would not be surprised if it went on 'black market' etc back then.

The only danger is panic buying I think for now, medicines are a concern perhaps however they have had enough time to stockpile things where possible and there are (afaik) plans for items that have short lifespans to get across.

Its impossible to say what will happen as no one has done this before. Did France not vote to leave about 12 years ago or thereabouts ? Not sure what quite happened with that. May research it later. :)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I can't wait to cast my vote and I hope that the majority think like that. Our way of thinking here is similar to the thinking behind the saying 'a woman scorned'. We have a lot of fight when we're irked. I just hope that we re able to speak clearly one way or another and force through a decision. This frustrating process is now pathetic. Tom Watson is calling for a second ref before a GE. He's a remain MP in a 68% leave constit.

I applaud any MP who acts for what their constit voted for, some are lucky in that they agree I guess. Does anyone know of any MP who voted differently from their constit. but have acted in Parliament for the wishes of their locals? Leave or remain?
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    I can't wait to cast my vote and I hope that the majority think like that. Our way of thinking here is similar to the thinking behind the saying 'a woman scorned'. We have a lot of fight when we're irked. I just hope that we re able to speak clearly one way or another and force through a decision. This frustrating process is now pathetic. Tom Watson is calling for a second ref before a GE. He's a remain MP in a 68% leave constit.

I applaud any MP who acts for what their constit voted for, some are lucky in that they agree I guess. Does anyone know of any MP who voted differently from their constit. but have acted in Parliament for the wishes of their locals? Leave or remain?

For those not "in the know" one of the easier ways is via here:

https://www.mysociety.org/wehelpyou/find-out-how-your-mp-voted/

You can get the info directly from the Parliament site but it can take a bit longer to find, whereas that link if you pop in your postcode will show you clearly how they voted recently ;):D click "show votes' on the right of the page shown after the Postcode.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've always voted in elections but believe me, I am war weary of this whole issue now. What worries me is the damage this has done to the electorate as a whole in their trust in the democratic process and the value of their vote.

It's gloomy enough casting off summer but going into autumn and winter facing this depressing and uncertain situation will be a double whammy for much of the population I suspect.
  • Blue_Doggy
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I always vote and always will, but I am concerned that many people may just give up on the electoral process.

I moved areas within my city and voted (in local elections) for the same party but in a different ward. The party lost the seat in my old ward by exactly one vote. What we do makes a difference.

Love the lesson on Winchester.

Not intending to criticise you, GQ, I would be very surprised if you were ever a non-voter. :)
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p No offence was taken, hun.

But I am worried about people just giving up voting as a concept, this whole ridculous shenanigans in parliament gets more stupid by the day. Not only are they wasting time on the issue but they are wasting time which can and should be spent on other issues.

I suspect a lot of people are looking at their own MPs, grinding their teeth and waiting to give them an electoral smacking.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family